Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Business Insider, Apple has updated its iAd page for advertisers, posting a new highlight reel showing off some of companies and ads that have been featured in the program since its July launch.

The updated page also offers a quick glance at some of the individual brands participating in iAds, including AT&T, Audible.com, Campbell's, Dove, JCPenney, and Nissan, as well as highlighting ngmoco's We Rule as an example from the iAds for Developers program.

Apple is aggressively expanding its iAd program beyond the initial launch markets, beginning to offer worldwide viewing of the ads earlier this month and quickly following that up with announcements that it will be bringing the program to advertisers in Europe beginning next month and Japan as of early next year.

Article Link: Apple Updates iAd Site With Video Highlight Reel

JonKean

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
This is great news.

Personally, I really like the iAds that I've seen. Anytime I see a new one appear in an app, I usually view it. Even if the product has only marginal relevance to me, as the ads are very slick with a high degree of interactivity and engagement.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't know why you guys are voting negative, iAds is a great way for developers to offer fully functional free apps (and hence, a great way for users to get better, cheaper apps), an alternative business model that can work better than trying to make a living of 99 cent apps. If devs can't make money, guess what, they will stop developing. iAds are relatively unobtrusive, you don't have to click on them, and most developers will offer an upgrade path to a paid version that removes the ads.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hmm, so that's what they did instead.

One of the iAds in that video is from my company. I took a bunch of photos that were going to be used in the iAd and then they changed direction and it's different now.

I hadn't seen the new version until now.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. :p

JerzeyLegend

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I don't mind, the ads are unobtrusive. Perhaps not for your minuscule iPhone screens but doesn't bother me on my iPad.

AdMob is the one that shows up in most free apps, and advertisements for developers is a great way for apps that are undiscovered to become Top 50 apps.

Put yourselves in the shoes of the corporations. What better audience than mobile devices? Just think outside the box once in a while.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
This is great news.

Personally, I really like the iAds that I've seen. Anytime I see a new one appear in an app, I usually view it. Even if the product has only marginal relevance to me, as the ads are very slick with a high degree of interactivity and engagement.

No offense but I find that pretty strage.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Normally I like everything apple makes no matter how much it sucks but this...

but i just thought was the stupidest thing ever. why would apple be advertising advertising?!

aren't adds everything that we are trying to avoid at all costs?

.... I know, I know I am an idiot.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Wow, this is truly a day I'll never forget. The iAds are magical.

WTF? I work in the ad industry and can't imagine anyone thinking this is newsworthy.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hmm, so that's what they did instead.

One of the iAds in that video is from my company. I took a bunch of photos that were going to be used in the iAd and then they changed direction and it's different now.

I hadn't seen the new version until now.

Not that I'm bitter or anything. :p

Which photos are yours?

**edit** Sorry, misunderstood.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Normally I like everything apple makes no matter how much it sucks but this...

but i just thought was the stupidest thing ever. why would apple be advertising advertising?!

aren't ads everything that we are trying to avoid at all costs?

At all costs? But you CAN avoid ads, and here's the cost: only download paid apps! Pretty simple.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
It's. Still. An. Ad.

I don't understand this negative knee-jerk reaction to iAds. I don't like ads either. But I understand that it allows developers to make apps that are profitable or at least aren't a drain on their wallets!

TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, and movies all have ads. Even the performing arts put in little ads in their programs. Only on the internet have we been spoiled into getting everything for free.

If a dev puts hours into writing/supporting a quality app, he/she has the right to charge or support it with ads. If iAds helps them stay afloat, then that's fine with me. Most apps give the choice between paid ad-free versions or free ad-supported versions anyway.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
...and Apple Consumer Electronics does not use the medium to do its own advertising. I wonder why? Perhaps they know that its not effective vs. the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.