Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
ok...i recently purchased a 27" i3 but returned today for a i7. While using handbrake on the i7 it is running so much slower. i am using the same settings i used on the i3

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What are you doing with HandBrake? Encoding a file that'd in your HD or DVD? DVD drive is very slow and might be that it was faster in your i3

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have an i7 and I average around 80fps for a ripped DVD from my HDD with the default AppleTV settings.

I generally get about the same with my i7 iMac. I have seen it go over 100 fps for some movies... but typically about 80 or so. I also convert using the default Apple TV profile.

/Jim

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
maybe i am doing something wrong now. the i3 was about 80fps too now i am getting about 45fps. i am using the same settings regular high profile

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Remember that it depends on the file and its bitrate (i.e. quality). The higher the bitrate, the longer it takes to encode and thus it encodes less frames per second.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Remember that it depends on the file and its bitrate (i.e. quality). The higher the bitrate, the longer it takes to encode and thus it encodes less frames per second.

Hellhammer... what's the best settings to keep the aspect ratio close to or the same as the orig?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hellhammer... what's the best settings to keep the aspect ratio close to or the same as the orig?

You can set HandBrake to keep the aspect ratio from the Picture Settings. I haven't tried different settings that much so I can't really help you with the best setting, I usually use iPhone or normal, they are fine for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.