Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Hi there I'm looking to buy a Mac pro for film composing and music recording. Tell me if this config is good or not.

Programs I wanna run
- logic
- east west composers collection ( comes on a separate hard drive)
- Sibelius 6

Would this Mac pro config work
Base line 8 core Mac pro
2.4Ghz
6gb ram -gonna buy more if need
120gb mercury extreme ssd to boot applications and os
1 tb Reg hard drive for files.
1tb External HD for time machine

I've heard that the quad cores are faster in some cases than the 8 cores but I want my system to be more less future ready. Is this a smart choice?

Thanks for your help

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'd get the 6-core single CPU model instead. Far faster clock speed, that 2.4Ghz is rather sluggish, and only 2 cores less.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
If it were me, I would be torn between the 2.4x8 and the 3.33x6 - While Logic 9.1.3 is pretty good up to 16 threads, not everything is 100% efficient on using multiple cores. I think I would go with the 3.33x6 just for the edge on things that were not great with multiple cores. Infact if you do the math on just CPU horsepower, you are better off with the hex core at the substantially higher clock speed.

You're going to need a LOT more than 6 GB RAM. I would go straight to 24 or even 32 (8 GB DIMMs on the single CPU model). East-West Play will go through RAM like you wouldn't believe.

SSD for boot is good. I would get the EW library on a RAID 0 stripe ASAP. I would get 2 WD Caviar Black 2 TB disks and stripe them for just the sample libs. I would use a 3rd WD Black for the audio/Midi tracks and other user data. Fourth drive as Time Machine for the user data and OS. External tray or toaster for bare drives for rotating clone sets for everything.

If the RAID 0 sample lib blows up, you can reload from the clones. It's not like you are changing it very often, so don't waste the drive space on it in your Time Machine volume.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
And get one of the OWC eSATA cards so you can run the external drives at full speed.

How big is the EW Composer Bundle anyway? BTW - even if you don't need the size, get the 2TB drives - they're faster. And make a partition on each for the EW lib stripe - you want to "short stroke" the drives so the speed critical stuff is at the front of the drive (outer tracks on the platters).

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Sorry guys I'm a bit of newb when it comes to raid 0 and stuff like that. Is it possible to put it in lamene terms. If any lol. Sorry I really appreciate it

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
here is an example of an external raid0 it uses 2 hdds in an eight hdd case. it is a bit tough to read but the black external case holds 4 drives
a 1tb

a 2tb and a pair of 1.5tb drive in a raid0 giving a fast 3tb raid0 volume. that black case can hold 8 2tb hdds your macpro can hold 4 2tb hdds. that is 24tb no problem at all.

Attachments

• external raid0.png
    external raid0.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0562small.jpg
    IMG_0562small.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 119

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm not sure what the attraction to SSD is. I've got a 2008 8 core, which I use for photographic work. I understand that SSD means faster boot times, and faster application launches. But I reboot the system once or twice a month, and I have enough RAM that I leave the application(s) that I"m using open until the project is finished. Or I'm need to free up the RAM for new project. Or until I need to reboot. Whichever comes first.

Unless you have an unlimited budget, I would plough the money saved on an SSD into more RAM, or more pro-apps.

just my 2 cents worth..... take it for what's worth....

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Orange San Francisco Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

philipma1957 said:
here is an example of an external raid0 it uses 2 hdds in an eight hdd case. it is a bit tough to read but the black external case holds 4 drives
a 1tb

a 2tb and a pair of 1.5tb drive in a raid0 giving a fast 3tb raid0 volume. that black case can hold 8 2tb hdds your macpro can hold 4 2tb hdds. that is 24tb no problem at all.

A bit off topic but please could you tell me the make/ model of tha dasit looks exactly wha i have been looking for if you dont mind thanks - op sorry for oftopic

Now back onto topc you definatly need a load more ram get 2*4 from apple then populate the rest of the ram slits wit 4gb third party ram for very little comparitively
Now above you debate weather a 6 or 8 core would be best for you well thats your decision bsed on yourneeds but remember if you get a six core the max.ram you can ever have is 16gb whereas the 8 core.can have 32 gb thibk about yourram usage in 4 years time with bigger projects new.programs ect

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Orange San Francisco Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

A bit off topic but please could you tell me the make/ model of tha dasit looks exactly wha i have been looking for if you dont mind thanks - op sorry for oftopic

Now back onto topc you definatly need a load more ram get 2*4 from apple then populate the rest of the ram slits wit 4gb third party ram for very little comparitively
Now above you debate weather a 6 or 8 core would be best for you well thats your decision bsed on yourneeds but remember if you get a six core the max.ram you can ever have is 16gb whereas the 8 core.can have 32 gb thibk about yourram usage in 4 years time with bigger projects new.programs ect

link to the case
read reviews on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=rosewill_8_bay-_-16-132-016-_-Product

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Ok so would I be hadicapping myself if i went with the 8core with LOTS of ram? im thinking long term also....

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
I'm not sure what the attraction to SSD is. I've got a 2008 8 core, which I use for photographic work. I understand that SSD means faster boot times, and faster application launches. But I reboot the system once or twice a month, and I have enough RAM that I leave the application(s) that I"m using open until the project is finished. Or I'm need to free up the RAM for new project. Or until I need to reboot. Whichever comes first.

Unless you have an unlimited budget, I would plough the money saved on an SSD into more RAM, or more pro-apps.

that makes sense thanks.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Ok so would I be hadicapping myself if i went with the 8core with LOTS of ram? im thinking long term also....

The only reasons I can see to buy the base 8 core is 1) that the additional RAM slots are absolutely vital and 2) that you expect to have a lot of cash later and you're going to put good CPUs in at that time.

Otherwise the 6 core is simply better. It will be slower now with the 2.4x8 and it will be slower later as well.. unless you swap the CPUs. It's not a matter of waiting for software to catch up. The best you can hope for is that software catches up enough to create parity.

Can you expand on what you mean by thinking long term too?

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
The only reasons I can see to buy the base 8 core is 1) that the additional RAM slots are absolutely vital and 2) that you expect to have a lot of cash later and you're going to put good CPUs in at that time.

Otherwise the 6 core is simply better.

ok see. I hope 16gb of ram is enough though =/ lol this is getting a bit stressful

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii

Otherwise the 6 core is simply better. It will be slower now with the 2.4x8 and it will be slower later as well.. unless you swap the CPUs. It's not a matter of waiting for software to catch up. The best you can hope for is that software catches up enough to create parity.

Can you expand on what you mean by thinking long term too?

well i mean is that programs in the future might require more ram and more cores. I wouldnt have to buy a new computer. thats all

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
well i mean is that programs in the future might require more ram and more cores. I wouldnt have to buy a new computer. thats all

There is nothing magic about cores - 2 cores at 2 GHZ are roughly equivalent to 1 core at 4 Ghz. It is the number of instructions per second that can execute - in a perfect world it wouldn't matter how you got there. In practice, a lot of software doesn't scale perfectly, so speed wins over cores.

The single CPU models will take up to 32 GB RAM using 4x8GB DIMM's - I would imagine that is adequate for a few years at least ;)

There are a couple of future expansion options:
1) offload all of the signal processing plugins to Logic Nodes running on cheap Mac Mini's or an old Mac Pro you can probably get pretty cheap
2) Use another MP as an external MIDI instrument. Everything doesn't have to be in a single box. A lot of guys are dedicating a machine just to LA Scoring Strings (LASS), a very intensive VI

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
OK I think this is what im going to get.

hex core
with 32gb ram
3.33ghz

use up 2 of the HHD bays in raid0 for Eastwest libraries and have that backed up in an external HHD.

The stock apple HHD will be for audio/midi data - backed up on another external HDD

last HDD bay will be for OS and applications

I hope all this is up to par. thanks guys for helping me BTW!! I am very grateful =)

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
There is nothing magic about cores - 2 cores at 2 GHZ are roughly equivalent to 1 core at 4 Ghz. It is the number of instructions per second that can execute - in a perfect world it wouldn't matter how you got there. In practice, a lot of software doesn't scale perfectly, so speed wins over cores.

The single CPU models will take up to 32 GB RAM using 4x8GB DIMM's - I would imagine that is adequate for a few years at least ;)

There are a couple of future expansion options:
1) offload all of the signal processing plugins to Logic Nodes running on cheap Mac Mini's or an old Mac Pro you can probably get pretty cheap
2) Use another MP as an external MIDI instrument. Everything doesn't have to be in a single box. A lot of guys are dedicating a machine just to LA Scoring Strings (LASS), a very intensive VI

OK I think this is what im going to get.

hex core
with 32gb ram
3.33ghz

use up 2 of the HHD bays in raid0 for Eastwest libraries and have that backed up in an external HHD.

The stock apple HHD will be for audio/midi data - backed up on another external HDD

last HDD bay will be for OS and applications

I hope all this is up to par. thanks guys for helping me BTW!! I am very grateful =)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Sounds like a good plan. Be thankful you're not a photographer. At this point you would start a new thread about graphics cards, Apple ones and and 3rd party ones that you could flash. That's at least 5 pages. And then you'd start one about monitors, and whether Apple monitors are worth the money, vs Dell vs Eizo vs NEC, etc etc....And that is at least 15 pages! Yikes!

Good Luck. :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
OP, I would suggest the 6c over the 8c as well.

a 1tb

Holy crap dude. That's a lot of drives.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK

I thought that about SSD's too at first. But in most applications, especially Photoshop, you are still reading data from the drive Photoshop is installed on. Whenever you use an application the computer still needs to read from the drive for the application to opperate.

Im looking to get a 120GB from OWC soon.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
$4000 on a laptop? REALLY?

I don't care what brand it is.... $4000 on a laptop is ridiculous in this day and age. Heck, it was ridiculous back in the 90's!

What exactly are you going to be doing on it that you need to spend that much?

-EDIT-
I'd dump that money into a nice desktop and a halfway decent laptop. You'll never reach the full power of a desktop in a mobile platform... especially for graphic and cpu intensive applications like film editing/encoding

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.