Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

HP halts orders for Apple's iPod music players

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: HP halts orders for Apple\'s iPod music players
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
24C
macrumors 6502a

Price protection? I thought the HP iPods were cheaper than Apple ones and had better warranty built in. Does this mean iPod prices might drop?
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:43 PM   #3
ZildjianKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
Price protection? I thought the HP iPods were cheaper than Apple ones and had better warranty built in. Does this mean iPod prices might drop?
It means if Apple drops the prices on the regular iPods, HP gets screwed since they would have to lower their HP iPod prices as well and take the hit themselves.

Totally unrelated, HP iPods have better warranties, and cost the same I believe.
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:53 PM   #4
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianKX
snip...Totally unrelated, HP iPods have better warranties, and cost the same I believe.
OK on the first part, what I should have said was discounted instead of cheaper
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:07 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G4

I realize that Apple's reputation as a tough negotiator is very important. They deal with record labels! They deal with Microsoft!

But come on, stop picking on poor HP! We don't know the whole story behind the alleged bad blood, but it sounds like they aren't being unreasonable.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:00 PM   #6
brandon6684

Hope fully HP won't do like Dell and pull out of the agreement and start making their own.
brandon6684 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:02 AM   #7
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Can't believe that HP did not talk to any of their resellers that also dealt with Apple products before signing. This is typical Apple. I think back when the eMacs first came out they allowed 1% or less to be sent back for stock balance and or price protection.

Apple is a very heavy handed task master.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:17 AM   #8
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
I have a feeling the iPods across the line are prepping for at least a $50 price cut sometime this year. iPod capacity is beyond what 99% of consumers' need, and Apple should now focus on making iPods cheaper, by way of tech depreciation or greater efficiency in the supply chain.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 01:35 AM   #9
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
I have a feeling the iPods across the line are prepping for at least a $50 price cut sometime this year. iPod capacity is beyond what 99% of consumers' need, and Apple should now focus on making iPods cheaper, by way of tech depreciation or greater efficiency in the supply chain.
Good point. But the real issue is how Apple deals with the partners. This is nothing new, but one could have hoped that HP had the brains to realize what they were getting into.

Working in retail, I can only wish my store I work for, as well as others could get away with charging a 10% restock fee on open goods. Regardless of which manufacturer it came from. Yet people will buy from them with such restrictions.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:52 AM   #10
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
Good point. But the real issue is how Apple deals with the partners. This is nothing new, but one could have hoped that HP had the brains to realize what they were getting into.

Working in retail, I can only wish my store I work for, as well as others could get away with charging a 10% restock fee on open goods. Regardless of which manufacturer it came from. Yet people will buy from them with such restrictions.
I thought the HP relationship was a good thing for Apple...here you have somebody in the mainstream Windows camp trying to integrate into the 'digital hub thing' and putting iPods in places where Apple don't go. Ok there have been posts about inept/ignorant selling of HP iPods in this forum, but I thought HP had added something to the Apple iPod experience, and put a slightly different slant on it...and I don't just mean customised transfers;-)

3memos said 'I have a feeling the iPods across the line are prepping for at least a $50 price cut sometime this year. iPod capacity is beyond what 99% of consumers' need, and Apple should now focus on making iPods cheaper, by way of tech depreciation or greater efficiency in the supply chain.'

So is HP anticipating this and wanting a revised price from Apple, or maybe their margins aren't high enough? Have there been warranty issues? Who knows.

Last edited by 24C; Jan 15, 2005 at 02:08 PM.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:56 AM   #11
outerspaceapple
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to outerspaceapple
I think HP is just being a baby about this. They're whining because they didn't get a larger market share last quarter.

Also, Apple is one company known to *not* compete on price (with the new and only exceptions of the iPod Shuffle and Mac Mini), so I really dont think HP has anything to worry about. Am I wrong?
Cassettes = 42 lbs.
60GB iPod = 6.4 ounces

SquareCaster - Podcast RSS Manager http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19530
outerspaceapple is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2005, 08:32 AM   #12
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Considering that I got a $40 break on my 40 GB HP iPod, I don't think they're all that worried. They're the people offering discounts, not Apple.

Besides, if Apple changes technical specifications, why would they not receive the latest and greatest?
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:24 AM   #13
solvs
macrumors 601

I'm sure they'll work it out. I hope they will. It may not mean much to most people, but overall this was good for Apple and HP both.

On the plus side, price drops soon?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:27 AM   #14
clayj
macrumors 604

Hey, outerspaceapple... your signature contains the following:

Vinyl Records = 843 lbs.
Compact Disks = 131 lbs.
Cassettes = 42 lbs.
60GB iPod = 6.4 ounces

You mock vinyl records, but the fact is that of the four technologies you listed, only records would still be playable following an EMP/nuclear war.
clayj is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion