Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155116-ipad_nyt_front.jpg

A series of reports over the weekend and today are lending credence to claims from earlier this year that media conglomerate News Corp is moving forward on a tablet-focused news service, amplifying those earlier reports to note that Apple is playing a crucial role in the development of the product, despite the fact that its distribution will reportedly not be limited to the iPad.

One of the most specific reports in recent days came from fashion magazine Women's Wear Daily, which outlines News Corp's recent moves to hire 100 staffers to help bring the product, to be known as The Daily, to the iPad and other tablets in beta mode by Christmas at a price point of $0.99 per week.
News Corp. has spent the last three months assembling a newsroom that will soon be about 100 staffers strong. The Daily will launch in beta mode sometime around Christmas, and will be introduced to the public on the iPad and other tablet devices in early 2011. It is expected to cost 99 cents a week, or about $4.25 a month. It will come out - as the name suggests - seven days a week. The operation is currently working out of the 26th floor of the News Corp. Building on Sixth Avenue in a space that looks like a veritable construction zone. The staff's permanent home will be on the ninth floor, and they'll move down once it's ready.
While the report only briefly mentioned discussions between Apple CEO Steve Jobs and News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch about the project, The Guardian claims that Apple has played an integral role in the at least the technical side of The Daily's development.
According to reports, there will be no "print edition" or "web edition"; the central innovation, developed with assistance from Apple engineers, will be to dispatch the publication automatically to an iPad or any of the growing number of similar devices.
CNBC has also weighed in on the rumors, reporting that secrecy has been of the utmost importance during development of The Daily, with the floors directly above and below the offices of its staffers being "quarantined". The report notes that the publication will place a strong focus on interactivity and high-quality video.
The tablet-only news outlet called "The Daily" will contain what is being described as "highly visualized" and interactive content.
According to the report, high-quality video cameras will be used to provide content across a broad array of topics from news to gossip to children's content.

Article Link: Apple and News Corp Teaming Up on Tablet-Focused News Service

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
The iDevices are in need of a quality news outlet. Getting and sharing/saving news for later isn't very elegant yet. However, the Pulse news app is pretty good

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I would so subscribe to this. Big fan of the FoxNews approach (e.g. Fair and Balanced reporting) and News Corp in general. Aside from this, what I am most looking forward to seeing is the meltdown here when Rupert Murdock joins Steve Jobs on stage to introduce this.

Apple should have launched with this on DAY ONE of iPad sales.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Rupert Murdoch's companies aren't news agencies despite their names, they are more like entertainment for ultra conservatives. Otherwise this could be cool. At least it will spur competition from legitimate news organizations (I hope).

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The iDevices are in need of a quality news outlet. Getting and sharing/saving news for later isn't very elegant yet. However, the Pulse news app is pretty good

huffington post, AP, Thompson, fluent news

take your pick, and all free

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I would so subscribe to this. Big fan of the FoxNews approach (e.g. Fair and Balanced reporting) and News Corp in general. Aside from this, what I am most looking forward to seeing is the meltdown here when Rupert Murdock joins Steve Jobs on stage to introduce this.

Foxnews fair and unbalanced? Isn't that the worst US news network?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Just because they say at every commercial break that they are "fair and balanced" doesn't mean it is true.

What!? You have NO right to call yourself a TRUE Amuricun, sir! ;)

I am indeed happy about the news but would be happier if this didn’t get the horrendous Murdoch name and its questionable slapped all over it.

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Their "approach" is laughable at best.

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
I like the idea.....just not whose behind it.

Hopefully others would follow suit...I WOULD pay for a digital daily newspaper delivered to my ipad daily. Even though I can get it for free, extra premium content could be worth it.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Hilarious!

Just watching the forums to see the reaction of Uncle Steve's faithful to the news of a News Corp/Apple pairing will be good for ****s & giggles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.