Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Hi Folks,

Airplay is in full effect between my MacBook and ATV2 and I can also use my iPad / iPhone as a remote etc, great! But I was under the impression that with Airplay I could beam video anywhere, from any device. My main interest initially in ATV2 and Airplay was that if I rented a movie on ATV2 and wanted to view the remainder in another room, could I just Airplay it from the ATV2 to the iPad? It would seem not. Does anybody know if, when you have rented a movie on ATV2 and stopped it half way through can you resume playback from your itunes account on another device (i.e. my iPad!). Or, would it make sense to rent the film on the ipad and send to the ATV2? I've yet to rent a movie to try!

Cheers.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Hi Folks,

Airplay is in full effect between my MacBook and ATV2 and I can also use my iPad / iPhone as a remote etc, great! But I was under the impression that with Airplay I could beam video anywhere, from any device. My main interest initially in ATV2 and Airplay was that if I rented a movie on ATV2 and wanted to view the remainder in another room, could I just Airplay it from the ATV2 to the iPad? It would seem not. Does anybody know if, when you have rented a movie on ATV2 and stopped it half way through can you resume playback from your itunes account on another device (i.e. my iPad!). Or, would it make sense to rent the film on the ipad and send to the ATV2? I've yet to rent a movie to try!

Cheers.

No, Airplay doesn't send to the iPad. It hasn't been mentioned by Apple as a planned development either.

If you rent a movie on the Apple TV you can only play it on that or other Apple TV's. If you plan on watching it on any other devices then rent it through iTunes, either on your computer or iPad.

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks. That's what I thought. Shame you can't do it but we'll see how the whole thing progresses! Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.