|Nov 28, 2010, 08:20 PM||#1|
Extending Bootcamp Partition?
OSX 10.6/Win7 Professional 64-bit
I was wondering how I would go about expanding the windows partition (I have a ton of free space on the mac side and about 23 GB on the Windows side).
As I understand it, a way to do this would be to go into Disk Utility, shrink the OSX drive, boot into Windows, type in "Disk Management" in the run box, and then click something along the lines of "expand into free space".
Does this work?
If not, could someone explain how you would use WinClone (I found the MR guide to be somewhat confusing).
Thanks in advance!
-HP w/ AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.66 GHZ, Nvidia Geforce GT 240, 750 GB HD, 8 GB DDR3, DVD-RW;
-i7 MBP w/ GT 330M, 4 GB RAM, 1400x900, and 5400 RPM HD
-16 GB Verizon iPhone 4
|Nov 29, 2010, 01:44 AM||#2|
You can't do it that way. Even if you adjust the size of the MacOS partition to be smaller, Windows would only see that space as a seperate partition. That would not increase the size of the C: drive in Windows. At the most, you could format it to be a D: drive.
You want to use Winclone program. It has been discontinued, but I think you can still download it through Softpedia.com
The basic for using Winclone is
1) Attached a USB drive with enough space to backup the Bootcamp partition
2) Run WinClone program from MacOSX
3) Choose BootCamp (Windows) partition from Image selection
4) Create image of partition
5) Run BootCamp Assistant to remove the existing BootCamp Partition
6) Run BootCamp Assistant again to create new partition with new disk size.
7) At prompt to insert Windows disc, close BootCamp Assistant program
8) Run Winclone, select Restore and the image on USB drive to restore to new Bootcamp partition.
9) After restore, boot into Windows. It will run Chckdsk once and restart.
Hopefully after that, it will load Windows. There is a risk, so make sure you backup any data on your existing Windows, in addition to the image backup, to be safe.
Also here is a link to a YouTube video showing the procedure.
MacMini i7 2.3Ghz; iPhone 5S [32GB]; AppleTV (2nd Gen); iPad4 Wi-Fi
|Nov 29, 2010, 07:11 AM||#4|
Let me repeat what was said earlier:
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Placement of Windows partition in a Mac Pro||Fesco||Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac||11||Sep 25, 2011 01:33 AM|
|Help, deleted partition||Nando777||Mac Basics and Help||2||Jul 11, 2011 12:19 PM|
|Extend bootcamp partition?||nomadpass||Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac||1||May 12, 2008 03:09 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.