Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I know Apple, make that Steve Jobs, can be VERY bloody minded when it comes to digging his heels in about what HE thinks something should do, as opposed to giving the customers everything he is able to.

Watching many video's of upcoming Tablets which are going to realistically start flooding the market next year, and these are Mk1 models from other makers, who will obviously be busy working on Mk2 versions to correct any issues with their 1st gen products.

We already see quite common things from other makers of Tablets even at this early stage.

1: Flash playback (to some degree) showing that they offer the FULL web experience.

2: HDMI output ports for displaying movies held on the Tablet onto your large screen TV.

3: Built in card slots for plugging in memory cards from various devices.

4: Mini or full size USB ports for reading in data or connecting things.

5: Some have a built in stand that means you don't need a funny folding case of bits of random household items (a book) to prop the device up.

Plus one of two other smaller bits and bobs., such as Camera or Camera's which we are all pretty sure Apple will be fitting next year.

All of these other things (1 to 5 above) I can almost see Steve Jobs not wanting to do, due to how he see's the product different from perhaps others in the industry.

I just wonder if he would deliberately hold out and just refuse point blank to offer customers such features, if most other tablet makers do offer customers these built in options.

Personally I want to iPad to be at the top of the pile, and leading the way. Pushing ahead both in hardware and software AND connectivity.

I don't want to see adaptors hanging off the thing as standard ports are not fitted into the device, and I don't want to see things being make purposely difficult just because 1 person feels that's not what customers should be doing.

I think Apple make great products, but as much as I think that, I don't want their Flagship? product to be technically held back.

I don't hold any blind loyalty to Apple either, and if someone else brings out something better I will not have any reason not to change for the alternate device.

Again, I hope Apple/Steve does not ruin the device by wanting to hold it back whilst other Tablets storm past it in features and functionality.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I can't see them putting HDMI ports on the iPad as Airplay should allow you to get the output on your TV.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
1- will not happen, don't get your hopes up.

2- apple tv is sold for $99 bucks and using airplay users can stream video from iPad to their HDTV. Steve won't offer HDMI out and cannibalize sales if apple tv.

3&4- Steve does not see iPad as a file management system. At least for me, Dropbox is a workable and effective solution to this problem.

I guess at the end of the day, ipad is going to resemble more of an iPhone than a Netbook.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
It might be nice to have a built-in SD slot rather than having to carry around the camera connection kit, but USB? HDMI? Really?

For what exactly?

AirPlay = no need for HDMI

USB? You can't access the file system, so an external drive is useless. Printing is done via AirPrint. What on earth do you need a USB port for on an iPad?

Card slots? Really? You want that?

I read this thread thinking you were going to suggest that Apple might not want to wait until April to release iPad 2, but I never imagined it would be for the reasons listed here.

I do think that Apple might want to release the new iPad in January, complete with more RAM, faster HTML rendering, and front and rear cameras, just to be a bit more aggressive given that RIM and Samsung are getting into the fray. We'll see. I guess it really depends how many iPads are selling at the moment, and whether it will need a bump after Christmas to re-invigorate sales. Of course, that would leave a lot of people who received an iPad for Christmas a bit disgruntled. Maybe February or March?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think it will hurt it. For some reason, people are willing to buy whatever apple puts out even if it is lacking in some other functionality that other tablets will be able to offer. They just convince themselves that it isn't something they really need/want since Steve Jobs says it isn't important.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Interesting replies from some people here.

I wonder if some people here think other forthcoming Tablet makers should remove ports from their devices?

Like the Archos tablet with HDMI out, MiniSD card slots and even a full size USB port (also a stand)

All these items should be removed by Archos from their product.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I wonder if some people here think other forthcoming Tablet makers should remove ports from their devices?

Like the Archos tablet with HDMI out, MiniSD card slots and even a full size USB port (also a stand)

Having or not having ports or video outputs or card slot or kick stand isn't important. If the iPad had them people would still buy it, and not having them haven't kept people from buying it. It's the smoothness of the software, the elegant yet sturdy hardware, and the richness of the overall user experience that draw people to Apple products and keep them coming back for more.

I saw an Archos tablet at an electronics store once. It was before the iPad came out. I picked it up, noted that it had lost its stylus, the built-in kick stand seemed flimsy and prone to breaking off, and the screen quality was mediocre. The software isn't even worth recalling. I put it down, and told myself I'd wait for the Apple tablet. And I haven't regretted that decision.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
I could see possibly an SD card slot, but not much else in terms of ports. I think you will see more in terms of dongles / accessories that utilize the 30 pin connector.

Just keep in mind that any new hardware / ports will require extensive work to iOS to make them work, especially anything that adds new functionality. SD may work because of the connection kit's functioning, but I don't see HDMI or USB making their way into iOS hardware specs.

There most likely will be a front facing camera for facetime, tho. I doubt they will go for a rear camera on a 10" device.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
For me, the iPad is a portable device. It's not designed to have various cables dangling from it all the time.

I see no problem with the current approach for the occasional time I want TV-out or to connect an SD card.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
There is some truth to what you're saying. Naturally with the progression of technology apple will have to follow if they want to stay competitive.

However, Apple has already addressed some of those issues by making file saving, printing, etc. compatible via airplay or airprint. The iPad is extremely capable, and when paired with other apple devices the options are incredible.

I think the number one thing that must be on the second edition is a camera. That being said, I thought your post at first was also addressing the fact that Apple should probably lean forward on releasing the update (before April), not because people are dissatisfied, but because some folks are waiting for a tablet with updated features. I would say a lot want an iOS device...but with the surge in sales of the android cellphone market, some people will compromise because they are impatient.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
So, just so I'm clear about this.

People thing that if the iPad had a mini hdmi connector in the side of the unit that you could connect to your or a friends tv to watch a 720 or 1080p movie being streamed from your iPad. That would be a bad thing?

And whilst many other tablets are going to offer this functionality, apple should not?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
There is some truth to what you're saying. Naturally with the progression of technology apple will have to follow if they want to stay competitive.

However, Apple has already addressed some of those issues by making file saving, printing, etc. compatible via airplay or airprint. The iPad is extremely capable, and when paired with other apple devices the options are incredible.

I think the number one thing that must be on the second edition is a camera. That being said, I thought your post at first was also addressing the fact that Apple should probably lean forward on releasing the update (before April), not because people are dissatisfied, but because some folks are waiting for a tablet with updated features. I would say a lot want an iOS device...but with the surge in sales of the android cellphone market, some people will compromise because they are impatient.

I guess I'm saying that apple cannot forever just assume everyone will buy their product just because it's apple despite the specs.

People have bought the iPad because it's the best one, the first decent one. But I hope apple don't feel this is enough.

Gone are the days where just being apple is enough and I'm certain if other products come along that offer more in the future people will jump ship.

Of course Mac owners, apple lovers will buy the apple product but that's not the majority.

I just want apple to stay at the top as it's the best, not just due to the sticker on the back.

I'm personally prepared to make some sacrifices, but I'm not sticking with any product If there are a world of better ones out there.

The biggest thing apple could do for me would be to put in some card slots and play back video in all popular formats without conversion.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

People thing that if the iPad had a mini hdmi connector in the side of the unit that you could connect to your or a friends tv to watch a 720 or 1080p movie being streamed from your iPad. That would be a bad thing?

And whilst many other tablets are going to offer this functionality, apple should not?

It wouldn't be a bad thing but it isn't something apple would do. You can get an hdmi cable for $3. Or you can get Apple's video cables for $50. If people are willing to buy their $50 video cables, why put an hdmi port on there?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland

I don't need a mini HDMI connector, and would probably never use it. Ergo, I don't want one. (Incidentally, this is done by AirPlay. Don't have an Apple TV? Gosh…you'll just have to get one!)

Apple are leading the way in terms of technology and usability, but they've been working for several years to remove unnecessary bits of hardware that don't get used. Apple killed off the floppy drive with the iMac, they killed off the optical drive with the Air and they also killed off Firewire by removing it from the Pro lineup. Putting in stuff like this costs money which gets passed on to the end consumer, which isn't really what a customer wants.

Apple have manufactured the iPad in such a way that you will use every single hardware feature of it: the dock, volume button, mute button (questionable!), headphone jack and mic. If you want anything else you'll have to buy it yourself. And I don't.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

No, I for one, don't think any of your suggestions are bad. Just that Apple doesn't need them. Take USB, for example. I'm finding that my needs for file transfer are met by DropBox and FileBrowser. Even if the iPad had a USB port for plugging in USB flash drives, I doubt I'll use it often. Same with video outs -- my TV connects to my home network, if I want to stream movies to the TV, I do it from my hard drive, I've never yet been in a situation where I want to hook up my iPad to a TV. If Apple did add the features you're suggesting, they might get a few more sales, but they sell enough iPads, even without these features. They might eventually add some of those features, if the competition warrants, but more likely, most of those technology are headed the way of the floppy drive. By the time Apple needs to add them to stay competitive, they likely would be replaced with something better, with Apple at the forefront of adopting and developing the new technology.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I don't need a mini HDMI connector, and would probably never use it. Ergo, I don't want one. (Incidentally, this is done by AirPlay. Don't have an Apple TV? Gosh…you'll just have to get one!)

I would rather carry around a cable than an Apple TV so I can hook my iPad up to a tv at a friend's house...

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Just as an addon to a previous reply, with Apple removing as much unnecessary hardware as possible, it means there's a market for tablet maker X to come in and create tablet Y with feature A, B, C, D, E, etc. And they'll probably all be pretty bad.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010

I think that you have to consider what Apple are trying to do.

For most of the other Tablet manufacturers they have no choice but to put these ports in place to be able to do things. If, for example, the Archos tablet doesn't have an HDMI slot then you can't connect it to your large TV. That is their only option.

Apple tend to try to think of alternative solutions for these problems, such as Airplay for outputting to a TV. You obviously see this as them risking being left behind, but they have a good track record of actually leading things by being innovative.

I'd say that if, for example, you can't see past HDMI as a way of getting your video to the TV then you should consider whether you have made the right choice with Apple products. There are always going to be these issues using Apple kit. If you want a more standardised approach then one of the other tablets will probably do the job better for you.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I guess I'm saying that apple cannot forever just assume everyone will buy their product just because it's apple despite the specs.

People have bought the iPad because it's the best one, the first decent one. But I hope apple don't feel this is enough.

Gone are the days where just being apple is enough and I'm certain if other products come along that offer more in the future people will jump ship.

Of course Mac owners, apple lovers will buy the apple product but that's not the majority.

I just want apple to stay at the top as it's the best, not just due to the sticker on the back.

I'm personally prepared to make some sacrifices, but I'm not sticking with any product If there are a world of better ones out there.

The biggest thing apple could do for me would be to put in some card slots and play back video in all popular formats without conversion.

You make a lot of assumptions about what people are going to want in these devices. We have yet to see any real competition in this market and we have yet to see prices on readily available 9.7" tablets by big OEMs (Samsung, Dell, Sony, IBM, etc.)

The iPad has set the bar on modern tablets that have the possibility of replacing a computer for certain tasks. I am excluding 7" tablets here because I just don't feel that they offer the real estate to do a lot of the really ambitious stuff that some iOS iPad apps do. Although for those that just want to watch movies and browse the web, I do think they are a viable alternative.

The bar consists of a $499 entry point, incredible display quality, 10 hour battery life, and a robust operating system.

If a major OEM can give us $499, incredible display quality at 9.7", 10 hour battery life, and a a robust operating system optimized for that size device, and then are able to add flash, 2 cameras, 3 USB ports, hdmi, 2 SD cart slots, and a built-in stand, then there is a discussion to be had.

My guess is that OEMs will not get $499 with a 9.7" great display, 10" hour battery life, and an android system that is as good as iOS on a tablet, so they will add things like flash, 2 cameras, etc. in order to obscure their lacking parts.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
It might be nice to have a built-in SD slot rather than having to carry around the camera connection kit, but USB? HDMI? Really?

For what exactly?

USB? You can't access the file system, so an external drive is useless. Printing is done via AirPrint. What on earth do you need a USB port for on an iPad?

I read this thread thinking you were going to suggest that Apple might not want to wait until April to release iPad 2, but I never imagined it would be for the reasons listed here.

I do think that Apple might want to release the new iPad in January, complete with more RAM, faster HTML rendering, and front and rear cameras, just to be a bit more aggressive given that RIM and Samsung are getting into the fray. We'll see. I guess it really depends how many iPads are selling at the moment, and whether it will need a bump after Christmas to re-invigorate sales. Of course, that would leave a lot of people who received an iPad for Christmas a bit disgruntled. Maybe February or March?

Competitors always get into the fray. That's what competition is all about. Doesn't mean u speed up your refresh time. Plus they are getting into the fray as Apple is getting ready to announce their new rendition of the iPad. If Apple needs a bump, I think it can hold out till March/April. People are worrying over nothing. This is no different than when Google decided to jump in the ring with Apple and the iPhone.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I think one of the reasons the iPad is so popular is because it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles. It does a few thingns and does them very well. A lot of non-techie consumers area put off by a lot of buttons, connectors, switches, etc. Because they deem something "too complicated". The ipad is about simplicity and this is where it really shines.

Add to that that it has an interface built specifically around touch where as the competition doesn't. This lack of touch interface is why every windows tablet before the iPad failed.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
To be honest, I dont think apple needs to release anything earlier...march/april is probably good timing for them

However...I selfishly hope it comes out earlier, because I am waiting for 2nd ed with a camera (hopefully not waiting in vain)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009

For what exactly?

LOOK......don't make this so hard!!

The tablet and the smartphone is all about the operating system, the look, advertising, and the APPS.

Until someone can beat Apple at these four things, it won't matter. Android will always out sale apple. But do you think Apple cares. It's all about profit anyway.

iOS is the best operating system hands down because of it's ease of use. No one and I mean NO ONE has come anywhere near duplicating that. Its simple. Its pretty and it's colorful. When u touch it, it's like touching silk. Moving icons and twirling pictures is on these devices is unlike anything ever made.

The device itself is something incredible. While everyone else is busy throwing ports and buttons on theirs, apple is staying with the sleek look. Let's face it, people are attracted to the futuristic look. Everyone is intrigued by star track and back to the future. It is what it is. We like to hold things that set us apart from everyone else. The iPhone and iPad look like something from 2022 and that's what we like.

No one can beat Apple at it's advertising game game. The money they have set aside for advertising could save our economy(exaggerated). Again, it is what it is. Their whole brand is something that's envied by the entire industry. Steves whole black t-neck and blue jeans thing is known world wide. That infamous steel look on all of it's products. The font it uses on it's packaging. The unforgettable "i" for iOS, iPad, iPod, and iPhone. Apple has it down packed.

Apps is where it's at. If they suck, you have nothing. If you don't have enough, you have nothing. If they look dull and tainted, you have nothing. Palm, blackberry, Dell, etc..they all are stuck in the 90s with their apps. Android has enough but the attention to detail and their kit sucks. Too many devices and sizes to build quality apps for android. Apple doesn't have this problem. Two devices, huge developer community, easy kit to work with.

The only way I could see Apple being defeated in any of these areas is if they forget how to evolve and stay stagnant. Can't see that happening because the competition won't let them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.