Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:19 PM   #1
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Family guy aspect ratio issue on AppleTV

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can give me a hand on a problem I am having.

I downloaded a family guy episode of a torrent the other day, it seems that the aspect ratio of these files are 4:3 if I'm not mistake ( ie on my AppleTV they appear narrow horizontally). Now I found a way to fix this by changing my sanding tv video settings from 16:9 to wide screen.

There is another option called "just scan" but that seems to do nothing in terms of fixing my issue. What I thought the tv can do is some sort of auto adjustment based on the video input, and that what I thought the just scan would do. It turns out that it doesn't.

So from the looks of it, each time i was to watch family guy I have to change my video settings on the tv, which of course is not a big deal. But my question for you guys, am I missing something? Is there a solution I don't know of?

I hope you guys can give me a hand hear and thanks in advance

Oh some addition info, my tv is a 52" samsung tv 1080p and the tv show was converted from .avi to .mov using iflicks "HD 720p" preset.

Thanks
AE
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:42 AM   #2
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the files are 16:9 but have been encoded to play back as 4:3. Are they episodes from this season, that have aired in 16:9? Are black bars encoded into the video, or have they been cut from the file?

Reconvert the avi files or use a program like MPEG Streamclip to change the display ratio without converting.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:07 PM   #3
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSuplex View Post
Sounds like the files are 16:9 but have been encoded to play back as 4:3. Are they episodes from this season, that have aired in 16:9? Are black bars encoded into the video, or have they been cut from the file?

Reconvert the avi files or use a program like MPEG Streamclip to change the display ratio without converting.
Hi,

I'm not sure if they were originally 16;9, i just used iflicks "HD 720p" preset to convert them. It worked for all my other files except the family guy.

They are torrent files is there a way to determine what the aspect ratio of the original file it?

Thanks
AE
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:06 PM   #4
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bring this up again,

But I have 8 sessions of family guy already converted to .mov. I cant seem to find a solution to this without reconverting. I'm pretty sure the avi files are 4:3 ratio as well so its no how I converted them.

Any way to convert the aspect ratio without reconverting the files?

Thanks in advance.
AE
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:35 AM   #5
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

My advice:

Use Handbrake, choose the Universal preset, queue them all up to convert, and let them convert while you sleep/go to school/work/etc.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:32 PM   #6
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSuplex View Post
My advice:

Use Handbrake, choose the Universal preset, queue them all up to convert, and let them convert while you sleep/go to school/work/etc.
I appreciate your advice but thats not going to work. From the looks of it and how .avi play on itunes (perian installed), they are in 4:3 already. its not iFlicks fault.

Unless using handbrake I can specifically say encode using a 16:9 aspect ratio and it will automatically convert them to that as it encodes?

is that possible

Thanks
AE

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater