Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
ss4rob
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Does iPod touch 2G support Airplay & Airprint with 4.2.1?

I was running GM iOS 4.2 on my iPod touch 2G, and Airprint and Airplay both worked just fine. Now that iOS 4.2.1 is out, do Airprint and Airplay still work properly? I know that these features were removed from the iPhone 3G, and I am trying to determine if I should upgrade from 4.2 to 4.2.1 - advantages, disadvantages, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by ss4rob; Nov 22, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
ss4rob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
ss4rob
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I'll answer this myself. Yes.

http://www.9to5mac.com/37182/confirm...-for-iphone-3g
ss4rob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
iAppTime
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
I can't find AirPrint anywhere on my iPod Touch 2G!
iAppTime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:07 PM   #4
kuwisdelu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Airplay, yes. Airprint, no.
__________________
2.0 GHz quad-core i7 15" MacBook Pro 2011
iPad 2 (Black) WiFi+3G 64GB
iPhone 4S (White) 64 GB
kuwisdelu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Mr Slippy IV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Airplay, yes. Airprint, no.
Correct. AirPrint requires multitasking, which is not supported on the iPod touch 2nd generation. AirPlay should work, because it's an in-app feature.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro Early 2011 2.2 GHz
iPhone 4 32GB Black (CDMA)
Mr Slippy IV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:04 PM   #6
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Slippy IV View Post
Correct. AirPrint requires multitasking, which is not supported on the iPod touch 2nd generation. AirPlay should work, because it's an in-app feature.
Will there be any way perhaps, to be able to utilize AirPrint, even with some help from the JB community?
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Mr Slippy IV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Will there be any way perhaps, to be able to utilize AirPrint, even with some help from the JB community?
I wouldn't bet on it, but there is a chance that someone will be able to put that feature in there.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro Early 2011 2.2 GHz
iPhone 4 32GB Black (CDMA)
Mr Slippy IV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:14 PM   #8
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Slippy IV View Post
I wouldn't bet on it, but there is a chance that someone will be able to put that feature in there.
http://www.mobileclues.com/download-...and-ipod-touch

Just found it myself...testing it out now.
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:46 PM   #9
kuwisdelu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
http://www.mobileclues.com/download-...and-ipod-touch

Just found it myself...testing it out now.
Did this a few hours ago on my 2g Touch.

Just make sure it's not an MC model (Sttings->General->About->Model) or it'll be a tethered jailbreak (have to be connected to computer for every reboot).

I was waiting for iOS 4.2 to finally jailbreak, and I was only interested in the wallpaper and multitasking/AirPrint functionality. So far, snappiness has taken a slight hit, but no problems so far. Printed an email earlier to test after enabling shared printer AirPrinting on OS 10.6.5.
__________________
2.0 GHz quad-core i7 15" MacBook Pro 2011
iPad 2 (Black) WiFi+3G 64GB
iPhone 4S (White) 64 GB
kuwisdelu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:12 AM   #10
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Did this a few hours ago on my 2g Touch.

Just make sure it's not an MC model (Sttings->General->About->Model) or it'll be a tethered jailbreak (have to be connected to computer for every reboot).

I was waiting for iOS 4.2 to finally jailbreak, and I was only interested in the wallpaper and multitasking/AirPrint functionality. So far, snappiness has taken a slight hit, but no problems so far. Printed an email earlier to test after enabling shared printer AirPrinting on OS 10.6.5.
Thank you so much. I just JB'd my 2G iPod Touch and am currently gonna do the iPad. Sucks that it's tethered but I don't mind doing it again in a few days for the untethered version.

I have a few links opened at the moment concerning wireless printing. I'll take a look at Hacktivator, along with printopia and a few other hands on methods..

...anything really to get wireless printing via my airport express and not my mbp.
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Xterror
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
How can I tell if I have AirPlay on my iPod touch 8gb 3rd gen with 4.2.1? I dont see the icon anywhere, even when i turn on my music or video. Do I need an appleTv airplay signal first in order for it to pop up on my iPod?
Xterror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:24 PM   #12
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterror View Post
How can I tell if I have AirPlay on my iPod touch 8gb 3rd gen with 4.2.1? I dont see the icon anywhere, even when i turn on my music or video. Do I need an appleTv airplay signal first in order for it to pop up on my iPod?
Yes you need either an apple tv or an airport express
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it me or whenever Apple updates osx and ios airprint and airplay would stop workin aziatiklover Mac Peripherals 5 Dec 29, 2013 02:12 PM
Apple TV: Airplay with iPod Touch 4G? preyan Apple TV and Home Theater 2 Jul 14, 2013 11:52 AM
Using iPod touch with airplay Jerry1234 iPod touch 2 Apr 22, 2013 11:34 AM
iPod Touch 4G - Airplay Mirroring? Liquinn iPod touch 5 Jul 24, 2012 04:49 AM
does ipod touch do airplay? UKBeast iPod touch 1 Jul 12, 2012 07:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC