Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 27, 2010, 01:10 AM   #1
gakuran hitori
macrumors regular

iTunes libary size not matching Music folder size

Hello,

I'm using iTunes 9.2.1 and it states that my music library is 159.99gb with 25,994 songs, however the folder containing music files is 171.26gb with 30,309 files. This is a difference of 11.27gb and 4315 files. The folder only contains mp3 or m4a files with their respective album and band folders; no images, text files or anything else. The iTunes folder is located elsewhere. I added the folder to iTunes again to see if there were 11gb of songs I'd forgotten to add and there was no difference. I even deleted all iTunes settings and the current library and added the folder again and it is still missing 11.27gb.

I'm about 95% sure that none of my music collection is missing from iTunes so my first thought was that iTunes is just reading the file sizes and count inaccurately and it really is 171.26gb, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone think of a solution without going though my entire collection and comparing it to iTunes to see if anything is missing?
gakuran hitori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Jolly Giant
macrumors 6502a

if you're on a Mac, you could try if this script helps:
Music Folder Files Not Added v2.0

This application will list the file paths of the files in your designated "iTunes Media" folder which are not in iTunes' library. Additionally, you can select a different parent folder and its contents will be compared to the iTunes library. Options to Add a selection of found files to iTunes or move them to the Trash.
be sure you get the correct version for your OS.

on a winsloth machine the equivalent would be iTunes Folder Watch.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store