Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Thanksgiving Roundup: Apple Buys Land, New MacBooks in April, App Store Sales, Black Friday Prices

Mercury News reports that Apple has purchased 98 acres of land in Cupertino which was owned by HP:Apple's latest acquisition is the longtime Cupertino campus of rival tech giant Hewlett-Packard, the Mercury News learned Wednesday. HP announced over the summer that it planned to move out of that site, which it had occupied for decades, as it consolidates operations at its Palo Alto headquarters over the next two years.The extra land will be used by Apple to expand their existing Cupertino campus.

Three Guys and a Podcast are claiming that Apple will be holding two special events next year:

- January 2011 - New iPad
- April 2011 - All New Mac Book Pros + Final Cut Pro Update

They don't list their source for the information, so we're not sure how much is speculative, but they claim the MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive.

The Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. has triggered massive sales in the App Store. TouchArcade has consolidated a massive list of notable gaming sales. Meanwhile, AppShopper offers a running list of every App Store sale as they happen. The Universal App let's you find sales on your iOS device.

Apple Australia has already begun their Black Friday sales with the following discounts:

-A$51 on iPad (8%)
-A$121 on MBP (8%)
-A$15 or 25 on Nano (respective sizes) (up to 12%)
-A$25, 45 or 51 on iPod Touch (respective sizes) (up to 18%)
-A$121 on MBA (only 13") (7.5%)
-A$121 on iMac (8%)

We'll cover Apple's U.S. Black Friday sales tomorrow, which should offer similar savings.

Article Link: Thanksgiving Roundup: Apple Buys Land, New MacBooks in April, App Store Sales, Black Friday Prices

Last edited by arn; Nov 25, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
yvonnejim
macrumors newbie

11.6 MacBook Pro

Still hoping for the smaller MacBook Pro. Any chance or rumors of this ever happening?
yvonnejim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
kennycheng93
macrumors member

Mbp = mba?

"MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive." ???

Then the 13'' MBP will be discontinued!
kennycheng93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:31 AM   #4
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

What if they had SSD + second internal storage? Some people need to carry around hundreds of gigs of stuff. And no external HD
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:31 AM   #5
wordoflife
macrumors 604

When I was buying my Mac in July, I am glad I "didn't wait for the newer model" because theres no way I would have waited until April 2011.

I wonder what they will add though. Probably not worth the time not being spent without a Mac.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:35 AM   #6
acidfast7
Banned

Would be very helpful if the OP gave the PERCENTAGE reduction instead of absolute value.

Absolute value doesn't tell us anything about what we may expect in the US.
acidfast7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:36 AM   #7
-=XX=-Nephilim
Banned

April sounds juicy and comes as refreshing rumour after yet another wave of iYawn posts!

Keeping my fingers crossed for Solid State + no optical drive + better GPU!

Quad Core option would be nice too...

Last edited by -=XX=-Nephilim; Nov 25, 2010 at 09:52 AM.
-=XX=-Nephilim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:37 AM   #8
johnnymg
macrumors 65816

Absolutely NO new ipad in Jan.

An announcement maybe for release in the spring.

JohnG
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:37 AM   #9
skiwildcat7
macrumors newbie

No optical drive?? Are you kidding me? How am I supposed to install something if it isn't possible to download it? We aren't ready for totally getting rid of optical drives yet. It's like when Rumsfeld thought he could take over Iraq with just Special Forces.
skiwildcat7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:42 AM   #10
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwildcat7 View Post
No optical drive?? Are you kidding me? How am I supposed to install something if it isn't possible to download it? We aren't ready for totally getting rid of optical drives yet. It's like when Rumsfeld thought he could take over Iraq with just Special Forces.
1) buy an external optical drive
2) use remote disk like the MacBook air
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:42 AM   #11
lord patton
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
What if they had SSD + second internal storage? Some people need to carry around hundreds of gigs of stuff. And no external HD
Yes, yes, yes, please, please, please.

Plenty of folk have swapped out their optical drive to have an HDD+SDD combo. Unfortunately, between sleep/hibernation issues, power management issues, and the need to move files around from one drive to another, I haven't been willing to go this route.

If Apple took care of all the nitty gritty, though, it'd be sweet.

Several manufacturers now make 7 mm harddrives. Use that, along with an MBA style blade SSD card, lose the optical drive, and have the OS manage which files go to which drive, and we'd have a moderately priced, very thin, VERY fast machine.

Last edited by lord patton; Nov 25, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
lord patton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:43 AM   #12
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
I guess they might have those external Super drives too. Hopefully they'll include it free, because it is a Macbook "Pro".

Thumb resize.

Not a bad idea though, if you aren't the one who needs an optical drive all the time, everywhere you go.

It looks like the new MBPs will be just on time for 10.7. Should be pretty beast
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:44 AM   #13
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post
Absolutely NO new ipad in Jan.

An announcement maybe for release in the spring.

JohnG
Yea. Unless they plan to launch it in January there will be no January announcement. Since when does apple announce a product update and fail to ship it for another 3-4 months.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:45 AM   #14
bug67
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
"...They claim the MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive..."
Just a rumor, I know. But, if at all true, Apple will continue to support my decision to NOT buy their laptops.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:48 AM   #15
bruinselmann
macrumors member

There is absolutely no way they are taking the optical drive out of the MacBook Pro so soon. Personally, I would love to get rid of optical media for good - but it's not yet going to happen.

Maybe as an option, though. Might be convenient to use the space for an additional battery.
bruinselmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:49 AM   #16
innominato5090
macrumors 6502

news quality: good, bad, meh
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:50 AM   #17
acurafan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
...It's like when Rumsfeld thought he could take over Iraq with just Special Forces.
Haha! that cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
I guess they might have those external Super drives too. Hopefully they'll include it free, because it is a Macbook "Pro
we're talking about jobs here, you're paying extra for it. good luck getting it free.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:52 AM   #18
Cosmo M3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post
Yea. Unless they plan to launch it in January there will be no January announcement. Since when does apple announce a product update and fail to ship it for another 3-4 months.
Let's turn back the clock to January 27, 2010:

Apple introduces the iPad for the first time to the world.

April 3, 2010: the iPad is released in the US.

Did you already forget that buddy?
Cosmo M3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:53 AM   #19
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Cant wait for the Final Cut Studio Update. Better be 64 bit and have multi core and multi threaded support. The lack of these things is ridiculous.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:55 AM   #20
blizaine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I agree! this is what I have on my i7 thinkpad. 80GB SSD for OS and programs w/ 1TB 7200 2.5 HD for everything else. It's not nearly as elegant as it would be with the mac. I had to replace my internal CD bay with a HD tray.

It's awesome. I would love the same ability in a macbook!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:58 AM   #21
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo M3 View Post
Let's turn back the clock to January 27, 2010:

Apple introduces the iPad for the first time to the world.

April 3, 2010: the iPad is released in the US.

Did you already forget that buddy?
That wasn't a product update. The iPad was totally new.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:59 AM   #22
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hmm.. I got two HDDs AND an optical drive in my Dell M6400.

...Then again its a monstrosity that's power adapter alone weighs more than the MBA.
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:00 AM   #23
AppleMacFinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
They don't list their source for the information, so we're not sure how much is speculative, but they claim the MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive.
Yeah!!! It's time to jump to the future!
Forget about the optical drive!
AppleMacFinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:00 AM   #24
jeznav
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Future restore discs could be replaced by USB thumb drives like the MBA. Optical has a limit of 8gb storage, USB flash drives are now more than 64GB. Lots of downloadable software will be on Mac App Store, maybe including major OS upgrades.

No optical drive = more battery space

Last edited by jeznav; Nov 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
jeznav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Dagless
macrumors Core

I have bought so much for so little on the App store in the past couple of days. Using the Appshopper app and every couple of hours I refresh the paid games with price changes - mega useful app. Hoping that some of my wishlist items go on sale in the next day (Chaos Rings, FF1-2).

Between this and the Steam sale too - I'm gonna be broke before Christmas .

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion