Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I was playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater today, and when I turned off the sound to talk to someone, I noticed that my iBook's fan was making a sound sort of like a race car off the line - the fan was revving up and then cutting out, and revving up again, then cutting out, repeatedly. It only managed to get going at the longest for about 3 seconds. Is my fan dying? I'm worried that my computer will overheat without it, and the revving sound is *really* annoying. What do I do if it is dying - replace it myself or take it in (I'm out of warranty, and I've heard that iBooks are not that easy to take apart)? Any ideas at how much it would cost to fix? Arg! I'm quite at a loss here. :confused:

Thanks!

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Well, your right they are a bit** to open up, I've tried it before. I wouldn't say your fan is dying but more that it may have a malfunction with its sensor. Being that your iBook is out of warranty causes some concern. If I remember you can still bring it to a Genius and have hem look at it. I'm not an expert with the 'books so I can't help you a whole lot but it sounds like a sensor or it may be shorting out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.