Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

margotspop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I know this one has been done a few times before, but I forget now the ones that were mentioned. I want someplace that's cheap, will allow me to customize my site and maybe even upload some mp3's for download.

I remember that some host that's been mentioned a few times - anyone recall the name?

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
i use this host. it cheap, you get a lot of advanced features, and if they dont have it they most likely wont have trouble getting it. my hosting was $35 for a whole year. its a very flexible company and they do most anything to make the customer happy.
http://darkmindshosting.com/

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I use arteryplanet.net

They have many advanced features as well and it costs about $45/year for their cheapest plan. And domain registration is just $10 with a plan.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If someone is looking for a more professional level of hosting that's still pretty inexpensive - I've been very happy with Dreamhost. It's basically $8 a month for their lowest end plan, but even that is more than enough for most any small business.

It's certainly overkill for what the original poster wants, though.

Before I switched to them I did some asking around and hunting. Dreamhost has secure access options for most everything, which you'd think would be typical but turns out to be surprisingly unusual. Why anyone would log in to their email in plaintext or use FTP for file uploads nowadays is beyond me! :confused:

Edit: I'd originally put $10 a month when actually it's $8.

margotspop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Thanks for the recommendations guys - just got back from the weekend. Will check them all out.

Thanks again

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
I've had not issue with Macosx.com

Been using macosx.com for about 5 months and it has been very reliable.

Cost: $10/year for 100 MB webspace & IMAP e-mail.

Pricing options exist for more webspace.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
http://www.doteasy.com is a good one. If you register a domain name with them or transfer one to them you get free hosting with 100mb storage and 1gb of bandwidth, as well as 10 pop or webmail accessable email addresses. You can upgrade to 1gb storage, 20gb of bandwidth, 100 email addresses, as well as PHP, SQL, and other server side hosting features for $8 per month.

They have had really good customer service for me and my 4 sites I maintain through them, and also the half dozen my father-in-law manages through them. Thier registration fees are pretty good, too. Maybe not the best, but definately competitive with anyone else.

Rob

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
EMKoper said:
Been using macosx.com for about 5 months and it has been very reliable.

Cost: $10/year for 100 MB webspace & IMAP e-mail.

Pricing options exist for more webspace.

Did you happen to check out there tech support? They charge per incident.

evel 1 - Non-Priority Support - $12.95 per incident
Support Schedule - Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm CST (10 hour response or less)

Level 2 - Priority Support - $18.95 per incident
Support Schedule - Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm CST (6 hour response or less)

Level 3 - Priority Extended Hour Support - $24.95 per incident
Support Schedule - Sunday - Saturday, 8am - 10pm CST (4 hour response or less)

Call me crazy BUT that's a little TOO expensive.

~e

margotspop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I ended up going with DreamHost. Small Orange wasn't taking on new people at the time, but the deal with DreamHost was too good to resist. A year's web hosting - plus domain name registration - all for less than $10. They have a special offer going for new sign-ups. They seem professional and offer everything I need for now.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
All I know is if you come across a hosting company by the name of "Hostony.com", DO NOT even bother. I had the worst experience with them. There servers were constantly down and the support was practically non-existent. Just a heads up.

~e

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
i use a small company called Cyberwurx... http://www.cyberwurx.com

not sure if they have the same deal i got.. but for $15/mo i get 800mb webspace, 15 gig of bandwidth a month, mysql, php, perl, 10 pop accounts (sorry no imap :() ssh access, on a shared server... it's a pretty sweet deal.. and anytime i've had a problem any emails i sent are usually replied to within an hour at tops.. great company, couldn't recommend them more

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
A Small Orange is a very good choice for beginning web developers. We're actually going to sign up with them today for their Tiny service ($30 a year) and a domain name ($10 a year). When you think about it, that's... $3.33 a month? I mean cmon, you spend more on drive-thru lunches a DAY than you do on that a MONTH! I'll post back here later once we've signed up to let you know if they stand up to their already stunning reviews. :)

macuser93924

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
Tools

Most of these seem like options, but which has the best online tools to build a site without using an applcation on your mac. Or is there a good freeware program that i could buy.

macuser93924

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
Oops i meant download. It said shareware but then i changed it to freeware and didn't change the rest of the sentence.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Back with a definite "yes" concerning asmallorange.com. Setup was amazingly fast, and everything's running very smoothly. I was amazed by the amount of features you get for the price! :eek:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
ASO is definitely a company i would consider when my 1&1 trial ends, but thats still two years away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.