Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sekoitus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
The sound level on the microphone is very low. Even when input volume is set at max in system preferences -> sound -> input, the level is so low that it's almost inaudible.

When doing a Skype test call (to echo123), the level of my sound is frustratingly low.

If I record a piece with Audacity, the level is also too low. Inaudible. By normalizing it via effects menu I can get the level up but not by that much.

I guess this is not normal...

Can anyone with MBA 11" let me know how their little built-in microphone works?

Maybe I should get this thing exchanged...

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
When I had the 11in, anytime I did a video chat over iChat, the other person said my microphone was VERY low.
Now, though, with the 13in, everything is fine.

sekoitus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Ye, on my 11" the level is so low that even when I speak at moderately loud volume directly next to the microphone, the level isn't high enough to be easily audible.

Called Apple Support, reset PRAM and SMC, going to reinstall OSX and if it doesn't work, then it's exchange time. Boohoo :(

sekoitus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009

Lovely machine but this little mic problem ruined it.

WHY do I always get the faulty machines.

I have had like 15 laptops and 2/3 of them have gone in to repairs sooner or later or have been DOA to begin with.

My luck would be that the replacement has some sort of a bigger problem and there you go...

OSX reinstall didn't fix anything, and now I'm waiting for an exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.