Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 15, 2005, 08:40 PM   #1
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Cable box Firewire

I saw on newer cable boxes that they have firewire. What can you do with this? Can you hook it up and record on your computer through the box? Can you add firewire HDD for extra DVR space?
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 09:12 PM   #2
jaykk
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jaykk Send a message via MSN to jaykk Send a message via Yahoo to jaykk
Yes, you can record shows of cable box

Yes, check out this link on Macosxhints. I tested this with my comcast HDTV cable box, and it works on my powerbook. I ordered Mac Mini just for this purpose, it will sit there and record the shows. Mac Mini will become the perfect DVR. there are some apple scripts floating around the web which uses iCal to schedule recording.
jaykk is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3
OutThere
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykk
Yes, check out this link on Macosxhints. I tested this with my comcast HDTV cable box, and it works on my powerbook. I ordered Mac Mini just for this purpose, it will sit there and record the shows. Mac Mini will become the perfect DVR. there are some apple scripts floating around the web which uses iCal to schedule recording.
You could also use Linux (yea yea flame me - it hurts to see linux on the mini), which has applications built for it that will get schedules off the internet and schedule recordings - but I'm not sure how it works with firewire, as I've only seen it working with PCI capture cards.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4
cr2sh
macrumors 68030

Back in 2002 several cable companies (TW, Comcast, Cox and others) signed the MSO CE Manufacturer Agreement, part of this involves support for recordable IEEE 1394 connections on HD cable boxes.

I haven't used it but I've been told that if you call your cable company and ask, they have to send you one of these 1394 boxes.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Apple pushed out an iLife application that utiilized the 1394 HD interface and a DVI adapter, throwing in itunes and ipod connecting to our stereo through airtunes, connecting our cable tv and high-speed internet via airport... making the mac mini the corner stone of it all.

God, that'd be cool.

MBP (early' 11/2.2/16GB/500GB/hi-res-ag)
cr2sh is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2005, 01:38 AM   #5
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2sh
Wouldn't it be crazy if Apple pushed out an iLife application that utiilized the 1394 HD interface and a DVI adapter, throwing in itunes and ipod connecting to our stereo through airtunes, connecting our cable tv and high-speed
That would be the perfect Mac. Plug it in to not just your scanner and printer but also your cable box. Then your iPod plugs into it. Then play iTunes songs through your speakers and control it via your iPod. Oh, and don't forget the 100 GB 5200 rpm drive to be found in a Mac like that... 'cause thats the biggest and fastest 2.5" there is to go into the Mini.

Apple, you hearing this or do I need to drag my lazy butt to your feedback site?
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:56 PM   #6
macbaseball
macrumors 6502a

Has anyone done managed to make this work. I've worked on it for about four and a half hours and I'm about to give up. I downloaded three different iRecord, AV/C Browser, and VirtualDVHS. iRecord was the first app I tried and it worked except for the sound didn't work and the top of the picture was messed up, AV/C Browser seems to be the best so far. It seems to record it, but I can't open it with VLC or MPEGStreamClip like every site says. I can't get VirtualDVHS to do anything. Could someone please give me some tips or how they did it.

Note: I have a Motorola cable box, that is grey, with a HD Capable logo in the left corner and Doby Digital Sound in the bottom right corner. My cable provider is Comcast.
macbaseball is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:30 AM   #7
Apple
macrumors 6502

Has any1 gotten it 2 work with Adelphia?

I just want to know before I upgrade to DVR
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:10 AM   #8
RAS admin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaseball
Has anyone done managed to make this work. I've worked on it for about four and a half hours and I'm about to give up. I downloaded three different iRecord, AV/C Browser, and VirtualDVHS. iRecord was the first app I tried and it worked except for the sound didn't work and the top of the picture was messed up, AV/C Browser seems to be the best so far. It seems to record it, but I can't open it with VLC or MPEGStreamClip like every site says. I can't get VirtualDVHS to do anything. Could someone please give me some tips or how they did it.

Note: I have a Motorola cable box, that is grey, with a HD Capable logo in the left corner and Doby Digital Sound in the bottom right corner. My cable provider is Comcast.
http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net/
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:48 AM   #9
macbaseball
macrumors 6502a

Thanks your the best, ill try that out and post again if it works or not.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:18 AM   #10
macbaseball
macrumors 6502a

Well after 2 hours of frustrating work, I've given up until someone makes it easier to record firewire. I'll just still to recording on DVDs.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers