Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2005, 01:38 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

20,000 iPod Shuffles sold in first 4 hours -- not counting o...

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: 20,000 iPod Shuffles sold in first 4 hours -- not counting online purchases
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Peyote
macrumors 6502a

Correction...2000, not 20,000 sold in the first four hours

Last edited by Peyote; Jan 14, 2005 at 01:54 PM. Reason: speling
Peyote is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Lol... That really would have been something. Probably good that it's not true thought, otherwise the backorder time would be insane.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:28 PM   #4
jholzner
macrumors 65816

If you check out amazon.com...the iPod line now makes up 7 of the top 10 best selling mp3 players. the iPod shuffle is in that top 7 (both models)...give it another couple of days I'm sure it will work it's way higher!
jholzner is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:00 PM   #5
24C
macrumors 6502a

Bet it was not far off 20,000 including online sales, it took me under 4 hours to order one of those great value Apple 1G thumb drives, with free iTunes player ;-)
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:20 PM   #6
solvs
macrumors 601

I've already heard a lot of who cares if it plays music, that's a great price for a USB drive. They said the same about the iPod mini, but you don't even have to tear this thing apart. The plays music thing is cool though. And it's main selling point. But that's what we have real iPods for.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Nermal

My parents are getting me a Shuffle for my birthday (27/1)
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:24 PM   #8
ThePreacherMan
macrumors newbie

Can't Wait but have to! Patience is a virtue!

I ordered mine through the Apple Web site and was told that I would have it in 5 business days. I should see it Monday, Lord willing!
ThePreacherMan is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:02 PM   #9
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePreacherMan
I ordered mine through the Apple Web site and was told that I would have it in 5 business days. I should see it Monday, Lord willing!
Lucky "bar steward", mine doesn't get shipped till the 25th :-((
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:06 PM   #10
maya
macrumors 68040

I am buying 2 x 1Gig models. As soon as I see one in person, as usual it takes time for some products to make they journey NORTH.

I am in no big hurry though.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:27 PM   #11
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya
snip...I am in no big hurry though.
Neither am I, I can always plug my headphones into my PowerBook assuming the lanyard holds up;-)
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:06 PM   #12
brandon6684

I was going to get a "real" iPod, but now that they've released the Mac mini, it makes my old iMac G3 look ready for an update, so I may have to settle for a shuffle for now.
brandon6684 is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:49 PM   #13
polyesterlester
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to polyesterlester Send a message via AIM to polyesterlester Send a message via MSN to polyesterlester
My order says 3-4 weeks... Come on, I can't wait that long!

polyesterlester is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:00 PM   #14
macridah
macrumors 6502a

I've been calling all the apple stores around me for a shuffle, and they all sold out what they had the first day. I really wanted to get one for my cousins birthday.

another hit ...
macridah is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:23 AM   #15
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
I've already heard a lot of who cares if it plays music, that's a great price for a USB drive. They said the same about the iPod mini, but you don't even have to tear this thing apart. The plays music thing is cool though. And it's main selling point. But that's what we have real iPods for.
Forgive me I am lazy. But does the Shuffle also allow use as a USB keychain drive?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:53 AM   #16
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
Forgive me I am lazy. But does the Shuffle also allow use as a USB keychain drive?
Oh yessssss, but AFAIK you have to create a space for it, if you don't want the 'autofill' in iTunes to gobble it up.

Last edited by 24C; Jan 15, 2005 at 02:56 AM.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:08 AM   #17
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
Oh yessssss, but AFAIK you have to create a space for it, if you don't want the 'autofill' in iTunes to gobble it up.
If that is the case, Apple may want to triple the orders on this one. I will be be speaking to my buyer on Monday about us getting in on the Shuffle.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:34 AM   #18
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
If that is the case, Apple may want to triple the orders on this one. I will be be speaking to my buyer on Monday about us getting in on the Shuffle.

Thanks
Have fun, by then backorder will be 4-6 weeks :-)
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 04:01 AM   #19
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
Have fun, by then backorder will be 4-6 weeks :-)
I think that i might be able to convince the buyer that the wait is worth it.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:58 PM   #20
wdlove
macrumors 604

Congratulations to Apple on another hit. Just hope that the wait for the shuffle won't turn off sales. Seems to be very versatile.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:01 PM   #21
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macridah
I've been calling all the apple stores around me for a shuffle, and they all sold out what they had the first day. I really wanted to get one for my cousins birthday.

another hit ...
at least the rest of the world won't have to wait 6 months to get their hands on the shuffle.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:06 PM   #22
Kingsnapped
macrumors 6502a

Here's the Amazon link. Pretty cool:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...149029-6941723

Here's my shuffle pics!

http://www.pitythefoo.com/brian/shuffle.htm

I was in class during the Keynote, so didn't even learn about it until that evening. I find it funny that I got mine before a lot of people who ordered the moment they heard offical news.

I learned my lesson by watching the iPod mini order fiasco.
Kingsnapped is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:09 PM   #23
3Memos
Banned

Whats your report on the shuffle?
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:19 PM   #24
Kingsnapped
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
Whats your report on the shuffle?
It's the perfect compliment to my 3g10G 'pod. It's so small, my cell phone is now the biggest thing I carry around, and the neck lanyard is great. There's nothing like walking down the street, hearing a song you don't like and pushing a spot under your shirt to change it. I haven't been able to take it to the beach, or skating yet, but I went for a walk last night (in the rain) and the shuffle did it's job perfectly.

Sound quality is just as good as you would expect from an iPod. I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds great to me. Interfacing with iTunes is very clean, and the sync time is pretty good. You can have it autofill from your library, or any playlist. Another handy feature is in the iPod prefs. You can have iTunes recompress songs to 128kbps AAC just for the shuffle. This change does not affect your library, so you don't have to worry about re-encoding your songs just to fit more in there.

USB stick-functionality is perfect. I moved the pictures on that link from my powerbook to a lab computer (HP something or other) without a problem. Only snag with USB use, is you cannot listen to music while it's a drive.

iPod Shuffle is a lot smaller and lighter than I expected, and I can't wait to get ahold of a waterproof case to take it kayaking or swimming.
Kingsnapped is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:33 PM   #25
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnapped
...snip... Only snag with USB use, is you cannot listen to music while it's a drive. ... snip...
Thanks for the report, do you mean using the headphones and plugged in to a USB port? or opening up iTunes and seeing the drive space?
24C is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion