Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:26 PM   #1
warriorprincess
macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any suggetions about security on iweb program

Hi there,

I have a question regarding mac's iweb program. A couple a years ago I created my artist website using this program. It had photographs and painting that I have done. All images are large Jpeg files.
Now the problem was once this site was up and running online, anyone could easily just click and save all my images on there computer in there full files. Is there anyway I can block this from happening. All my images are pretty big so I fear they can be easily copyrighted. I took it down for a wee bit but now I have to put the site back online.

Does anyone have any suggetions about security on iweb?

Thank you,

Warriorprincess

Last edited by warriorprincess; Nov 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
warriorprincess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2
mrbash
macrumors 6502

If you are serving up static images or using raw picture files, there is now real way for you protect them. You could always watermark your pictures, but I'm guessing you want something more secure.

Unfortunately you don't have many choices. You could build a Flash program to display your pictures. And then sign the flash app so that it only runs on your website. But that's pretty complicated.
mrbash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
warriorprincess
macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I don't think I can build the flash program and I really have no clue where to start.

I'll look into the watermark since I have no clue what it is, but it could be an option.

thanks again for the reply!!
warriorprincess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:15 PM   #4
mrbash
macrumors 6502

A watermark is a translucent logo or text on top of a picture. It is one method of copyrighting your photographs. Most photo manipulation programs (e.g Lightroom) will have a watermark feature.
mrbash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:00 PM   #5
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbash View Post
A watermark is a translucent logo or text on top of a picture. It is one method of copyrighting your photographs. Most photo manipulation programs (e.g Lightroom) will have a watermark feature.
I am also looking into watermarking pictures. I'll look into Lightroom, any other easy ways to do this? I assume I can't do this in iPhoto.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:29 AM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

If you plan to display the images on the internet there is no way you can "protect" them. Watermarks work sometimes, but usually they are in a corner which can be cropped out or in the center of a nice picture that pisses off your potential customers.

If you use low-resolution images (400x600 or similar) they're too small to be of any real use anyways.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help