Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you renew your subscription?

• Yes

Votes: 50 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
London
Simple question, in light of recent changes, has MobileMe been devalued or valued at such that you, as a current paid subscriber will renew your paid subscription with Apple.

Is the cost justified for the premium of 2/3 features (gallery and find my iOS are free)?

Playgear

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Simple question, in light of recent changes, has MobileMe been devalued or valued at such that you, as a current paid subscriber will renew your paid subscription with Apple.

Is the cost justified for the premium of 2/3 features (gallery and find my iOS are free)?

Are you sure Gallery is free?..

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've been a member for 6 years and have never paid more than 50% of the recommended price so as long as I can still find bargain renewals, I've no reason to stop subscribing. :)

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I have 144 days left of my first year of MobileMe. I will absolutely renew. It's a very valuable service, even with a few short comings. I use Dropbox for file storage because I have a Windows 7 desktop and Windows 7 partition on my MBP for school (Visual Studio 2010, etc.).

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
so when its time to renew...if you can find a discount ie. amazon...then you don't have to pay apple's full price?

so for the newbie question

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2005
I've been a member for 6 years and have never paid more than 50% of the recommended price so as long as I can still find bargain renewals, I've no reason to stop subscribing. :)

where might i find this deal? thank you good sir!

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
where might i find this deal? thank you good sir!

It's mentioned elsewhere, but go to Amazon and search for "Mobile Me Old Version".

The current cheapest version is $44 vs the $99 renewal price. For the $44, you get a box, a couple of snazzy Apple stickers and a code you use to go to me.com/activate and type in to renew. I've seen it range from $39 for a renewal to $51.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
It's mentioned elsewhere, but go to Amazon and search for "Mobile Me Old Version".

The current cheapest version is $44 vs the $99 renewal price. For the $44, you get a box, a couple of snazzy Apple stickers and a code you use to go to me.com/activate and type in to renew. I've seen it range from $39 for a renewal to $51.

The last one I bought was an old dotMac box off eBay for only £15 ($23). :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
For me, it's worth it.

I would like to see the storage for the base price.

I would like the file sharing to be improved on how it records sharing.

But other than that, it works well for me.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I have a Family Pack and it's worth every penny.

I get the feeling that not everyone fully exploits the features. For example, I use iDisk for sharing large files with clients and it's so simple and intuitive to use, plus clients can upload files through any browser.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Of course I'll bitch and moan about how free competitors can achieve the same job but in the end I'm far to lazy to make the switch, it took me months to swap from @live to @me because little things kept popping up which I'd forgotten existed and had to change, I'll just pay for the convenience.

I'm still dependent on my @live for my Windows Live ID for my gamer tag. And it's my Apple ID. It won't let me migrate my apple ID to my @me for some reason.

pclaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Santiago, Chile
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

The disaster with MobileMe starts when you have a couple of Macs and one iPhone that you sync all with that failing service. You start to receive all kind of surprises: revival of dead events in your schedule, contacts repeated 30!! times each (not all, just some, randomly) etc.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The disaster with MobileMe starts when you have a couple of Macs and one iPhone that you sync all with that failing service. You start to receive all kind of surprises: revival of dead events in your schedule, contacts repeated 30!! times each (not all, just some, randomly) etc.

I've got the same set up as you and haven't had any of those problems. The syncing between Macs and iPhone works very well for me.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yes I will now since I no longer pay 99 dollars from Apple. I buy it for 30-40 dollars now. And use it for my website of the same name.

pclaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Santiago, Chile
I've got the same set up as you and haven't had any of those problems. The syncing between Macs and iPhone works very well for me.
It did work fine while it was dot.Mac. I started long ago syncing between Macs and a Treo. As soon as it appeared i moved to iPhone.
It kept working fine. Then came the migration to MobileMe....

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

It did work fine while it was dot.Mac. I started long ago syncing between Macs and a Treo. As soon as it appeared i moved to iPhone.
It kept working fine. Then came the migration to MobileMe....

I've been syncing flawlessly with one Mac, two iPhones and one iPad... Until I added a second Mac and then I get all kinds of duplicates and missing contacts, etc. Sad thing is, I try to go back to just one mac and it no longer works. Seems fine with JUST two iPhones and an iPad so far... Drives me insane. It better get better, or I won't renew. I don't trust it at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.