Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your Choice for Video Streaming Service as an iPad User

• Hulu Plus

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Netflix

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Hello Everyone,

There are probably several threads about this topic, but now that both NetFlix and Hulu Plus have released new versions of their iPad apps, and also have matched pricing for their streaming service, I thought it would be time to ask once again what would be the better choice for an iPad user.

When placing your comments please these keep pointers in mind :
- Movie availability
- TV Shows and Series Availability and Selection
- Stream Quality and Performance
- TV-Out Capability (Component and/or VGA)
- Availability of HD content
- WiFi and 3G access
- Playback on iPad and other devices (Wii, XBox, PS3, etc).

Please exclude personal streaming Apps (such as Air Video, etc.) from the Poll.

Thank you all!

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Netflix has a ton of movies along with tv shows. Hulu mostly has tv shows, most of which are already on Netflix. Also, you can access all the new shows on Hulu for free.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Netflix has a ton of movies along with tv shows. Hulu mostly has tv shows, most of which are already on Netflix. Also, you can access all the new shows on Hulu for free.

Does Nexflix have every movie on both DVD and Video Stream or is there a delay in availability for a Video Stream version?

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
For content Netflix blows Hulu Plus away. Hulu Plus shines for those without cable or satellitte. But if you have cable or sat. Then Hulu plus is adundant. IMO. Netflix has as much TV, just different and not as current.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I have both. No option to vote for that. I think video quality is slightly better on Hulu and load times are a little quicker. Both are great to have in my opinion. Use on the iPhone and iPad.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I really would recommend both. Netflix has a lot of stuff that Hulu Plus doesn't have but Hulu Plus allows you to watch the latest episodes of a large selection of TV shows the day after they're released. I absolutely love having both subscriptions. If you can afford both, then go for it. I love being able to watch stuff on Hulu Plus from my Roku on my TV in HD. HD is VERY selective for regular Hulu. If anyone tells you that Hulu Plus isn't worth it... well, try the free week trial for yourself and see if it's worth it to you. I, for one, am extremely happy with my Hulu Plus and Netflix subscriptions.

Also, people who complain about 30 second commercials on Hulu Plus obviously don't know how much money that Hulu has to dish out to get those TV shows. Be thankful that we can even have that option. It's something that Netflix definitely doesn't have.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I really would recommend both. Netflix has a lot of stuff that Hulu Plus doesn't have but Hulu Plus allows you to watch the latest episodes of a large selection of TV shows the day after they're released. I absolutely love having both subscriptions. If you can afford both, then go for it. I love being able to watch stuff on Hulu Plus from my Roku on my TV in HD. HD is VERY selective for regular Hulu. If anyone tells you that Hulu Plus isn't worth it... well, try the free week trial for yourself and see if it's worth it to you. I, for one, am extremely happy with my Hulu Plus and Netflix subscriptions.

Also, people who complain about 30 second commercials on Hulu Plus obviously don't know how much money that Hulu has to dish out to get those TV shows. Be thankful that we can even have that option. It's something that Netflix definitely doesn't have.

Thank you for your comment. I'll follow your advice and get trials for both when I'm ready to spend enough time testing them.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010

But it effects a small amount of people. If you have Cable or Satellite, you already get the new shows. Unless you work or are busy and want to watch later. But DVR works in that case ;). I've had Hulu Plus for two months before I said goodbye. And it's a nice idea, initially it was 10 bucks a month and I thought a bit too pricey for recently released shows. Even without Cable I can get on my PC and watch CBS programming, NBC programming, ABC programming and other stuff.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
But it effects a small amount of people. If you have Cable or Satellite, you already get the new shows. Unless you work or are busy and want to watch later. But DVR works in that case ;). I've had Hulu Plus for two months before I said goodbye. And it's a nice idea, initially it was 10 bucks a month and I thought a bit too pricey for recently released shows. Even without Cable I can get on my PC and watch CBS programming, NBC programming, ABC programming and other stuff.

I don't have the time to sit down and watch the shows when they're aired. Double majoring doesn't give you a lot of free time. Hulu Plus gives me the option of watching them when I want to. There are 2 shows though that I can't watch through Hulu Plus so that's only when I'll watch them on my iPad.

My favorite thing about having Hulu Plus is that I can watch them on my iPad while at my apartment gym on the elliptical. It really passes the time. I've already seen so much through Netfilx streaming that I go to Hulu Plus to see all of the latest stuff, even if I've already seen it.

Something about having Hulu Plus available through the TV is that you can watch stuff on it with friends on your big screen and not through a much, much smaller computer screen.

Biggest sell for me: $2/week to have your shows in HD and on your TV. When I saw my first episode of Modern Family on TV in HD, I was really quite stunned by the clarity. I love it! I don't have HD programming here since it's not offered at my apartment complex so this is really the only way that I can get it.

But really... everyone should at least use the free trial and try to make the most of it to determine if you really like Hulu Plus or if it's really for you. A lot of people will find that it's not suited for them or necessary while others find it awesome and a great service. I just wish they had The Simpsons on it! ARGH!

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I don't have the time to sit down and watch the shows when they're aired. Double majoring doesn't give you a lot of free time. Hulu Plus gives me the option of watching them when I want to. There are 2 shows though that I can't watch through Hulu Plus so that's only when I'll watch them on my iPad.

My favorite thing about having Hulu Plus is that I can watch them on my iPad while at my apartment gym on the elliptical. It really passes the time. I've already seen so much through Netfilx streaming that I go to Hulu Plus to see all of the latest stuff, even if I've already seen it.

Something about having Hulu Plus available through the TV is that you can watch stuff on it with friends on your big screen and not through a much, much smaller computer screen.

Biggest sell for me: $2/week to have your shows in HD and on your TV. When I saw my first episode of Modern Family on TV in HD, I was really quite stunned by the clarity. I love it! I don't have HD programming here since it's not offered at my apartment complex so this is really the only way that I can get it.

But really... everyone should at least use the free trial and try to make the most of it to determine if you really like Hulu Plus or if it's really for you. A lot of people will find that it's not suited for them or necessary while others find it awesome and a great service. I just wish they had The Simpsons on it! ARGH!

I've had Netflix on my TV for over a year and a half. So Hulu Plus doesn't have the corner marketed on that ;).

shaotse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I roll with the iPad streaming "quadra-fecta"

Slingplayer
Netflix
Hulu+
AirVideo

Movies, breaking news, dvr, sports, tv episodes to kill some time, your video library wherever you need it- best to have all bases covered:) It's also good to have an app like iSub to stream your iTunes library-

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Netflix for sure. Hulu plus has like what 330 shows? Most of which are available online on hulu.com. Not to mention, you can watch most of the current shows in abc player and citytv app. Citytvvideo also has how I met your mother and hell's kitchen which hulu plus doesn't.

Although hulu plus interface is 100 times better than Netflix and video quality kicks Netflix's ass.

Last edited:

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
There's an app for that... Comcast

I would happily pay $10/month if I could get a dedicated cable tv app.

Comcast needs to jump on that.

Download the new Xfinity app, it let's you control your digital TVs, set your DVR, has the cable guide..... AND according their website, will offer streaming content for the iPad for it's customers. Comcast has to be seeing the writing on the wall and realizes the next generation will be cable-less, just like this one has no landlines... If it does nothing. Excited to see this finally come about, they already offer content online, this will extend it for the iPad as well.
Cheers,
Michael

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I was surprised how easy it was to stream Netflix to a big screen via the component connections. You can even use component connection + USB from another device so that the iPad doesn't wear down the battery over a long period of viewing.

With Netflix, the video quality will degrade if the connection degrades, but it will keep playing and then improve the video quality when the connection gets back to normal. This is annoying, but at least the video keeps playing instead of stopping.

None of this is as good as an HD playback via Apple TV 2 and the HDMI connection, of course. :) But we have an old Samsung DLP in the basement with a single HDMI connection, and in that case it's oftentimes easier to just plug up the iPad. When you're selecting an old show that isn't available in HD anyway, there isn't much difference between the iPad + components and the Apple TV + HDMI.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Has anyone tried VuDu? I notice they have an app through the PS3 but I have never heard about them before. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.