Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Planning on getting an Apple TV mainly for music streaming. Majority of the time it won't be connected to the TV with the HMDI lead, only to my speakers.
Is it possible to stream the audio from a film from an iDevice or Mac but keep the video on the current device?
I'm only expecting it to be possible on a Mac, but would be nice if possible on an iDevice also.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I can do this with AirPlay my iPod Touch with an Airport Express (I don't have an Apple TV). The Airport Express shows up on video when I tap AirPlay in the video, and it streams the audio quite well.

Unfortunately, what I haven't been able to figure out if how to stream the audio-only from my Mac (using the AirPort Express). I know Airfoil accomplishes this for a price, but it seems really weird that I can do it on my iPod but not with iTunes.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I can do this with AirPlay my iPod Touch with an Airport Express (I don't have an Apple TV). The Airport Express shows up on video when I tap AirPlay in the video, and it streams the audio quite well.

Unfortunately, what I haven't been able to figure out if how to stream the audio-only from my Mac (using the AirPort Express). I know Airfoil accomplishes this for a price, but it seems really weird that I can do it on my iPod but not with iTunes.
I suspect you'll see AirPlay in OS X 10.7 Lion. A lot of iOS only functions are making there way to Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.