Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 15, 2005, 06:31 AM   #1
northen
macrumors member

PowerMac G5 drive install without screws?

Is there any way to install a S-ATA drive in a PowerMac G5 computer without using screws? There are none in the bay, and I can't find them on Apple's site (they are probably real expensive anyway)

So, is it possible?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:26 AM   #2
robbieduncan

I thought that it used drive rails. There should be a spare set cunningly hidden in the spare drive bay...
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

I just checked, the 4 spare screws are next to the fan behind the optical drive (so on the left when you look straight at the harddrivebays...)

if you don't have them hmmz was your mac build on a mondaymorning or fridayevening?? because normally the come with them

if you go to a toolshop they probably can give you 4 screws for it (just take one from the original drive to find the right ones)

probably you can just put it in there without screws, the latch will hold it on its place I guess but it will be sitting on the plastic, so see if your drive don't get too hot

its not portable so there should be no problem puting it loose in there, with screws its more secure off course...

J

Last edited by Jo-Kun; Jan 15, 2005 at 07:38 AM.
Jo-Kun is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:53 AM   #4
northen
macrumors member

Yeah, found them. All the stores are closed now, but i'll be able to buy one on monday and then install it Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2005, 07:57 AM   #5
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northen
Yeah, found them. All the stores are closed now, but i'll be able to buy one on monday and then install it Thanks
All the stores are closed on a Saturday? It's been ages since I was in Denmark, but is this normal?
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 08:04 AM   #6
northen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
All the stores are closed on a Saturday? It's been ages since I was in Denmark, but is this normal?
Most smaller data/hw stores close at 13 (on saturdays mind you). Larger stores at 16, but larger stores typically sell only PATA drives :/ I could buy a splitter cable, so I get a PATA drive, but... meh :P
Old Jan 15, 2005, 08:08 AM   #7
jsw
Moderator emeritus

I'm glad you found the sliders. Installing the 2nd drive on a PowerMac G5 is the easiest part install I've ever done on a computer, ever. As easy or easier than any RAM installation I've done, and much less potential for problems. Apple did an fantastic engineering job on the case.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:33 AM   #8
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northen
Is there any way to install a S-ATA drive in a PowerMac G5 computer without using screws? There are none in the bay, and I can't find them on Apple's site (they are probably real expensive anyway)

So, is it possible?
Yes, I believe you don't need screws to install the SATA HD. Just slide it in, and turn down a lever to hold it in place. You would need to install the rubber feet on the side of the harddrive so you can slide it in. It also acts as a rubber mount to isolate noise and vibration.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:58 AM   #9
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
Yes, I believe you don't need screws to install the SATA HD. Just slide it in, and turn down a lever to hold it in place. You would need to install the rubber feet on the side of the harddrive so you can slide it in. It also acts as a rubber mount to isolate noise and vibration.
Exactly. No tools required. Two minutes.

Edit: useful link here.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers