Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
I have had a few ipods/iphones before, but I just got my iPhone 4 just a few days ago. I did put screen protectors in some of my ipods, only to peel it off again after a few months because they got bubbles and dirt inside.

I'm wondering if it's really worth trying one more time with the invisibleSHIELD by zaag (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php). The promo and video looks ok, and the price is almost twice the usual protectors that I bought.

My concern is whether this will make my retina display a bit dark/blurry, as that's what I experienced with my ipod touches. Should I try it? Seems a bit steep for $25, and I don't want any cases either...

P.S. Some people also said this has got the orange peel effect, is it true? I don't really like it...

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
the zagg if u planing on puttin the iphoen in yoru pockets, your gonna have problems

people don tliek the feel of them but i dont mind it

if my griffin case hadn't runied the front zagg protector i still be using it

it doesnt get as greasy as the sgp crystal or powersupport crystal so the zagg is good on that

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
the zagg if u planing on puttin the iphoen in yoru pockets, your gonna have problems

people don tliek the feel of them but i dont mind it

if my griffin case hadn't runied the front zagg protector i still be using it

it doesnt get as greasy as the sgp crystal or powersupport crystal so the zagg is good on that

spellcheck is your friend, my friend. :D

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
I feel like buying right not but is the AUD$45 really worth it? Looks a bit expensive for a screen protector...

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I have had a Invisible Shield on every iPod and iPhone I have ever owned. It is certainly the best way, I used them before it was even Zagg. Also I have it on my iPad.

It is true that if you put it in your pocket right after you put the shield on then it will peel. What I do is just not put it in my pocket and use it really lightly for about a day to let the thing settle, and then it doesn't peel.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
i was typing real fast from my phone it happens

as long as you can make out what im saying lol

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
That price is insane. They're only $25 USD, and the exchange rate is just about even...

Wow ebay even got that for $25, those people at zagg needs to update their price really.

does this take away anything from your display? I really don't want the screen to be hard to swipe because I do play games quite a lot from my iphone.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I've been using the zagg full protection dry install with an apple bumper since july and have had absolutely no problems. Keep the phone in my pocket most of the time.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I definitely don't like invisible shield anymore. Used it temporarily until the Powersupport HD anti glare for the 4 came out. I will
Never go back to zagg, I'd rather go naked instead.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Love the invisishield for the back glass, don't really like it on the front glass personally because of the gripiness.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Love the invisishield for the back glass, don't really like it on the front glass personally because of the gripiness.

So is it really grippy? I do play quite a lot of games so that can be a problem. But people says it won't be so grippy anymore after about a week. Is that so?

JayXL14

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
What is a good case for the iPhone 4 that fits with full body InvisibleShield?

Do the Switcheasy Vulcan or Trim fit?

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
So is it really grippy? I do play quite a lot of games so that can be a problem. But people says it won't be so grippy anymore after about a week. Is that so?

Yeah its pretty grippy, for me I felt like I was unable to slide my finger easily. For the front screen for your phone I would go with a SGP Oleophobic Screen protector, for the back I'd do zagg just because they have a lifetime warranty and good scratch protection IMO.

What is a good case for the iPhone 4 that fits with full body InvisibleShield?

Do the Switcheasy Vulcan or Trim fit?

Practically anything that isn't a case like a feather, barely there case.. Most of the cases if not all that use silicone/certain TPU will fit with a body shield and/or screen protectors, just keep it to a minimum.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
I've just bought it from ebay.. I thought $25 won't hurt that much, if I don't like it I'll peel them off and not buy any thing else anymore. I've had enough screen protectors for my old ipods and iphones, so I don't have high expectation on this anyway.

At any case one of the reasons why I'm not that hyped up about cases is really because they do take away quality from your phone build and display... I guess accident happens and if you're accident prone it's a good idea to have one very tough case on (the one that can protect your iphone from drops).

CrzyIcE

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
I am using the ZAGG maximum protection and I agree that there is a grip but it isnt very bad.
I can still slide my fingers through the screen easily.

The only problem I have with it is there are still small gaps on the screen not protected because the one they supplied me didnt stretch all the way across the screen.

You can also use a coupon to decrease the $25 price for zagg.com.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
I am using the ZAGG maximum protection and I agree that there is a grip but it isnt very bad.
I can still slide my fingers through the screen easily.

The only problem I have with it is there are still small gaps on the screen not protected because the one they supplied me didnt stretch all the way across the screen.

You can also use a coupon to decrease the $25 price for zagg.com.

What coupon are you talking about?

Mine should arrive sometime this week... I still do prefer bare iphone though, it feels very sleek and high quality!

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
My concern is whether this will make my retina display a bit dark/blurry

Not a bit, IME.

P.S. Some people also said this has got the orange peel effect, is it true? I don't really like it...

This is true -- the orange peel effect -- but only visible at certain angles. Not at all from straight on. My suspicion is that it contributes to the hiding of fingerprints that show up on other screen protectors. But that's speculation; it may be just in the material.

The rubbery/friction on the front takes some getting used to. As I referred to in another thread, I'm wrestling with this issue at the moment. Someone in this thread said it goes away (or subsides) after a bit of use -- I hope so.

If not, I may ditch the front protection and go back to bare glass, or consider the Otterbox Defender with its built in protector (which is not Zagg compatible from my readings.)

I did have a Zagg Kiosk install my protectors -- so they did a spot on job. When I tried on my own (with some el cheapo brands), my exceptional patience didn't prevent tiny dust particles from getting underneath. And I'm a perfectionist -- so this wasn't acceptable. Wasted quite a few bucks. So I had my Zagg shields professionally installed by a Zagg Kiosk guy (not a Big Box reseller like Best Buy, etc.)

I do know there was no substitute for the feel of swiping across the naked glass -- "felt like butter"... :p

Dilemmas.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Not a bit, IME.

This is true -- the orange peel effect -- but only visible at certain angles. Not at all from straight on. My suspicion is that it contributes to the hiding of fingerprints that show up on other screen protectors. But that's speculation; it may be just in the material.

The rubbery/friction on the front takes some getting used to. As I referred to in another thread, I'm wrestling with this issue at the moment. Someone in this thread said it goes away (or subsides) after a bit of use -- I hope so.

If not, I may ditch the front protection and go back to bare glass, or consider the Otterbox Defender with its built in protector (which is not Zagg compatible from my readings.)

I did have a Zagg Kiosk install my protectors -- so they did a spot on job. When I tried on my own (with some el cheapo brands), my exceptional patience didn't prevent tiny dust particles from getting underneath. And I'm a perfectionist -- so this wasn't acceptable. Wasted quite a few bucks. So I had my Zagg shields professionally installed by a Zagg Kiosk guy (not a Big Box reseller like Best Buy, etc.)

I do know there was no substitute for the feel of swiping across the naked glass -- "felt like butter"... :p

Dilemmas.

Ah, I don't think I have any Zagg kiosk nearby me. I'm a perfectionist to, so if this does not work out, I'd just go naked once again... You see, I paid a lot of money for this thing, I want to get the best out of it.

We'll see in a few days when it comes. Thanks for your input!

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Ah, I don't think I have any Zagg kiosk nearby me. I'm a perfectionist to, so if this does not work out, I'd just go naked once again... You see, I paid a lot of money for this thing, I want to get the best out of it.

We'll see in a few days when it comes. Thanks for your input!

Best buy will do it, I'm a perfectionist as well. I had best buy do it and it came out perfect.

Cakester

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2009
Columbus
I like the Zagg Invis. Shield, but feel that it makes the screen somewhat rubbery. It may protect the screen from impact better than other "clearer" shields. I had one on my 3GS.

I currently rock the SGP Ultra Crystal and love it too. Provides a similar touch.... to the natural screen. And protects from scratches

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Best buy will do it, I'm a perfectionist as well. I had best buy do it and it came out perfect.

Sounds great, but I live in Australia. No best buys or at&t in here =(

I'm even buying one off ebay. If you read earlier posts, the price difference is massive... Noting that AUD is almost equals to USD these days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.