Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

almostt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Mars
i finally have enough cash to get a macbook pro, but do not know if i should just wait til the refresh or go ahead and buy it.
does anyone know anything other than a q1 release, a specific month, or what do you think that the update will include.
my current laptop is broken but i have been using my desktop to get by.
i do need a macbook but i can wait a few months.

any suggestions and no smart ass remarks please.

Nov 28, 2010
located
An often repeated mantra: Buy NOW, if you need NOW, wait, if you can wait.

There is no date or month known for the next update, but it most likely includes Sandy Bridge, but there are already a lot of threads about this in the MacBook Pro forum, so you should find a lot of repeated answers in there.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
i finally have enough cash to get a macbook pro, but do not know if i should just wait til the refresh or go ahead and buy it.
does anyone know anything other than a q1 release, a specific month, or what do you think that the update will include.
my current laptop is broken but i have been using my desktop to get by.
i do need a macbook but i can wait a few months.

any suggestions and no smart ass remarks please.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#MacBook_Pro

MBP will be upgraded in Q1 2011,
with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs and NVIDIA 4xxM series GPUs.
The Intel HD graphics will be 2x faster.
If you can wait, then wait.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Doesn't sound like you really need a MBP now...

I'd wait it out with the desktop if it's not too much of an inconvenience. If nothing else, there may be post-Christmas sales. However, if you'd like to forego the anticipation and just enjoy a new notebook, go and get one now. :)

Other than a speed-bump, I can't imagine what would be included if there is a refresh this soon.

almostt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Mars
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#MacBook_Pro

MBP will be upgraded in Q1 2011,
with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs and NVIDIA 4xxM series GPUs.
The Intel HD graphics will be 2x faster.
If you can wait, then wait.

that is the answer i needed.
i do not need one now, and i am going to wait it out.
also, sales do not matter because i know an apple associate to get me the family and friends discount.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
also, sales do not matter because i know an apple associate to get me the family and friends discount.

Yeah, the current rumor is that there will be a spec upgrade in Q2 or late Q1 2011. However, I've heard the major design overhaul will occur in late 2011/early 2012. That's when I'm going to purchase mine.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
If it was me, i would get one now. The new design overhaul is still a year 'ish' away, as someone else already stated.

I just got a new one a few months ago, and if you do too, you can sell 'this' one on craigslist (for not much of a loss) and pick up the new one in a year.

That would be my plan, good luck!

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown

As you stated that you can wait ... my guess is around Feb the current version will go on sale to make room for the refreshed ones in March Apr.

either way ... waiting a little longer is wise. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.