Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do?

• MacBook pro 2010 13"

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • MacBook pro 2011 13"

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • MacBook air 13"

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • MacBook 13"

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

Jdstew1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Should I purchase a MacBook air 13"? I currently have a 24" 2.66 core 2 duo iMac, a 16 gigabyte iPad and cannot decide between the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. I am a high school student and can go as high as $1499. I would use the laptop for Photoshop, programming, video watching, ilife suite usage, abelton, Microsoft office. Since I am a student weight is an option. What is your opinion? (I would wait for the updated mbp )

bestestever

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
Macbook is the most durable for a high school student, i am a H.s student, i take mine everywhere.. Plastic holds up better, doesnt dent or ding..

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
MBA holds up the best. Macbook plastic scratches and cracks and discolors. MBA tossed in between a bunch of books won't develop any keyboard impressions on the screen (possibility with a macbook), and will be the lightest least noticeable addition to your bag. Well worth it, IMO. No need to wait, make it a Christmas gift :)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Aluminum can easily dents and dings, and scratches to give those deep grooves. It's much less durable than the white polycarbonate in my opinion. Also being thinner, I'm not surprised if the whole thing warp when tossed around with books.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I wish I had that kind of money when I was in HS. I remember working my ass off all summer long so I could afford to buy an Atari 800 (yeah, this was a looooong time ago).

There are very, very few reasons I'd recommend the 13" MBP. In its current form, its performance is laughable when compared to a 13" MBA. You are basically buying an aluminum-clad plastic Macbook and for that reason I'd suggest the plastic Macbook over the 13" MBP. Seriously, its the worst buy in the whole Mac lineup now on a price-to-performance ratio. The only people who defend it are those who are clearly jealous of the 13" MBA out-performing it in benchmarks.

That said, I can see where the optical drive would be of value to a high school student. You'll use it for ripping, watching ordinary DVD's and maybe even playing audio CD's since this could be your only media center in your room.

I'd say go Plastic Macbook and take the $500 you'll save and sink it into something like a really good backpack or maybe some software.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Another vote for the MacBook.

Its durability is the key character, especially for a high school student.

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
I just graduated from College and would have loved to have an MBA during that time. Carrying my hefty laptop in my bag with my steel/concrete books got to be a workout. I vote MBA. How can you afford this? haha

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I wish I had that kind of money when I was in HS. I remember working my ass off all summer long so I could afford to buy an Atari 800 (yeah, this was a looooong time ago).

There are very, very few reasons I'd recommend the 13" MBP. In its current form, its performance is laughable when compared to a 13" MBA. You are basically buying an aluminum-clad plastic Macbook and for that reason I'd suggest the plastic Macbook over the 13" MBP. Seriously, its the worst buy in the whole Mac lineup now on a price-to-performance ratio. The only people who defend it are those who are clearly jealous of the 13" MBA out-performing it in benchmarks.

That said, I can see where the optical drive would be of value to a high school student. You'll use it for ripping, watching ordinary DVD's and maybe even playing audio CD's since this could be your only media center in your room.

I'd say go Plastic Macbook and take the $500 you'll save and sink it into something like a really good backpack or maybe some software.

Yeah I planned to get the 13" mbp but after the mba refreah it just became a silly buy. The only thing it has over the air is storage space. I'll just wait till the next refresh to pick one up

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Should I purchase a MacBook air 13"? I currently have a 24" 2.66 core 2 duo iMac, a 16 gigabyte iPad and cannot decide between the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. I am a high school student and can go as high as $1499. I would use the laptop for Photoshop, programming, video watching, ilife suite usage, abelton, Microsoft office. Since I am a student weight is an option. What is your opinion? (I would wait for the updated mbp )

I am also a high school student and bought the 13in air. I could not be happier with it. I previously owned a 13in MBP 2009 and the new air runs circles around it plus it being 1.5LBS makes a big difference when you have 20+ pounds of books.:D I would say get the air.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.