Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I bought a first gen Apple TV because my HDTV doesn't have HDMI and my other TV just died and it has an HDMI port and right now I am moving the Apple TV from room to room depending on where I want to watch. I have a MacBook Pro so it is not always on and able to stream video so that is why i wanted a Apple TV with a hard drive. I was wondering if I could stream videos that I have on my first gen Apple TV to a second gen if I got one because that would be the only way I would get a second gen.

Thanks!

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I bought a first gen Apple TV because my HDTV doesn't have HDMI and my other TV just died and it has an HDMI port and right now I am moving the Apple TV from room to room depending on where I want to watch. I have a MacBook Pro so it is not always on and able to stream video so that is why i wanted a Apple TV with a hard drive. I was wondering if I could stream videos that I have on my first gen Apple TV to a second gen if I got one because that would be the only way I would get a second gen.

Thanks!

No. The 1st generation does not have Home Sharing capability, and won't serve up it's content to any other device. It is a client only, no server functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.