Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psirix

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Detroit, MI
So, I've been sitting here for a week trying to determine which MBA purchase. I think I've settled on the 11". However, I was wondering, how many folks out there have bought AppleCare for their new MBA? I'm the previous owner of 3 MacBooks (2 MBP's)...I'd have to say the only time I used it was for the original MacBook I owned to replace the plastics. Most of the machines I've had I've kept for < 3 years, so I've never maximized the use of it but know it has certainly added to the resell value. The MBA won't be my primary machine, and will be used more for light browsing, e-mail, papers but not very hard use. I'd like to keep the price down if possible but feel like I might jynx myself if I don't buy it this time. Just thought I'd get some insight on what others are doing... thanks!

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I do what I typically do. I generally enjoy the first year free warranty, then before it is up, I get the AppleCare. It allows me to get an idea of what I will do with the unit, by then. That's just my typical way of doing it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I do what I typically do. I generally enjoy the first year free warranty, then before it is up, I get the AppleCare. It allows me to get an idea of what I will do with the unit, by then. That's just my typical way of doing it.
x2.

My experience is that whether or not I end up using it personally, it makes reselling an Apple notebook for a decent price that much easier.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Without AppleCare you have 90 days of tech support and a one year warranty. Since you have several other Macs tech support is not likely much of an issue so it really depends on how long you are going to keep your machine and how hard you are on your gear.

AppleCare will get you 3 years of support and warranty. Some family members that are hard on gear and tend to keep machines for 2-3 years I get AppleCare for. One use can easily pay for itself.

I don't usually keep my machines for more than a year and am easy on stuff so I usually wait til the end of the first year. If it looks like I'll be keeping the machine I'll get AppleCare. It also helps with resale value if you sell before 3 years. If I know I'll be getting rid of the machine soon, I won't bother.

hannahjayne

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
I've always had it because as a student you get it for £50. However, i've never used it for any of my Macs. Interested to hear you can use it for the plastics on a MacBook - mine has a big chip in it that has been driving me insane for 18 months!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.