Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:47 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Dell dismisses "one-product wonder" iPod as a "fad"

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Dell dismisses \"one-product wonder\" iPod as a \"fad\"
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

A fad: like the Walkman, they say...
Like the yoyo and hula-hoop.

They can say all they like. Fact is, no-one really knows where things may go over the next 5-10 years...

Shame that having a Dell never was cool... I hear the sound of envy.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:56 AM   #3
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
A fad: like the Walkman, they say...
Like the yoyo and hula-hoop.

They can say all they like. Fact is, no-one really knows where things may go over the next 5-10 years...

Shame that having a Dell never was cool... I hear the sound of envy.
Dell had to pay people to use their Dell DJ, as witnessed on Oprah's Favorite Things.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:59 AM   #4
hcuar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
Dell had to pay people to use their Dell DJ, as witnessed on Oprah's Favorite Things.
Dell DJ? <nelson voice> haha </end nelson voice>
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Tell us more. We don't get that over here unless it's on satellite...

Did Dell pay Oprah for a piece of product placement & puffery?

Bet she's got an iPod, though
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:01 AM   #6
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

Walkman a fad??????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????

What has its sales been? SOmething like 300 Million+?

Man Dell are running scared.
combatcolin is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7
macridah
macrumors 6502a

Dell always claims sour grapes, or sour apples in this case. They try to copy the iMac and failed; the tried to copy the iPod, same result; tried to team up with an online music store, same.

Next thing you know, they'll come up with a mac mini wanna be.
macridah is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:14 AM   #8
zelmo
macrumors 603

I think Apple would be ecstatic if the iPod "only" turned out to be a fad on par with the Walkman.
No, the Mac mini isn't going to allow Apple to become the PC leader, but it may help them double their market to 5-6%, maybe more. That's a big enough slice to keep Apple healthy and feeding us with great products for years to come.

Dell? puh-leeease!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:19 AM   #9
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Dell's absolutely right about "not being in the same league" as Apple - their target markets couldn't be more different. Dell primarily sells to businesses, while Apple sells mostly to consumers - definition of different leagues right there. I wouldn't expect Dell to be impressed with the Mac mini, given that their prices are more aggressive. However, they're missing the software part of the "Mac equation" - namely iLife and Mac OS X - something PC people are prone to doing. I don't think Dell will be running scared, but they won't be expecting the Mac mini to sell as well as I think it will (it'll become the most popular Mac Apple sells VERY quickly).
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Photorun
Banned

Dell does this while secretly yanking it in private under his alter to Steve Jobs. Without Apple, Dell wouldn't "innovate" (sic).
Photorun is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:02 AM   #11
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
Tell us more. We don't get that over here unless it's on satellite...

Did Dell pay Oprah for a piece of product placement & puffery?

Bet she's got an iPod, though
Oprah had iPods on one of her "favourite things" episodes and gave everyone in the audience one.

Michael Dell was never about innovation, only profit. He doesn't care to be interesting or different, just rich. He's succeeded.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:21 AM   #12
hcuar
macrumors 65816

Yes, and people once thought the PCs were a fad as well. This reminds me of Microsofts typical pattern. If you can make something as cool or useful as your competitor, tear it down.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:23 AM   #13
jvaska
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jvaska
Dell: Whooo! We sell to businesses because that's where the money is. We don't know **** about people who live in houses.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:29 AM   #14
paulypants
macrumors 6502a

Dell's new slogans:

"We make crap, and we're proud of it!"

"Dell's not a fad, it's crap 4 life!"

"No one makes crap like Dell, no one."
paulypants is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:31 AM   #15
njmac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Oprah claims that they ask a company to donate (I think it is about 300) of the items and if a company says no, her producers ask a different company. She gave away iPods a year or two ago.
njmac is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:32 AM   #16
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Our strategic focus has been on corporations and institutions, and selling them large server clusters and huge SAN installations - the data centre isn't very sexy to write about but, frankly, that's where the money is. Number one is corporations and institutions
Oh is it? Humm... What about Apple, XServe, XSan and Oracle? Oh, Mr. Andy McCue probably hasn't heard of that, maybe he was too busy "not being impressed with the mini"

Let 'em be unimpressed, the more unimpressed they are, the more they will be taken by surprise. First the iPod, now the Mac platform. As I read somewhere in another thread, Apple seems to be rolling out products like they were playing chess or something. Just look at this diagram posted a few days ago in MacBytes: http://www.nixlog.com/apple/

Add Tiger, iLife, iWork and XServe/XServe RAID/XSan to the equation, and what do you get? If it isn't some attempt at world domination, you tell me what that is! (I know this is all wishful thinking, but admit it, it'd be cool to see Apple dominating this and that market, just like they did with the iPod )
Mainyehc is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:38 AM   #17
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmac
Oprah claims that they ask a company to donate (I think it is about 300) of the items and if a company says no, her producers ask a different company. She gave away iPods a year or two ago.
It seemed like Dell was trying to clear excess inventory, while at the same time, getting national media attention on the Oprah show. Poor teachers, I bet half of them would have no idea what to do with those gawd-awful DJs.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:06 PM   #18
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Does the CEO of Dell not realize that their "sustainable business model" is only sustainable as long as they have Apple to borrow ideas from?
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:16 PM   #19
tYNS
macrumors member

Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcolin
Walkman a fad?
What has its sales been? SOmething like 300 Million+?
Man Dell are running scared.
I would have to somewhat agree. Walkman was never a fad item. It was an evolutionary item. The walkman is still around, not called the walkman though. It is called the iPod now. Walkman never did die, it just became the basis of the idea of portable music. As media progressed so did the walkman. It eventually became the Discman.

Then with one fatal decision, Sony decided to evolve to the MiniDisc. This however was not a standard format. Thus a bad move on sony's part. Apple picked up the slack with a portable MP3 player. The thing that made the Walkman and Discman so popular was the fact that it was a no hassle .. go to the musc store .. buy your cassette/cd .. drop it in your player .. experience. Apple realized that in order to continue and evolve the MP3 format they would need to make the experience similar to what it was like in the past. Hence the iTunes music store.

The great thing about these players is that they can be software updated if problems come about. If digital formats change they can be tweaked to support them.. Newer models can expand capacity of the music player. The ability to store all your music on one device allows added convenience that the walkman and discman failed with. The ability to have quick loseless backups of your music in other locations is also nice. The ability to create your own music playlists.

I don't necessarily see the mp3/aac player dying anytime shortly. There are far too many convenience issues that it solved from previous generation portable music players. The only thing that could kill the player is if the store(s) that back the sales dwindle. Another issue is the fact that not everyone has a computer. If a local mall music store was smart enough and wanted to compete with apple, they would get in the market of offering electronic music purchases at their stores. A person would purchase a player and be able to buy music at the mall without the need of a computer.

Perhaps apple should even think about doing this. Setting up local mall iTunes kiosks.

After apple has it's players in the palms of every customer and they have made their big earnings off the inital start-up.. you will start to see them licensing out the DRM to other stores to follow... this ensuring the success of their product.

Last edited by tYNS; Jan 17, 2005 at 12:24 PM.
tYNS is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:22 PM   #20
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousozoku
Michael Dell was never about innovation, only profit. He doesn't care to be interesting or different, just rich. He's succeeded.
exactly. he'd make trash if it could make him $$. oh, wait...

Ambrose Chapel is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:51 PM   #21
1macker1
Banned

my .02

You might not like what he's saying, but I can see his point. Dell owns the PC market and the low end Mac mini isn't going to change anything. I think apple will continue to dominate the MP3 market, but they will never controll the PC market. Apple sucks at promoting their computer line. The average joe dont know about apple computers.
1macker1 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:53 PM   #22
srobert
macrumors 68020

I think Michael Dell is pissed off because he predicted Apple's demise back in 2001 in Business Week. Now that makes him look very uninsightful.

Quote:
Quoting Michael Dell: "If you look at proprietary computer companies, whether it's Digital or Silicon Graphics or Apple I think the fates are all relatively similar," he is quoted as saying. "We know how the movie ends. It's just a question of what happens in the middle. Apple has a very little customer base. If you look at the economics, it has been extremely hard for Apple to get a return on its R&D with a shrinking volume base. It's not to say that Apple's products aren't innovative or cool, but the economic factors here are so overwhelming, it's very hard for them to swim against that tide." April 2001
Also of interest:

Quote:
Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Milunovich’s 10-page research note released this morning indicates that the adoption rate of the iPod is greater than the adoption rate of the Sony Walkman in the early 1980s. After 2.5 years on the market, sales of the iPod are about 1 million units ahead of Walkman sales after the equivalent period of time.
Dell calling the Walkman a "fad" is preposterous. The walkman was one of the greatest commercial achievement in the history of consumer electronics. They have been in widespread use for almost 20 years. I really don't understand this guy. Most CEOs would sell their soul to come up with a product achieving the level of popularity the walkman did.

Last edited by srobert; Jan 17, 2005 at 01:34 PM.
srobert is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:00 PM   #23
maya
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
I think Michael Dell is pissed off because he predicted Apple's demise back in 2001 in Business Week. Now that makes him look very uninsightful.

Also of interest:
So what else is NEW, analyst have been proclaiming that Apple was doomed over a decade ago yet here we are.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:49 PM   #24
24C
macrumors 6502a

tYNS posted

"Also of interest: Dell calling the Walkman a "fad" is preposterous. The walkman was one of the greatest commercial achievement in the history of consumer electronics. They have been in widespread use for almost 20 years. I really don't understand this guy. Most CEOs would sell their soul to come up with a product achieving the level of popularity the walkman did."

Good points earlier, and this last one really is interesting news. Steve Jobs & co must be smiling, but I don't see it slowing like Dell's CEO does. It's not a fad, although some people have a vested interest in aligning it to one, it is evolution. I got this guy near me who tunes engines, he just downloaded his first batch of music off iTunes and his only criticism of the whole process, is it's too easy

Fashions or fads follow fashionable people/wanabees, he is neither of these, but he does know what he wants. I can't see the iPod thing slowing for some time, and if it does, it will be because it doesn't follow peoples' expectations.

So "Dell boys" all the time you're chasing businesses you're leaving people behind...enjoy your market share.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:02 PM   #25
nagromme
macrumors G4

Let's take a quick look at the iPod Shuffle vs. Creative and Dell flash players

The Shuffle has only LED indicators, no screen. It opts for simplicity. You can't get to a specific song without skipping through the list, the way CD players work. So you listen to your songs in order, or random, skipping ones you don't feel like.

The Shuffle plays AudioBooks. Dell and Creative don't. (Less functionality? Really? Oh, well, I can always listen to ads on FM.)

The Shuffle has the iPod name. They don't.

The Shuffle plays songs from the #1 online music store. They don't.

The shuffle works with iTunes, and has new Shuffle software features like Shadow Mode and Autofill. They don't.

The Shuffle auto-syncs when you connect it. Dell doesn't (Creative does).

The Shuffle connects as a storage drive without special software. Dell requires you to install special Dell software on both machines first!

The shuffle is smaller and lighter and, to many eyes, more stylish and less showy.

The Shuffle costs LESS for MORE storage. Less even than some thumbdrives that can't play music.

Well, those other CEOs can keep giving free press to Apple if they want. Anyone who didn't already know about the Mac Mini? Dell's CEO can give it another headline to make sure they're curious.
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion