Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuroMadera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Hello, I am totally new to the MAC world. Forgive me as I was living in the dark ;-)

Anyway I have two questions:

I have imported one of my pst files into Outlook and know that the folder now lives in Documents/Microsoft user data/office 2011 identities/main identity/data records from previous posts on here. My question is if I ever needed to go back to Windows Outlook for any reason (yes I know that will never ever happen) what is the best way to save this folder again and reimport it into Windows Outlook?

I have a second /pst file which is about 2.2 gigs. I have tried to import it twice and it stopps about a 1/4 of the way through and aborts. Is this a sign that it is corrupt and needs to be repaired or could it be something else? If it possibly is corrupt what is the best way to repair it?

JhonSteve

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Your PST file is oversized. Microsoft Outlook 2002 and earlier versions limit the size of Personal Folders (PST) file to 2GB. Whenever the PST file reaches or exceeds that limit, you will not be able to open or load it any more, or you cannot add any new data to it. This is called oversized PST file problem. More detailed information can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/problems/2gb-pst.htm

You can use Outlook recovery tools to solve the problem. Below is a list of them:

http://www.datanumen.com/aor/compare.htm

Some tools will convert the oversized PST file into Outlook 2003 format. Others will split it into smaller pieces. Most of them provide a free demo so you can try first.

Steve

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The Above Workaround

Will help, but to be honest.....I diched Outlook, It's so full of bugs, loses mail, refuses to login etc.

I went back to Thunderbird....MS on MAc? Not a great experience (for me at least)

Word is so so, And that's all I use apart from Excel very occasionally. But Outlook is heartbreak x1000

Just look at the support pages for Mac with the tales of woe. I really wouldn't trust it as my email client.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Outlook Mac can import a .pst file but it cannot export. There is no easy way to take your mail back to Outlook Windows.

Outlook Mac is v1 software and does not compare to Outlook Windows that has been around for years. Running Office 2010 in Parallels or VMware is your best option.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Outlook Mac is v1 software ...
No, Outlook 2011 is not Version 1 software. Outlook 2011 is the latest version of Microsoft Entourage with a new name. This is evidenced by the fact that the version number for Outlook 2011 is "14" and the version number for Entourage EWS, the last version to carry the old name was "13." Outlook 2011 looks and feels like Entourage 14. Let us not forget that this is the second time that Microsoft has released software named Outlook for the Mac. The first was Outlook 2001. Unlike Outlook:win, this little ditty was free. Although Outlook 2001 worked, it looked like a custom DBMS application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.