Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Local students invent tsunami warning software, runs on XP a...

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Local students invent tsunami warning software, runs on XP and OSX
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:51 PM   #2
settledown
macrumors regular

they said they will make a Tiger Dashboard Widget as soon as Tiger comes out.
settledown is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Dr. Dastardly
macrumors 65816

I can just see Steve talking about it now with the use of f12. "Boom, with one keystroke I can see that my stocks are good, flights on time, its raining outside, the dollar still sucks, and a tsunami is about to hit Taiwan. Boom, boom, its that easy."
Dr. Dastardly is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:14 PM   #4
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Come on!

These guys wrote a program to display existing tsunami warnings from some other website! The title had me thinking they had some sort of cool simulation thingies or something.

It's not an invention.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:23 AM   #5
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

I think it is more significant becasue of the simplicty of what they have done using services that are already there and making them easily accessible to every one. From what I have heard in the News, to set up a tsunami warning system to monitor the Indonesian/Indian ocean would cost several hundred thousand dollars and would have to be run by Geologists and universitys and the like and these guys have done something simple for the cost of a nights work....
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:12 PM   #6
autrefois
macrumors 65816

I think this is a great idea. Even if their program is taking data from elsewhere, they are making those data more accessible to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dastardly
I can just see Steve talking about it now with the use of f12. "Boom, with one keystroke I can see that my stocks are good, flights on time, its raining outside, the dollar still sucks, and a tsunami is about to hit Taiwan. Boom, boom, its that easy."

Speaking of booms, do we have an official "boom" count for the keynote? I counted but one boom during last year's keynote, but there was a pretty good number of them this year, if I recall correctly. The feed was choppy for me when I watched they keynote so I didn't do a count (yet ).
autrefois is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:19 AM   #7
solvs
macrumors 601

This really shook people up didn't it? It reminds me of after 9/11, and all of the sudden places that would never even think about something like this happening are terrified it's coming to get them or someone they care about. I think if you live nowhere near an ocean you're safe, but there's always friends, family, and vacations to worry about I guess.

I just hope this type of thing stays free. I hate it when people try to capitalize on fear and tragedy.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:03 AM   #8
maya
macrumors 68040

Great for people who live near an Ocean or are hit by tsunami(s) on a regular bases (Japan).

One can also use this while vacationing, other than that the warning time is no much. The same can be said for a tornado(s) and hurricane(s).

Do we have widgets for every natural disaster now?

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:17 AM   #9
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmacguy
I think it is more significant becasue of the simplicty of what they have done using services that are already there and making them easily accessible to every one. From what I have heard in the News, to set up a tsunami warning system to monitor the Indonesian/Indian ocean would cost several hundred thousand dollars and would have to be run by Geologists and universitys and the like and these guys have done something simple for the cost of a nights work....

These guys didn't create a warning system. They just created a simple way for a tsunami warning to get to your computer after it's been issued.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is online now   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion