Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1
netytan
macrumors 6502

NSString & lines.

Hi again guys,

I'm looking for a way to either iterate over each line in an NSString or to to count the number of lines in an NSString so that I can iterate over them . If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Also, is there a way to strip unwanted characters from the start/end of a line: like chomp in perl or strip() in Python.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
robbieduncan

Take a look at the NSString documentation on XCode. The - (NSArray *)componentsSeparatedByStringNSString *)separator looks promising (@"\n" would be the separator)

- (NSString *)stringByTrimmingCharactersInSetNSCharacterSet *)set can be used like chomp.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:35 PM   #3
netytan
macrumors 6502

Thanks Robbie, the stringByTrimmingCharactersInSet: method was just what I was looking for .

I'm not so sure about the line separation because the approach doesn't seem unicode compatible (I could be wrong).

Code:
From the docs on "getLineStart:end:contentsEnd:forRange:"
A line is delimited by any of these characters, the longest possible sequence being preferred to any shorter:

U+000D (\r or CR)

U+2028 (Unicode line separator)

U+000A (\n or LF)

U+2029 (Unicode paragraph separator)

\r\n, in that order (also known as CRLF)
Maybe someone could answer this: in a unicode string, is the line terminator still "\n" or some other character? The string I'm working with is from an NSTextView if that helps.

Thanks again ,

Mark.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4
robbieduncan

Seems to be a fair point. Create some sort of recursive method to loop over separating by each possible line end character in turn?
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:40 PM   #5
northen
macrumors member

I wrote a C library to do something like that, available at

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/velocity/

It's a bit stubby right now, but it will eventually have a VCount method. I haven't worked on it for a bit, though :P

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming