Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F3NG3R

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Hi fellow iPhone owners

I am currently writing a report on iPhone security, and I am looking for specific case to study. So if you have heard of a case where data have been stolen of an iPhone, one way or the other, and where the data have actually been used to do something afterwards (Corporate information revealed, passwords used to access the owners homebanking or something like that). I have been unable to find anything through google, so I hope that one of you know something:)

I can use anything, as long as the user who got data stolen actually cared about it. And needless to say, the iPhone must not have been jailbroken.

Thanks
/f3ng3r

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
Although security holes have been noticed, such as the PDF exploit that allowed our unlock, I don't think there has been a case where information has been stolen in a way a trojan might steal information. It would have been pretty big news if something liek that were around.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
There was an exploit reported for jailbroken phones. Basically if a user jailbroke and didn't change their root password and left SSH enabled, anyone who knew the default password could go in remotely and gain access to the phone at the root level...

But I think that's a pretty small subset of users, and it's not Apple's fault because they don't condone/support jailbreaking. So I'm not sure if that helps...

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Hi fellow iPhone owners

I am currently writing a report on iPhone security, and I am looking for specific case to study. So if you have heard of a case where data have been stolen of an iPhone, one way or the other, and where the data have actually been used to do something afterwards (Corporate information revealed, passwords used to access the owners homebanking or something like that). I have been unable to find anything through google, so I hope that one of you know something:)

I can use anything, as long as the user who got data stolen actually cared about it. And needless to say, the iPhone must not have been jailbroken.

Thanks
/f3ng3r

lol are you in high school?

you should always have some primary sources, or at least know where to find them, before starting a paper

F3NG3R

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
lol are you in high school?

you should always have some primary sources, or at least know where to find them, before starting a paper

No I'm not in high school, and I haven't actually startet writing, sry if it came off that way, but english is not my primary language. I'm still just looking for sources, and had a hard time believing that nobody had never lost anything important from an iPhone.

But it seems to be the case. So I might need to formulate my research question to something that does not include an actual case study.. But I'll give it untill tomorrow..

Damn you Apple and your awesome phone:D

thank you to everybody who has responded so far, and more responses are always welcome..

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Although security holes have been noticed, such as the PDF exploit that allowed our unlock, I don't think there has been a case where information has been stolen in a way a trojan might steal information. It would have been pretty big news if something liek that were around.

Ummm, didn't you read any of the news reports about iTunes users getting their accounts hacked and having money stolen from them? And it wasn't user stupidity, it was Apple stupidity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.