Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marckmaching

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
For many of you who have iPhone 4′s and tried to update to iOS 4.2.1, you may encounter Error 1013 on iTunes. This seems to be a widespread issue and widely discussed on Apple’s forum. Fear not, there is already a way to fix this Error 1013.

Due to the rush of releasing this iOS version, a bug like this is bound to come out. This has been reported to Apple but if you don’t intend to wait any longer, please see the following for the instructions. Methods on Fixing the Error 1013 are available for Mac and PC.

Mac OS X

1. On your Mac, go to “Applications” folder.

2. Go to the “Utilities” folder.

3. Start “Terminal”.

4. Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit enter.

5. Enter your login password

6. Use the down arrow key to find “gs.apple.com”. Add “#” in front of the text e.g. #gs.apple.com

7. Save the file by hitting CONTROL+O.

8. Exit the nano editor.

9. Restore your iPhone.

Windows

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories

2. Run Notepad. Note: on Windows 7, right click on Notepad icon and select “Run As Administrator”

3. Click File > Open

4. Go to Windows/System32/drivers/etc

5. In “files of type:” select all documents

6. Open “hosts”

7. Delete any entry with “gs.apple.com”

8. Click Save

9. Restore your iPhone

Good luck!!!:apple::apple::apple:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
For many of you who have iPhone 4′s and tried to update to iOS 4.2.1, you may encounter Error 1013 on iTunes. This seems to be a widespread issue and widely discussed on Apple’s forum. Fear not, there is already a way to fix this Error 1013.

Due to the rush of releasing this iOS version, a bug like this is bound to come out. This has been reported to Apple but if you don’t intend to wait any longer, please see the following for the instructions. Methods on Fixing the Error 1013 are available for Mac and PC.

i have 2 points.

1. this release was in no way rushed, if you were in the Dev program you'd have known this....

2. the 1013 error is not native to this release, it did it to me on 4.1 and also 4.0 on my 3G. 4.2 went on without a hitch for me.

but thanks for the guide, if i encounter the problem again, i'll try it.

Kiirk

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Generally only jailbreakers or those who have saved their SHSH to have this issue.

It's only when the host file has been modified.

billyfoil

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
marckmaching I want to thank you very much for this. I did this and it worked and saved me a trip to apple store to argue with them lol

I dont know alot about this type of stuff but after reading this stuff noticed a lot of people saying tiny umbrella modifies the thing i just fixed... :(

thanks again :):apple:

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
I followed the intructions for windows, with no avail.

I then followed the instructions for OSX, and it worked :) Thanks!

Ezdezat

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
I just wanted to say thanks, what's your address i'll send you an Xmas present?! :D

2 days of trying everything to get out of recovery & i found this post. It worked!

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Can somebody explain why this step is necessary? Why is the failure occuring at all?

1013sucks

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Big help

I don't ever post in forums, at all, but this tip will work 100%, I've tried everything the last 4 hours including TinyUmbrella, and RecBoot to try and kick it out of the recovery loop and neither worked until i stumbled across this forum and it worked on the first try. So do what he/she said and use....

sudo nano /etc/hosts

Good Luck!

solius

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Decatur AL
so this isnt working for me. I do have 2 hosts files though. one is the regular hosts file and there is a second one that says lmhost file do i delete the gs.apple line from both?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Unles you have SHSH blobs saved for 4.2.1, there is no way of upgrading to 4.2.1, as apple no longer signs iOS 4.2.1 for any iPhone other than the iPhone 3G and the second-generation iPod Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.