Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
So I recently received a quicksilver 733 for free. Since im starting college in a month I figured I would try and upgrade it to get me through the next two years. I will mainly be using it for word processing, internet surfing, and watching various media. Its current configuration is okay but im looking to max out its performance.

What I already have for it.
3x 512mb pc133 chips
DVD-RW drive

What im looking to get
a hard drive or two (I have a SCSI card that came in a B&W that I had a few years ago and was considering adding SCSI drives to bypass the 128gb limit)
Dual CPU upgrade if I can find one for under $200 (yeah right huh? XD)

Radeon 9800pro

Now I have found a radeon 9800 all in wonder pro 128mb on the local craigslist for a PC. I have done some reading about flashing and taping pins to force the later cards to run in 2x mode for the sawtooth users. Is this card the same as a normal 9800 with the added video capture? If able to flash will the video capture work with my QS and osx 10.4? I have not been able to find any information on flashing this card or if its possible. any help would be appreciated!

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
...and was considering adding SCSI drives to bypass the 128gb limit)

I think you'd be better off getting a Firmtek SATA card.

No problem. You should easily be able to find an entire working dual 1GHz Quicksilver under $200 on Craig's List or eBay. This will give you plenty of spare parts too.

Now I have found a radeon 9800 all in wonder pro 128mb on the local craigslist for a PC.

I don't think that can be used on a Mac. Look for the more standard R9800 with the diamond shaped heatsink. Take a look through The Mac Elite's ATI Buying Guide.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
mucho thanks snake. that ati buyers guide should be pinned!

Wouldnt a SATA card be bottle necked by the speed of the pci slots?

occams razor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
Okay so I'm confused on flashing here. I dont have access to a pc for flashing. Can I use my QS to flash a card over? I have a pci video card I can drop in so I dont have to do a blind flash

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Wouldnt a SATA card be bottle necked by the speed of the pci slots?

No more so than a SCSI card. It will still give better performance than the motherboard ATA controller, but my answer was based more on your desire to bypass the 128 limit. If you're looking for cost-effective storage, SATA is the way to go. Also, any new drives should still be useful beyond the two years that you would like to keep this Quicksilver going. SATA drives can later be moved to any new tower without adapters or controller cards. There are also more options for putting them in external cases if you should choose a Macbook, iMac, or Mini as your next computer.

If you end up getting a dual 1GHz as a parts machine, the motherboard from that tower would also solve your 128 problem.

Yes. Radeon cards can be flashed in Macs.

Yup. And having a pci video card available for use makes that pretty easy. There are also some folks on eBay who sell cards that have already been flashed. It's not difficult for find one under $80. If you buy a PC version intending to flash it, try to test it in a PC before doing so. If there is a problem with the card, the vendor may not want to take it back after it has been flashed.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

Radeon 9800pro

Consider these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONNET-ENCORE-S...ade-/120650391336?pt=CPUs&hash=item1c1752df28

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIGA-DESIGNS-G-...CPU-/400166726785?pt=CPUs&hash=item5d2bcbac81

If you want to flash a card by yourself, consider 9700 (especially from Hercules, if you'll be able to find one) instead of 9800. 9700 runs cooler, draws less power and is near to 9800 performance-wise. Hercules cards have 128 KB EEPROM - they're taking full Mac ROM.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
I'm contantly trolling craigslist for a quicksilver with a bad logic board. But I have not seen a power mac die. That seems to be notebooks and iMacs that die lol. Right now as is it's holding it's own. I can even watch southparkstuidos.net as long as nothing else is open lol

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Right now as is it's holding it's own. I can even watch southparkstuidos.net as long as nothing else is open lol

If you're enjoying this computer now, you're absolutely going to love it with a CPU upgrade. The 733 is a dog. Even the single 933 with its 2MB of level 3 cache would be a significant upgrade. I hope you can find what you're looking for on Craig's List. The suggestions above by 666sheep and Hrududu are also well worth considering.

I'm contantly trolling craigslist for a quicksilver with a bad logic board.

Heh. Word of warning: I've purchased three "parts machines" from Craig's List this year, each sold as a Mac G4 with a bad motherboard. All three were fine. One needed a PRAM battery, one booted perfectly after reseating the CPU daughtercard, and the other simply had drives that were jumpered incorrectly. At less than $20 each, it was a great deal. Three more perfectly good Macs! But then....you still need parts machines....and so on. Be careful! It gets out of hand quickly. :)

occams razor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
Oh trust me i know it gets out of hand. At one time I have a B&W, imac snow, Emac, and ibook g3 and used them all. Woman made me get rid of them though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.