Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erinh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
A couple months back, I purchased my mom an ihome ip9 docking station to use with her iphone 4. It's worked well, but recently she's purchased an otterbox defender case which ultimately has ruled the ihome dock useless as the phone will not fit in the ihome dock with the case on the phone... and she's not all for removing the case every time she wants to use her ihome.

So, my question here is:
Is there a dock extender that I can use to connect to the iphone 4 allowing me to put the iphone in the dock with the otterbox case on?
The alternative is to buy an extended cable.
I'd be quick to purchase something like this but my issue here is compatibility. I've seen some people say that, while the extension cables will pass audio, they lose the ability to charge and control the iphone/ipod directly from the ihome unit.

I'm hoping that someone here has been through a similar situation and can offer me advice. Until we find a better solution, she'll continue to run a charging cable out of the wall adapter and a 3.5mm cable into the ihome's aux input. This is far less than a desired method but it's the only alternative we have until I can find something to fit the bill.

Thanks,
Erin

leroybrown

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
dock extender

hi erinh,
I was in a similar situation after getting otterbox covers for my iphone and i touch but i bought two "sendstation dock extenders" off ebay which i think were about $30 from memory.
saying that, the only problem i had was I had to modify otterbox innershells which is not a huge problem and after doing this mod they work and plug in and work well
hope this helps

erinh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
thanks for the feedback.
care to explain what/how you modified the inner shell? I'm not familiar with the otterbox, personally. My mom would have a fit if I messed with it, so I'd have to modify it on the sly. ;)

chris007

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
San Diego
I came across this extender "slim." The site says it works with otterbox cases, and I think the "slim" feature deals with the problem caused by the otterbox's inner lining. Looks pretty similar to the one above too. Hope this helps!

erinh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
After having a look on the net today, maybe one of these might be all you need and no modifications on the sly;)

http://www.gadgetboost.com/products/DockExtender-Boost-iPhone-iPod-iPad-Dock-Extender.html
hope this helps

I came across this extender "slim." The site says it works with otterbox cases, and I think the "slim" feature deals with the problem caused by the otterbox's inner lining. Looks pretty similar to the one above too. Hope this helps!

Just wanted to update this thread...
Looks like the two above are the same product. I ordered the gadget boost extender and got it in a couple days ago. Gave it to my mom and she just called to let me know that it works perfect and that she was able to control the ipod through the ihome dock with this, too (which is a tough to find feature). So, thanks for the tip! :)

skystone

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Just wanted to update this thread...
Looks like the two above are the same product. I ordered the gadget boost extender and got it in a couple days ago. Gave it to my mom and she just called to let me know that it works perfect and that she was able to control the ipod through the ihome dock with this, too (which is a tough to find feature). So, thanks for the tip! :)

Thanks, Erin, for taking the time to write an update. This is very helpful as I'm experiencing a similar situation.

:confused: Does the dock extender cause instability when the iphone is in place in the ihome dock? I.e., do you need a back support to keep the iphone up-right enough to avoid damaging the pins? Or is the dock extender "strong" enough on its own?

Thank you.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
^^^^^^I got one of these dock extenders on eBay and I use it with the standard white apple dock. The iPhone doesn't need support and is not unstable. I'm always worried about damaging the phone though, so what I do is lean the back of the phone against my monitor's frame to give it the extra support even if it doesn't need it. Cheers

Ponderous

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
New Jersey
I'm currently shopping for a music dock for my iPhone 4 with the otterbox defender. So if I get the extender, I can use any of the top music machines? Next question is what's the best one to get. You gotta love the internet.

polzii

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I'm currently shopping for a music dock for my iPhone 4 with the otterbox defender. So if I get the extender, I can use any of the top music machines? Next question is what's the best one to get. You gotta love the internet.

From what I can see from the pics of the otterbox defender, it should work. Can you measure the length and width of the dock connector port ? All the dock extenders Ive seen on websites and ebay look pretty similar. I got mine off of ebay for $14 shipped. It is 27mm wide (at its widest part), 23mm long and 5mm thick. Maybe you can compare it to the port for your defender and dock. cheers.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I need to get one of these but I am worried about breaking the damn connector on the 2G dock. Couldnt they have made a bit of a support / weight carrying structure in addition to the connector?

People to do share your experiences using this over time..?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So I like others am looking for some kind of dock extender to use with my AVR music dock for iPod playback whilst my Bumper is on.

As of now what is the most affordable solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.