Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Up to purchasing a Mac i have always used DVDFab to convert my dvds. now that i have a Mac i am using Handbrake, but i cannot obtain the same quality. i have used both apple tv and high profile settings both look really bad. all i want to do is use my apple tv on my big screen. any suggestions? the WDTV i was using prior could play .iso so all my movies were created that way so i could keep the original quality...

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
If the quality isn't turning out, I can almost guarantee you the problem isn't Handbrke, it's the settings. There are lots of threads around ideal settings, so you may need to poke around a bit and stray off of the presets.

Handbrake is the gold standard - you should be able to match or exceed the quality of any other conversion tool. My only other suggestion would be to go and grab the recent Handbrake 'nightly' - they've made a lot of improvements since the latest public release, and many of the recommended settings threads refer to recent nightly builds.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If the quality isn't turning out, I can almost guarantee you the problem isn't Handbrke, it's the settings. There are lots of threads around ideal settings, so you may need to poke around a bit and stray off of the presets.

Handbrake is the gold standard - you should be able to match or exceed the quality of any other conversion tool. My only other suggestion would be to go and grab the recent Handbrake 'nightly' - they've made a lot of improvements since the latest public release, and many of the recommended settings threads refer to recent nightly builds.

+1 (Or you have super-human eyesight.) :D

Be careful with Handbrake settings you find posted here and elsewhere... it's quite obvious that more than a few are just people who have created new presets by randomly changing settings with no rhyme or reason and then declaring that it is the gold standard.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
i can get the picture quality to look great but i cannot get it, using handbrake, to stay in it's original widescreen format

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
What exactly are you seeing? Handbrake won't change the aspect ratio unless you tell it to. It will crop the black bars if there are any.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
What exactly are you seeing? Handbrake won't change the aspect ratio unless you tell it to. It will crop the black bars if there are any.

it seems to be stretching the screen out. some movies the black bars are gone some are there yet the picture is stretched...at this point i could not tell you what settings i am using since i have used just about all presets and different combinations of my own.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Ok - take a deep breath and lets stop throwing random things at the wall so to speak and see what sticks.

First of all - download the latest version of Handbrake from here:

https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

Obviously make sure to download which version you need - 32 bit, 64 bit, etc. Make sure to have the appropriate version of VLC installed as well. Google it if you don't already have it.

From there - make sure to update presets by click Preset - update presets or something along those lines.

Now - you can either try a DVD or one of your iso's - i suggest doing a dvd first but that's just me. I'm sure you have at least 1 laying around.

From there make sure you select the AppleTV preset but instead of doing the whole movie - you should see a chapter selection near the top that says 1 through however many chapters you have. I suggest doing something like 1 through 1 or 2 though 2, something that gives you a small enough chapter but represents the actual movie you want to encode.

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!! Can't stress this enough - just use the default preset.

Now go ahead and press start and you should have a much smaller file but generated much faster. Now load this file up on the AppleTV and see how it looks.

If you are still having problems - one suggestions is maybe delete everything handbrake related and re-install.

I have ripped literally 2400+ TV episodes and 100's of movies and Handbrake has been fantastic.

If you are still having problems - detail what you are trying to encode - movie, pal/ntsc, homemade movie, documentary, etc. Maybe take it to the handbrake forum and post a log.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.