Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Hi, I upgraded my 32 gb, wifi,3g iPad last night with no problems. Worked fine last night, and this morning until around 11:00 AM. Picked it up to use again around 12 PM and it is totally dead.
All my usual trouble shooting ideas not working. Press power button, hold in power button, press power button and home button at same time. Plugged it into charging adapter and it won't come on, then plugged it into computer and iTunes does not even see it, iPad won't come on. I guess I will call Apple, and take it into the nearby Apple Store. Anyone with this issue, and trouble shooting suggestions? Maybe just a coincidence, and the battery is dead, although it did have at least 50% charge. (jbmac username does not stand for jailbreak, it is my intials) Thanks! :confused:

Last edited:

Gravematter

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
The same thing happened to mine. I updated last night, used it for about an hour and now this morning it's totally dead. I've also tried everything to get it working again and it's just totally dead. What the heck!??!

RibbitX

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
totally dead

Try holding the sleep/wake button (top right) and the home button (bottom center) for about 10 seconds. If that doesn't work then try doing the same procedure with it plugged into a power source.

If that doesn't work then try this article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808
(it only says iPhone and iPod Touch but the process for the iPad is the same)

Source Information from this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2468023

JBmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
10 seconds or more

I was just about on my way out the door to my 6:45 pm appointment Monday night at the Apple Store when I thought I'm going to try one last time to fix. Because you know what happens (and it happened with my 1st gen iPhone) when the Apple genius gets ahold of it, it comes right on, so I held the power and home buttons for at least 10 second, maybe more, and then th Apple logo appeared. I haven't had any issues since then, and I saved myself a trip to the Apple Store, and some embarrassment too! Hope this helps!

surferchick2

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Fidalgo Island, WA
Mine did that temporarily this evening also. I had a charge, turned on, when it suddenly went black. After about 5 minutes trying to turn it on, boot, etc, the apple finally emerged. Someone in another thread said it could be an app causing the problem, although I'd used this app regularly for the last few months. It wasn't a big deal since it was resolved fairly quickly, as long as it's not a sign of something more serious. It had never happened before.

Onyaholmes

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Any ideas why this is happening?

Had the same problem ....Updated 4 days ago then it went black.I used the hold down sleep and home button for 15 seconds trick then it came back on. Anybody know why this is happening ?

shiarua

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Odd, I have not experienced my iPad dying after being idle for a while.

Could be multitasking that is killing it. Perhaps something is running in the background eating up compute time and draining the battery.

I have noticed that 4.2.1 battery life is worse than 3.2.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.