Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbmobile

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Italy
Hi everybody,

One simple question, do exist the possibility to connect 2 DVI Monitors, both HD, to a MacBook Pro 15" in order to "extend" the screen? No need to keep the MacBook pro LCD on.

What is needed to succeed?

Thanks.

MB

mbmobile

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Italy

Thanks for the fast answer, unfortunately having a second "graphic adapter" is a way I do not want to pursue, also because:

"Note: This release does not support OpenGL acceleration (3D hardware acceleration) so therefore applications and features that require OpenGL, Quartz Extreme, Quartz Composer and other framework based on OpenGL will not be fully supported. Examples of such features are Keynote Presentations, iPhoto Slideshows and iMovie."

Does it means that the mini displayport does not permit to run two different monitors?

Thanks.

MB

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks for the fast answer, unfortunately having a second "graphic adapter" is a way I do not want to pursue, also because:

"Note: This release does not support OpenGL acceleration (3D hardware acceleration) so therefore applications and features that require OpenGL, Quartz Extreme, Quartz Composer and other framework based on OpenGL will not be fully supported. Examples of such features are Keynote Presentations, iPhoto Slideshows and iMovie."

Does it means that the mini displayport does not permit to run two different monitors?

Thanks.

MB

mDP supports daisy-chaning but I haven't seen a monitor that does. Maybe something like this is what you need

mbmobile

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Italy
mDP supports daisy-chaning but I haven't seen a monitor that does. Maybe something like this is what you need

Ok, I was aware of the DualHead2Go, I was just wondering if there was any specific adapter to connect two monitors on the MBP.

At this point I assume No as an answer. It's a pity Apple doesn't provide such option. Thanks all for the very fast answers.

MB

Mac-Durbs

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition

I just bought this solution which is said to work well for up to 3 screens on a Mac Book Pro. I also bought the new LG E2260V-PN 21.5" wide TFT Screen
which each have 3 inputs, DVI, VGA and what I want HDMI, this with my Matrox box should allow me to have up to three screens for my Mac via HDMI and still use my Switch and other monitor ports for my Dual Screen PC setup.

Its not a cheap solution but hopefully solve the issue.

Durbs

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
The problem with Matrox that you should be aware of is that the MBP only sees it as a single wide screen monitor. So alerts always show up in the middle, and your status bar stretches across all the monitors. At least with a USB adapter your computer recognizes each separate monitor.

Aerials

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Mac-Durbs - LG E2260V-PN..?

Sorry to go off-topic slightly here, but I have been searching for information about the LG E2260V-PN 22" TFT monitor for a while and found very little...

Mac-durbs, how do you find the monitor? I am looking to connect it to my black macbook and finally starting editng on fcp properly. Also, do you have any advice on the best way to connect them, etc?

I too will want to eventually have two external monitors and that is how I quite poorly link my question back to the topic!

Any advice much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.