Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
So my brother and his wife are moving to London just after the New Year. They will be selling their house, storing their belongings, and renting a flat for at least the next couple of years. Right now, they are trying to decide where to live so I don't know to which part of town they will be moving. Both are extremely excited!

My brother has a great paying job, so we always have trouble figuring out what to get for the couple-who-already-has-everything, but this year it's even harder. It's got to be something worth taking to London and small enough to easily travel. I also think it would be neat to get them some sort of "experience" for when they arrive, like tickets to an event, tour or something to help them get situated in their new digs. I've never been, some I'm hoping some of you Londoners can help me out with some good ideas.

As a family, we usually never spend more than $100 on each other. His job is also one that's well connected so he gets ticket to sporting events, like football matches pretty easily. I'm really looking for ideas that only insiders could give. Me and my wife are very happy for them so we want it to be special, too. (read: we want a place to stay so we can go to Europe!)

So that's it... Whatcha got?:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A ride at dusk on the London Eye. I know that sounds touristy and corny, but when I went to London I went up there, at dusk because it was the best time to see the lights and it was pretty amazing. I'd get them tickets for that and I believe (if I recall) I bought mine online before I even left the US. I'd also get them this from Moleskine. If going to London for my first time and someone were buying me a gift, those two things would be pretty damn cool (to me at least). Again, touristy and such but for the first few months at least they'll still be in discovering mode.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
A ride at dusk on the London Eye. I know that sounds touristy and corny, but when I went to London I went up there, at dusk because it was the best time to see the lights and it was pretty amazing. I'd get them tickets for that and I believe (if I recall) I bought mine online before I even left the US. I'd also get them this from Moleskine. If going to London for my first time and someone were buying me a gift, those two things would be pretty damn cool (to me at least). Again, touristy and such but for the first few months at least they'll still be in discovering mode.

Both excellent ideas, jessica.!

I had never heard of the London Eye. That thing looks amazing! What a way to see the city. And the Moleskine is a very cool looking DIY guidebook, too. My sister-in-law will not be working for the first few months she is there and she is the type of person who would really use that type of journal.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Jessica's ideas are brilliant. I'd go with that. The one idea that popped into my mind was ice-skating at Somerset House.

Cool, literally! I'm sure they would have no idea something like this even existed, especially before the skating season ended. It looks beautiful and the Tiffany cupcakes look pretty darn good, too.;) Thanks, iBlue!

These are exactly the types of things I'm looking for...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.