Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VectorFlower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Help!

Just installed Windows XP using bootcamp and usually no problems switching between operation systems.

Recently started using an USB modem for my wireless internet connection. Internet works on both Mac and windows through the modem. Now the problem is whenever I restart or switch on my computer, it shows a black screen if I choose windows partition to boot. No problem if I start through mac partition.

If I unplug the USB modem, everything goes fine and I have to plug the modem after starting windows. Is there any solution so that I can permanently plugin the USB modem and avoid booting problem?

VectorFlower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks stridemat!

In the mac I set Bootcamp as startup partition and in windows, did the same for bootcamp settings.

The only improvement is now windows able to boot on restarting the system. But if I shutdown and switch on, the same problem occurs.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im not in front of my Mac right now, however is there no way to order the start-up disk priority?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Seems you might need to also set the startup disk order in the Windows OS or whatever it thinks the BIOS is in its own partition.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Sorry, no idea. I stopped running Windows in its own partition a long time ago, so I don't know how it handles boot ordering nowadays.

I just use virtual machines via VMWare - much easier as long as it's not for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.