Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tara151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I have a 1st generation iPod touch (3.1.3 OS) and it keeps randomly shutting off if I don't have it plugged in. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. It was fully charged and I was listening to music and it died in 5 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't even last that long. When I plugged it back in it said the battery was around 90%. I had the wifi shut off so I know that's not the problem. I've tried shutting it down many times and that doesn't help.

AWeber3030

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, OH
Have you tried restoring in iTunes? Sometimes if you're having issues, a factory reset will do wonders. Just make sure you back it up for you do it.

Tara151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Have you tried restoring in iTunes? Sometimes if you're having issues, a factory reset will do wonders. Just make sure you back it up for you do it.

I tried it yesterday and it didn't work. It does last about 10 - 15 minutes now.

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
There is a possibility that the unit is just old and the battery cannot hold the charge. If you continuously plug the usb cable with your 1st gen ipod touch to your computer, ie persistently charging the unit, does it also shut down on its own as you described ?

Tara151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
There is a possibility that the unit is just old and the battery cannot hold the charge. If you continuously plug the usb cable with your 1st gen ipod touch to your computer, ie persistently charging the unit, does it also shut down on its own as you described ?

Nope. It works completely fine when plugged in. My sister bought an iPod touch the same day I did and she has had no problems with hers. She is using the same OS and me too.

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
If that is the case, it is not the OS or any apps issue but from what I can see, it is the battery at fault as it cannot hold the charge. It may be the issue of how often the battery has been charged as it has a definitive lifespan.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The battery is shot. You can upgrade or you can have the battery replaced. If you decided to replace your batter go here:

http://www.digiexpress.us/iPod-Touch-1G_c_32.html

They charge a flat fee of $25 dollars for any work they do plus the prince of parts in this case the battery is $19.95. You can try to replace the battery yourself but I understand there are some snarly clips that often break when you pop the digitizer off the back plate so I think the 25 dollars is money well spent.

I personally would upgrade to the new 4G however I would have the 1G refurbished you can use it as a backup.:D

Last edited:

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
shutting down

I thought it was app crashing but perhaps it is a battery thing. It hasn't happened in email or Safari but whenever I use a game it suddenly shuts down to a black screen. I can get the white apple back but it will sit there forever. I can get iTunes to recognize it and restored it twice. Still shuts down within a few minutes. Battery shows full charge. Will it show a charging status and reach a full charge and still need a new battery?

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
My experience on crashed apps on my 4G is that I get bounced off to the Homescreen. It would probably cause a total shutdown unless the apps interferes with the iOS. But it may be different from other generation models.

If the battery is functioning, you should be able to see the battery indicator falling but not when it is shorted or faulty, there may be some cells in the batteries which are depleted and not all of it.

I do not know much about battery technology so I may be wrong here. But here is my take anyways. A battery is like a long walkway when you travel on it, the shorter the distance to your destination (in this case, full discharge of the batteries). But like road, over time part of the road may turn to potholes or collapse, in which case, you would be prevented from walking over it. If you encounter that, although you still have 90% of the way to go, there is no way to crossover. I would think that in a battery, if there is some faulty cell in it, when your usage reaches to that level and encounters that faulty cell, it cannot utilize the rest of the cells beyond the faulty one and shut down.

There is a finite lifespan to the battery and 2 to 3 years is pretty much the average on how long it can last especially if you charge every 1 to 2 days.

Tara151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I brought it to the genius bar and they said the OS seemed to be working fine and that they don't know why it isn't working. The said to try and do a total restore (I had restored it from a back up in the past) and that it should work after that. I tried and it didn't solve the problem. It doesn't seem to be the battery because it's levels are fine before it crashes and as soon as I plug it in the battery level is still up. It doesn't matter what I'm doing before it crashes. It's done it while I'm using apps, listening to music, or arranging icons. Thank God my currently cell phone contract is up in 3 months so I can finally upgrade to an iPhone. It's just annoying to put up with until then.

Last edited:

tyronelee12

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Well If You Have Cydia And You unInstalled A Tweak Saying "If You UnInstall this App You Cannot Repair Any Damage Using Cydia" If It says That Then You Have To Go To An Apple Store And They Will Know What Is Going On
OR If You Have An Ipod Touch 1g Then If You Use It Alot Or Use Apps The Battery Will Die And If The Apple Logo Goes O And Turns Back Off Then You Are In Serious Trouble Like Me My Ipod Touch won't turn on

----------

And I Am Getting A New Case And Won't Able To Use It :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.