Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in September, Google announced that it would be bringing the ability to edit Google Docs on the iPad and Android platforms.

Today, the company announced that it has followed through on that promise and even included support for the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing Google Docs editing to iOS devices running iOS 3.0 or later, as well as Android 2.2+ devices.
With Google Docs, we're always trying to make you more productive - and part of that means making it possible for you to get things done from anywhere, at anytime. That's why we're excited that the new documents editor now supports editing on your mobile browser. We're rolling this out over the next few days.
Google has also posted a video showing off how the mobile editing feature works. The feature will be English-only during the initial rollout, but support for other languages will be coming in the future.

Article Link: Google Docs Editing Comes to iOS Devices

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Interesting. You need the latest android (maybe 20% of all droids) or iOS from 2009...

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Wow I literally just bought Pages for iPad a few days ago wish I had known.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
I was able to edit a google doc on the iPad about a week ago. :D (I believe last Thursday)

Just edited the spreadsheet, clicked submit and it was done. Checked in the morning on a regular computer and it was saved as a change.

I didn't even know it was a problem. :eek:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Now if only Apple would release 4.2 the iPad would become A LOT more useful with multitasking and gDocs editing!

Most of my simple docs have moved to gDocs for some time now and being able to tweak them on all my iOS devices is just gravy.

B

callguinness

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Did any of you actually watch the video or try using this before rating it "Positive" and replying? It's crap.

Here's what you can do: Type letters. That's it. You can't change styles, add tables, add anything. If it's not on the keyboard it's not in Google Docs Mobile. There are exactly two buttons: "Refresh" and "Use Desktop Version". The Desktop Version is still broken and useless, of course. There are no hidden gestures that I've been able to find that let you do anything.

You can't even create new documents, or delete or rename existing ones. Awful.

wmcraver

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006
Illinois
My thoughts exactly...

Did any of you actually watch the video or try using this before rating it "Positive" and replying? It's crap.

Here's what you can do: Type letters. That's it. You can't change styles, add tables, add anything. If it's not on the keyboard it's not in Google Docs Mobile. There are exactly two buttons: "Refresh" and "Use Desktop Version". The Desktop Version is still broken and useless, of course. There are no hidden gestures that I've been able to find that let you do anything.

My thoughts exactly. It's a neat addition, but still not completely usable as a document creation tool. It's just an editor.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am really sick of you Negative Nancy's, how can anyone not appreciate some of the most beautiful music in history being available on the best music store in the world? you should all go hide under a Rick and keep your negative drool to yourself...have a lovely day!

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010

I am really sick of you Negative Nancy's, how can anyone not appreciate some of the most beautiful music in history being available on the best music store in the world? you should all go hide under a Rick and keep your negative drool to yourself...have a lovely day!

I think it's the fact that it was made such a big deal. Everyone was let down to when they built up the hype too much.

wmcraver

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006
Illinois
I think it's the fact that it was made such a big deal. Everyone was let down to when they built up the hype too much.

To be fair, Apple put two sentences up. I don't think you can charge them with building too much hype. Rather, blogs and readers created the hype and expectation that it would be something more than The Beatles.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
To be fair, Apple put two sentences up. I don't think you can charge them with building too much hype. Rather, blogs and readers created the hype and expectation that it would be something more than The Beatles.

Except that they did hype it with "a day you'll never forget." THAT is the hype.

Now, Google Docs edits via iOS = awesome. I've been reluctant to move from local MS Office files to Google Docs, but I have little justification. The only thing I NEED Office for is work docs.

My big concern - do I keep pressing the wife for an iPad for Christmas or do I wait for iPad 2 next summer? HHmmm.....

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere

I think you are just jealous of Android users since we have speech to text capability. :D

bluedevil14

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2006
Washington, DC
This is the best news I've seen in a long time. Makes me about 20x more likely to buy an iPad. If they refine it a bit for better note taking, I'm sold. Ironic a google product makes me more likely to spend money on an iOS device...:D

reezer

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Anyone got it working on their iPhone 4?

I just tried to edit a document on my iPhone 4 and I don't have any of the options seen in the video Google placed on Youtube.... Not even a keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Just because Steve hates Google, doesnt mean us (sane) people have to also hate them ;)

It provides a usable editor. Its purpose isnt to bring the full blown 'desktop' version to the mobile platform, but to enable basic editing. Which it does, very well.

So - you're wrong. Its not crap. Its better than using 'notes' :rolleyes:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Too late for me

I already moved what few Google Docs I had to Pages files on my iDisk. Still can't edit on my iPhone, but I was getting sick and tired of Google's clunky user interface.

Hoping that Pages will come to iOS some time soon...

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Whats people buying Beatles albums got to do with anything Apple ? How about they fix all their buggy software and hardware before worrying about how many people have bought albums.

Well I'm sat in a studio with 10 27" (First Gen) iMacs running 10.6.5, couple of old macbook airs, old G4 tower and Powerbook G4 all running a mix of OS9 and OSX - even have an old LC II running OS 7. No issues, no errors, no bugs in any of our Apple software. The iPads are proving invaluable, the company iPhones (3G and 4) are all fine. My first gen iPod is still going strong (never did understand all the hype about the batteries), my current 'classic' is amazing.

What problems are you experiencing?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
This is the best news I've seen in a long time. Makes me about 20x more likely to buy an iPad. If they refine it a bit for better note taking, I'm sold. Ironic a google product makes me more likely to spend money on an iOS device...:D

There are apps now that let you make docs and save them to cloud...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I already moved what few Google Docs I had to Pages files on my iDisk. Still can't edit on my iPhone, but I was getting sick and tired of Google's clunky user interface.

Hoping that Pages will come to iOS some time soon...

Get a free dropbox account, then get qucikoffice. You can edit and create docs with it and save them to dropbox, which then updates them on your computer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.