Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:44 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

John Gruber on Mac mini and iPod shuffle

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: John Gruber on Mac mini and iPod shuffle
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2
zelmo
macrumors 603

Take that, Bill Palmer.

Gruber is correct in his assessment that Apple has, for the first time, made seriously bold strides at being an affordable alternative in the PC market.
People will walk in to the local Apple Store to buy their $99 iPod and check out the Mac mini and, while they may not buy a Mac during that initial visit, enough of them will return and make that purchase later. One of the best selling points of the Mac is that it is not Windows. I conservatively predict that, by this time next year, Apple's share of the PC market will have doubled to 5%.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:16 PM   #3
24C
macrumors 6502a

Gruber's article was first rate, good solid thinking and well rounded comments..Bill Palmer got dunked as well...liked the bit "about taking bets with a street corner lunatic".
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 01:19 PM   #4
3Memos
Banned

I read this last night, or was it this morning. Anyway, good article, he even paints himself as being right even when he was wrong, regarding the screenless iPod. Oh well. It definitely was a bold move on Apple's part.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:06 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G4

He admits he was wrong in some ways, right in others.

A good article as usual. Reason instead of frothing insults a la Bill Palmer.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:36 PM   #6
munkle
macrumors 68030

John Gruber is the best Mac journalist in my eyes. His articles are always well written and well reasoned. Heck he can even admit when he's wrong! Some other journalists would do well to follow his example...not thinking of anyone in particular of course
munkle is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 01:01 AM   #7
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

It's too early to call Bill Palmer wrong. On the other hand, if he's right, it will be a very, very impressive prediction. There are a lot of quite learned and intelligent people in opposition to him on this one.

~J
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:01 AM   #8
3Memos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagetenshi
It's too early to call Bill Palmer wrong. On the other hand, if he's right, it will be a very, very impressive prediction. There are a lot of quite learned and intelligent people in opposition to him on this one.

~J
Bill's whole rant was based around a mac that doesnt come with a keyboard. Whoopee. A lot of PC computers you buy in parts, sort of like DIY and they build it for you. What is $29 for a keyboard of your choice. At least Apple doesn't force it upon you.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:05 AM   #9
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagetenshi
IMO, he is wrong, and hope he is proved wrong, because the start point for his rant was flawed. Yes, they might be some people who fit his scenarios, and I meet dumb ass folk too, and also have my moments.

Thankfully they are not regular occurrences, otherwise euthanasia would be the only option
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:32 AM   #10
Piarco
macrumors 68030

Great article. Its always nice to see someome who is big enough to say they're wrong when they are (re: iPod Shuffle). And it seems to be well balanced enough too - I've seen too many foaming-at-the-mouth opinions/reviews over the last week from both sides of the fence that its getting annoying. Bill Palmers stands head and shoulders above them all though!

And I think its a 100% certainty that Bill Palmer is wrong. I know 5 people alone who will be switching or getting the Mac Mini as a second computer. And a lot of the folks on the hardcore PC website I'm a member of have already made their order - most a buying because its stunning and a good cheap entry into the macworld of which they're so curious. I imagine its going to be the same across the globe.....
Piarco is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:45 AM   #11
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
Bill's whole rant was based around a mac that doesnt come with a keyboard. Whoopee. A lot of PC computers you buy in parts, sort of like DIY and they build it for you. What is $29 for a keyboard of your choice. At least Apple doesn't force it upon you.
Stupid things have happened before: look at the death of the Dreamcast and the Newton.

Not that I agree with him, mind you, quite the opposite. I'm just not ready to say that I'm certain he's wrong.

~J
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:13 PM   #12
nagromme
macrumors G4

After foaming about how the keyboard being optional is confusing, BP now goes on to claim that Switchers are interested in the eMac, not the Mini, and that Apple should re-design the eMac with the keyboard being optional. He also lists things Apple can do to save itself in the next few days before the Mini ships--things like re-design the eMac case, internals, and name, and then manufacture and display the new model alongside the Mini

He's got a few genuine points swimming (often against each other) in a soup of bad logic and defensiveness. Points many others have made in a less emotional way. That's followed, of course, by a few selected emails from readers praising his genius in seeing the Mini for the bomb that it is

I think it's time for BP to stop digging towards, the Earth's core and move on to something else The only face-saving that's possible for him is simply to lie low and then act later as though his position was less extreme than it really was. Flailing so wildly against the Mini cheapens the value given to his opinion for the future, which is a shame.
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion