Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:28 AM   #1
ninouno
macrumors newbie

Internal Hard Drive doesn't mount

I have a Dual 1.8 G5. I've been experiencing shutdowns at start up but came to the conclusion that it was the primary hard drive failing somehow. So I installed 10.4 on a secondary hard drive and use that as my main and it works.

So this hard drive that failed is readable when I boot from CD and run disk utility. But if I boot in 10.4 the disk doesn't mount but it shows up in disk utility as unmounted. Also shows up in system profiler.

Is there a way I can get this drive to mount so I can make backups of stuff on there? Right now I'm transferring files using Terminal when I boot from CD - it would be easier if i can use a GUI interface to do this.

any suggestions
ninouno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
rtrt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninouno View Post
I have a Dual 1.8 G5. I've been experiencing shutdowns at start up but came to the conclusion that it was the primary hard drive failing somehow. So I installed 10.4 on a secondary hard drive and use that as my main and it works.

So this hard drive that failed is readable when I boot from CD and run disk utility. But if I boot in 10.4 the disk doesn't mount but it shows up in disk utility as unmounted. Also shows up in system profiler.

Is there a way I can get this drive to mount so I can make backups of stuff on there? Right now I'm transferring files using Terminal when I boot from CD - it would be easier if i can use a GUI interface to do this.

any suggestions
one way to try is to stick the problem drive on an external interface - usb, firewire, say an external case or one of those 'toaster' mounts
rtrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs