Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:22 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

No More Internet for Them

Category: Reviews
Link: No More Internet for Them
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:38 PM   #2
the_mole1314
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to the_mole1314
Good and bad for Apple, more people getting fed up with Windows, bad is that there is NO MENTION of Apple anywhere in that article. Zip, zero, nada.
the_mole1314 is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Applespider
macrumors 603

There are a lot of people who have no idea that there's another option aside from giving up using the Web.

I mentioned to a guy at work, in passing, that there were no OS X viruses and he spent the next 2 hours online trying to prove me wrong. Eventually he came over and sheepishly said that he was amazed and he might now get his non-techy mother a Mac soon.
Applespider is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:38 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applespider
I mentioned to a guy at work, in passing, that there were no OS X viruses and he spent the next 2 hours online trying to prove me wrong. Eventually he came over and sheepishly said that he was amazed and he might now get his non-techy mother a Mac soon.
No kidding. It's not just that people don't KNOW Macs are safer from viruses.... it's that they KNOW nothing could be safer than Windows!

Talk about blinders.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Superhob
macrumors regular

"No one is immune. Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates discovered spyware on his personal machine not long ago."

Oh the irony....
Superhob is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:45 PM   #6
JCentourage
macrumors newbie

But what happens if...

My question / fear is won't malicious individuals come after Apple and its users if our machines are touted as "Safe" All we need is people saying 'we don't have a problem with that ' a little too loud, and we darn well could have a problem.
JCentourage is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:45 PM   #7
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhob
"No one is immune. Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates discovered spyware on his personal machine not long ago."

Oh the irony....
Yeah, payback's a bitch, eh Bill?

Anyways, a more correct statement would have been "No Windows-user is immune." Heh heh heh...
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:47 PM   #8
neilrobinson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to neilrobinson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhob

Oh the irony....
i though i saw somewhere bill gates had the "best" maybe not? cause he dont own a Mac
Help MacRumors FOLD! - My Folding Stats
neilrobinson is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Applespider
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCentourage
My question / fear is won't malicious individuals come after Apple and its users if our machines are touted as "Safe" All we need is people saying 'we don't have a problem with that ' a little too loud, and we darn well could have a problem.
Which is why you won't see Apple touting it as an official selling point. But some newspapers have already started picking up on it - and while it would be good to keep quiet, not let anyone know and keep OS X secure, it's not really fair to let our friends and colleagues suffer.

There are many people on the forum better qualified that I to give their opinions on the relative securities of OS X regardless of number of people. I guess at some point, someone will find some loophole. Let's face it, Windows has a 68,751 virus headstart on us, let alone the amount of spyware, so I'd like to think I've got quite a while to enjoy my Mac and encourage others to try the experience too
Applespider is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Nermal

Plus the underlying OS is more secure than Windows, so it's more difficult to create spyware etc. If a Web page asks you to enter your administrator password, then that's a sure sign that it's up to no good!
Nermal is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:18 PM   #11
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCentourage
We WILL have viruses, someday, no matter what. There's no hiding forever. And this advantage is too big to hide even if we wanted to!

The reason Apple might not want to tout it isn't that it will tempt hackers, I don't think, but rather that WHEN (not IF) there IS a virus for Mac, it will come back in Apple's face.

Yet we'll never have the massive problems what Windows users face. Take comfort!
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:31 PM   #12
dejo

I've said this before in other places but don't you think there are enough Apple-haters out there that someone would've tried by now to write the killer Mac virus that would make them famous and make all the Apple zealots eat crow? I don't buy the argument that it's because of Apple's low market share. There's gotta be some hackers out there who have been just dying to disprove this claim.
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:35 PM   #13
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

Yes spy ware is a pain, but ihave these people not heard of Ad Aware?!?
combatcolin is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:39 PM   #14
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
I've said this before in other places but don't you think there are enough Apple-haters out there that someone would've tried by now to write the killer Mac virus that would make them famous and make all the Apple zealots eat crow? I don't buy the argument that it's because of Apple's low market share. There's gotta be some hackers out there who have been just dying to disprove this claim.
Those hackers are probably trying to figure out how to bypass the extensive protections UNIX provides to Mac OS X to make their viruses effective, and failing miserably. Eventually, someone will break through - but Apple's prompt patches combined with their default Software Update auto-update policy will limit the effectiveness of any attack. So the hackers are stuck no matter what they try
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:41 PM   #15
vollspacken
macrumors 65816

the day we'll hit 7.5% user installed base we'll see the first OsX virus...

vSpacken
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:45 PM   #16
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollspacken

vSpacken
According to some estimates of Apple's installed base, we're already above that mark. The highest estimates put Apple's installed base at 12% in the USA and 9% worldwide - pretty significant if you ask me.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:47 PM   #17
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollspacken

vSpacken
So there's already a virus out there that will be triggered by the user installed base?
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:48 PM   #18
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
...but Apple's prompt patches combined with their default Software Update auto-update policy will limit the effectiveness of any attack.
Too bad Microsoft only likes to put out their patches once a month...
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:57 PM   #19
3Memos
Banned

Its also posted as a story on Slashdot.org. Seems with the case of adware and spyware and viruses on the PC platform, and Apple's play for the low-end PC business, looks like Apple is positioning themselves to being relevant again.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:26 PM   #20
Bunzi2k4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Bunzi2k4
well the reason why we don't have many viruses is because we don't have a big market. yet. When apple computers become popular, then we'll start seeing viruses. The average computer user still think Macintosh is some over priced, second-rate machine. As soon as the average user thinks apple is Good, then we'll start seeing some viruses.

why make viruses for the minority when you can screw around with 90% of all computer users?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:30 PM   #21
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunzi2k4
well the reason why we don't have many viruses is because we don't have a big market. yet. When apple computers become popular, then we'll start seeing viruses. The average computer user still think Macintosh is some over priced, second-rate machine. As soon as the average user thinks apple is Good, then we'll start seeing some viruses.

why make viruses for the minority when you can screw around with 90% of all computer users?
And it's the AVERAGE computer user that is writing viruses? Puh-lease.

By your reasoning, nobody should be developing any software for the Mac platform either. But they do...
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:34 PM   #22
Bunzi2k4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
And it's the AVERAGE computer user that is writing viruses? Puh-lease.

By your reasoning, nobody should be developing any software for the Mac platform either. But they do...

People develope software because there's money involved.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:44 PM   #23
dejo

Quote:
People develope software because there's money involved.
Tell that to many of the open source developers.
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:31 PM   #24
Bunzi2k4
macrumors 6502

Lol I have a feeling that you'll always find a fault in the way I think.

whatever. I don't see why people would make viruses for macs when we're the minority. developers make software so they can make a living. The open source people make software because they want to.

If you're gonna make something harmful, you want it to affect the maximum ammont of people possible.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:22 AM   #25
dejo

Quote:
Lol I have a feeling that you'll always find a fault in the way I think.

whatever. I don't see why people would make viruses for macs when we're the minority. developers make software so they can make a living. The open source people make software because they want to.

If you're gonna make something harmful, you want it to affect the maximum ammont of people possible.
I agree with you on a couple of your points. Paid developers make software so they can make a living. Open source developers make software because they want to. But I don't agree with you on the mentality of virus writers. There are some who do it for recognition within their community. Imagine how much recognition they would get if they wrote a virus that infected the supposedly hack-proof Mac OS X.
dejo is online now   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion