Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:24 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iWork Screenshots

Category: Apple Software
Link: iWork Screenshots
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:31 AM   #2
SuperChuck
macrumors 6502

Pages looks so amazing. I'm so glad to be free of MS without settling for AppleWorks. This app hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as the mini, but it will have a lot more impact on our Mac experience.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:40 AM   #3
munkle
macrumors 68030

I'm really looking forward to iWork. Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.
munkle is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:50 AM   #4
Nermal

Yeah, I can't wait to try out Pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkle
Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.
The local grammar department says: It's just 'myriad,' not 'a myriad of.' Think of using it interchangeably with 'many.'

I'm not really trying to nitpick, I just learnt this a little while ago and now it kind of jumps out at me!
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:00 AM   #5
3Memos
Banned

Pages look great, but I wonder how useable it is without template support.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:09 AM   #6
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkle
I'm really looking forward to iWork. Keynote needed an upgrade (even though I still use it over Powerpoint 2004) and I've already though of a myriad of uses for Pages.
And the local spelling/typo-notice department says: We think you meant 'thought' and not 'though'.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:13 AM   #7
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
The local grammar department says: It's just 'myriad,' not 'a myriad of.' Think of using it interchangeably with 'many.'

I'm not really trying to nitpick, I just learnt this a little while ago and now it kind of jumps out at me!
I can't resist getting embroiled in a grammar debate.

According to dictionary.com, it can and has been used as a noun. However, you're correct in that it seems that it's mainly used as an adjective nowadays:

Quote:
Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's “Myriad myriads of lives.” This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, both uses in English are parallel with those of the original ancient Greek. The Greek word mrias, from which myriad derives, could be used as either a noun or an adjective, but the noun mrias was used in general prose and in mathematics while the adjective mrias was used only in poetry.
Anyway, iWork looks really interesting, but I think I'll have to play around with it myself for a bit. I'm used to MS Word, and it doesn't seem like there's the same sort of toolbars in Pages? Like, where is the bold / italic / underline, the font pull-down menu, etc.? What, are they going for simplicity or something? It'll definitely be worth a good look once it's out.
dotnina is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:21 AM   #8
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Well you learn something everyday, don't you? In the most unexpected places, too...

irmongoose
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:31 AM   #9
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:

I'm going with dotnina on this one! I'm old school

Although I must bow down to the local spelling/typo-notice department. I did mean thought.

And now perhaps back to iWork...
munkle is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:31 AM   #10
maya
macrumors 68040

Looking forward to both programs.

Pages has all the controls such as underline, bold, scratch off, etc... its under the "A" icon/button. Its just not shown in those screen shots.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:37 AM   #11
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnina
According to dictionary.com, it can and has been used as a noun.
Ah OK, I didn't know that. It's always risky to point out grammar errors!
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:41 AM   #12
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Ah OK, I didn't know that. It's always risky to point out grammar errors!
Agreed. Its a double edged sword. Let him... cast the first stone...
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:59 AM   #13
sord
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
Pages look great, but I wonder how useable it is without template support.
What are you talking about?! At the Pages page, the four main sections describing the product are "Word Processor", "Page Designs", "Templates", and "Compatibility". Check http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/templates.html
sord is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:15 AM   #14
kewpid
macrumors regular

I think he means to ask how useable it is when starting from a blank page.
kewpid is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 03:34 AM   #15
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpid
I think he means to ask how useable it is when starting from a blank page.
I'm sure it's fine. Just like using Textedit, but probably not as good as Word. Probably easier, though.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:55 AM   #16
macridah
macrumors 6502a

Those apps are going to be winners. I picking up an academic copy of that this bad boy saturday (jan 22). Some apple stores are going to open early and have an event for the mac mini release ... iWork will also be available.
macridah is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:44 AM   #17
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

I'm still wondering if I'll be able to find a use for Pages... seems like such a waste if Apple makes software I don't buy
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:38 AM   #18
srobert
macrumors 68020

I'm curious about how well "importing" and "exporting" to Microsoft Word works and if it multiple imports/exports back and forth can damage or mess up a file. i.e.: Can 2 people, one using word and one using page work on a same document many times in turns without screwing up the file too much? I guess we'll have to try.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:55 AM   #19
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
I'm sure it's fine. Just like using Textedit, but probably not as good as Word. Probably easier, though.
In the keynote, I noticed a lack of "Paperclip Guy Banging On The Screen". What use is it, if Pages leaves out such an important word processing feature.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:09 AM   #20
3Memos
Banned

Version 1 of anything is probably going to suck, Pages included. Keynote2 at least should be very polished.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:13 AM   #21
pyrotoaster
macrumors 65816

I'm definitely looking forward to Pages replacing both Word and TextEdit in my dock (it's a win-win-win there).

I'm really interested in how several of the templates look particularly weblog-ish (or at least webpage-ish) and how exactly that will work HTML exporting. At the very least, it looks like Pages will offer some really nice basic GUI site building, but it would be really nice if I could take one of the templates, manipulate to my liking, and use it in a more dynamic web environment (such as a MT blog, et cetera).

Either way, I'm already getting odd ideas of how to use some of Pages' snazzier features (oh yeah, and the word processing ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark
In the keynote, I noticed a lack of "Paperclip Guy Banging On The Screen". What use is it, if Pages leaves out such an important word processing feature.
But how will I know when it looks like I'm writing a letter now?!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:20 AM   #22
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
Version 1 of anything is probably going to suck, Pages included. Keynote2 at least should be very polished.
Keynote v1 certainly didn't suck. Might have begun to show its age recently but certainly did not suck.
munkle is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:44 AM   #23
azdude
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotoaster
But how will I know when it looks like I'm writing a letter now?!
azdude is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:50 AM   #24
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotoaster
I'm really interested in how several of the templates look particularly weblog-ish (or at least webpage-ish) and how exactly that will work HTML exporting. At the very least, it looks like Pages will offer some really nice basic GUI site building, but it would be really nice if I could take one of the templates, manipulate to my liking, and use it in a more dynamic web environment (such as a MT blog, et cetera).
It is my understanding that Pages does not have an "export to HTML" feature, so you're gonna be SOL in that regard.
dejo is online now   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:56 AM   #25
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
It is my understanding that Pages does not have an "export to HTML" feature, so you're gonna be SOL in that regard.
Check out pic from apple:
Attached Images

munkle is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion