Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bandit27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Greetings, All,

OK, here is the problem:
My mac just refused to boot up today. It hangs on the startup screen.
I can, however boot into my windows partition, using XP.
I need to get my Mac back, but before I start monkeying around, I want to back up my OSX partition from XP, the only system I can boot into right now. I am away in a very remote place right now, and have limited (think dialup speeds, but sometimes slower) internet, and no access to my original Mac install CD for booting to Disk Utility. I've tried resetting PRam, booting with shift down etc., but no joy. Can anyone suggest how to backup the Mac partition and or create a bootable CD for disk utility? I tried "EASEUS Todo Copy" so far, but it would not do the job. That is all I've tried so far.
The details - MacBook Pro 15" bought in Late April (i5 processor) running the absolute latest version of Snow Leopard on a 500 GB HD. I have a couple of thumb drives, access to blank CDs, but not DVDs. One blank 750 external HD USB2. Almost no software installed on the XP side. Getting the original OS X disks sent to me would take about 3-4 weeks (to run Disk Utility), and I'm hoping to find a solution before then. (and hoping it isn't a hard drive failure, but XP works fine).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Cheers,

Tyler

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've tried resetting PRam, booting with shift down etc., but no joy.

First things first.

It's Alt/Option to bring up the boot selector. Have you tried that?
Do you have access to a wired mouse or Apple remote? (Both of those can also be used to bring up the boot selector).
What shows up in Control Panel->Boot Camp->Startup Disk. Can you select your Mac OS X partition there?

B

Bandit27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I can select the Mac Boot partition fine (it boots to that default as it should), but the startup hangs after putting up the apple logo and I get to watch the spinning pinwheel of death until I force the machine off. the only way I can get any system up is to boot to XP.

Cheers,

Tyler

Thessman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2005
GR
Did you try booting in single user mode ( reboot and hold down command - S ) and repairing your disk using fsck? That should do the trick, if not then you will need the disks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Did you try booting in single user mode ( reboot and hold down command - S ) and repairing your disk using fsck? That should do the trick, if not then you will need the disks.

Command V to enable verbose mode might also be helpful as it might help you figure out exactly where it is hanging.

B

Bandit27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
OK,
Did the command-s thing and ran "/sbin/fsck -fy"
did it 2 more times until it told me everything was A-OK. Rebooted, same problem.

I'm not sure what verbose mode is but willing to try.

Tyler

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm not sure what verbose mode is but willing to try.
It'll show you detail about what is going on during the boot process. Whatever is going on right before the hang is what you want to focus on fixing somehow.

It's actually good news that it booted in single user mode. You have more options now.

B

Bandit27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
if only I could cut&paste....

OK,

Here is what verbose mode gives me. can anyone see the error here?
I'll skip some of the stuff for ease of typing...

First, it does a lot of stuff that looks ok, then:
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformexpert/PCI0@0/.....
and the next line is:
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
jnl : unknown-dev:replay_journal: from: 33481600 to: 6050304 (joffset 0x15502000)
then some USBMSC Identifier stuff, then:
jnl: unknown-dev: journal replay done.
com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchd 1 ***launchd[1] has started up.***
com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchd 1 ***verbose boot, will log to /dev/console.***
Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):17: ioct(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1
Running fsck on the boot volume...
Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491.3~2).
fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.
fsck_hfs: Use the -f option to force checking.
launchctl: Please convert the following to launched: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plst
BCM5701Enet: Ethernet address ...........
AirPort_brcm43224: Ethernet address .............
IO80211Controller::dataLinkLayerAttachComplete(): adding AppleEFINVRAM notification
IO80211Interface::efiNVRAMPublished():
systemShutdown false
NVDANV5HAL loaded and registered.
AGC: 2.8.68, HW version=1.9.21, flags:0, features:20600
Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
DSMOS has arrived
AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 1 (unspecified).
AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 setFixedSpeed - logic error, speed any?
en1: 802.11d country code set to 'us'.
en1: Supported channels 1 2 3 4 5 6 ....................
Auth result for: 00:1d:.............. No Ack
Auth result for: 00:1d:.............. No Ack

Then all ends right there. note, where there are a buch of periods, it is listing the ethernet or airport addresses, or the supported channels (long list)

Soooo...
Cany anyone make more sense out of this that I can? Do I need to list all the stuf that came first as well? I'm hoping this means something to someone.

Cheers all, and thanks for the help so far.

Tyler

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If I were you, I'd just backup all the data files to you large external drive. That's the most important thing. Since your Windows OS works, you should be able to do most everything you could do in Mac OS. Wait till you get home to do the fixing. The last thing you'd wanna do is lose both OS's and your data. Do not update any software or run windows update. Only run antivirus definition updates if you absolutely have to.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If I were you, I'd just backup all the data files to you large external drive.

I'm with vistadude on the importance of backup, now and always.

However it sounds like you will be in this remote location for a while.

Can you run CCC or SuperDuper to clone your existing OS X install to the 750 GB drive from single user mode?

Interestingly, for my 2008 MB, the next thing in the boot process is that it mounts the BOOTCAMP partition. I have the same
Code:
Please convert the following to launched: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plst
warning so ignore that. The "No ack" is odd. Is wireless on, but you have no wireless network?

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.