Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1
mdetry
macrumors newbie

Move Outlook PST files to Mac mail

Finally i have migrated from PC to a marvelous Imac G5 21", 1 Giga ram.

The first thing I need is to migrate tons of emails from Outlook PST to Mac Mail.

I know itīs not strait forward.

Can anybody recomment me a software that does this well?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:02 AM   #2
surfsofa
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to surfsofa
This information is a couple of years old, but should still work...

Convert Windows Outlook mail to Mail.app
Thu, Oct 3 '02 at 09:13AM • from: stephen.bates Converting the corporate Windows user who has all their old email in .pst files for years back? Help them on their way by getting their mail out of the proprietary .pst format and into standards based mbox format. The process sucks a little bit, but it does work if you have both machines on the same network.

On your current Windows machine:

1. Start on a Windows box with Outlook and .pst files (Personal Folders)
2. Download Netscape 4.7X for Windows
3. Launch Netscape, launch Netscape Mail
4. Select File -> Import, choose Outlook 97/98 (regardless if you have Outlook 2000/XP), select Outlook profile (if you have one)
5. Ensure all your .pst files and mboxes are selected (Personal Folders)
6. Wait for the Import to finish, Quit Outlook and Netscape

On your Mac running Jaguar:

1. Launch Mail.app
2. From the Finder, Connect to Server and connect to your Windows Machine
3. Navigate to the Windows machine - C: -> Program Files -> Netscape -> Users -> YourUsername -> Mail -> Outlook Mail.sbd
4. Copy the Personal Folders from the Windows machine to somewhere in your Home Directory (I chose my Documents folder)
5. From Mail.app, choose File -> Import Mailboxes ... select standard mbox files
6. Point towards the directory where you copied the Personal Folders from the Windows machine
7. Ensure all the mailboxes are checked

When it's done, look in the Import Folder in the "On My Mac" folder, and ensure all your imported mail is there. This method should should keep the dates and attachments intact. If you find you have TNEFs, use TNEF's Enough to extract them.
surfsofa is offline   0
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:42 AM   #3
nels0360
macrumors member

You want Outlook2Mac

http://www.littlemachines.com/

It works very well. PM me if you want to buy my copy since I no longer need it.
nels0360 is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2005, 06:44 PM   #4
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nels0360
You want Outlook2Mac

http://www.littlemachines.com/

It works very well. PM me if you want to buy my copy since I no longer need it.
I second Little Machines, it literally took me about 10 minutes to transfer everything perfectly. All attachments, etc. It also kept the organization of my messages (by folder), which was important for me.

It also transfers contacts and tasks very well. One good thing it does for contacts is append the category to the note text. Then when you import into Apple Address Book, you can do a quick find on the category name, and create a group for them. I thought I was going to have to manually re-categorize, but Little Machines saved my life!!!
madmaxmedia is online now   0
Old Jan 28, 2005, 07:55 PM   #5
bigandy
macrumors G3

yet another thing i wish i'd known when i switched!
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:30 PM   #6
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Darnit. I want to do this too, but I no longer have the Windows machines, only a 20-some megabyte outlook.pst file.
notjustjay is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:35 PM   #7
expergo
macrumors regular

i converted my outlook express mail to mozilla thunderbird and took the mbox files and transferred it to my mac and imported the .mbox in mail. simple and free. it retained all the mail properties and wathever else.
expergo is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 04:46 PM   #8
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay
Darnit. I want to do this too, but I no longer have the Windows machines, only a 20-some megabyte outlook.pst file.
If you need help, PM me. I don't know how confidential your Outlook data is, but I could do quick export for you.
madmaxmedia is online now   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews