Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1
black iphone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
restore iphone 3g custom ipsw after ipad baseband update

I upgraded my baseband to 6.15 on 4.2.1. I then tried downgrading to 3.1.2 and using blackra1n to get past error 1500 with the recovery screen. It worked and my baseband was 6.15 on version 3.1.2. I tried using Cydia to install ultrasn0w but it keeps crashing so I tried restoring back to a custom 4.2.1 ipsw. I used redsn0w to put the phone into DFU mode and then used iTunes to restore to the custom 4.2.1 ipsw. It went back to the recovery screen after the restore was done. I tried jailbreaking it with redsn0w to get past the recovery screen but it didn't work. What's the proper way to restore to custom ipsw?
black iphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Dav375
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Take the normal 4.2.1 FW. Then you get the error 1015 in Itunes. then you use Tinyumbrella to exit the Recovery mode.

Greetings Dav375
Dav375 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
WhatAmI
macrumors 6502a
 
WhatAmI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
nvmnd
WhatAmI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:08 PM   #4
iLover1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
why downgrade?

4.2.1 works flawlesly on my 3G with the ipad's baseband.
also i imagine that you upgraded bb in order to unlock.
if it was me i would of done the unlock then try to downgrade, but thats just me and my crazy ideas
__________________
A thief believes everybody steals.
iLover1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:19 AM   #5
aan000
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Unhappy

I hope someone can help! I'm relatively new to jailbreaking and my iphone 3g 4.2, 6.15 is stuck at the restore screen. Is there any way to get back to 4.2? (I've tried custom firmware and tiny umbrella restore kicks, but it hasn't made it work :[).

I got stuck in this mess after reading: http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ml#post5616861. I thought option A meant to get a fresh 4.2.1 and actually use the at&t sim card instead of bypassing it with redsn0w, which I did the first time.

I was having to charged my iphone 3g 4 times within 5-6 hours, using that second method there. I managed to get 4.1 working, but i have no idea how to get that jb (not redsn0w) and unlocked, and I'm not sure if it would be worse than 4.2.

If someone could help this noob that's been going crazy about this it would be so appreciated!

Where I hope to end up with my 3g: getting it out of restore, pref. back to 4.2 where i don't hacktivate it, and then unlocking it for tmobile use.
aan000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
superkid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
It does not work flawlessly. I upgraded a 3g being used on t-mobile to 4.2.1 with 06.15 bb, and the gps doesn't work now. Almost every person who has upgraded to 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband has had GPS problems.

I also need to figure out how to get push notifications working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLover1 View Post
4.2.1 works flawlesly on my 3G with the ipad's baseband.
also i imagine that you upgraded bb in order to unlock.
if it was me i would of done the unlock then try to downgrade, but thats just me and my crazy ideas
superkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Dav375
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aan000 View Post
I hope someone can help! I'm relatively new to jailbreaking and my iphone 3g 4.2, 6.15 is stuck at the restore screen. Is there any way to get back to 4.2? (I've tried custom firmware and tiny umbrella restore kicks, but it hasn't made it work :[).

I got stuck in this mess after reading: http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ml#post5616861. I thought option A meant to get a fresh 4.2.1 and actually use the at&t sim card instead of bypassing it with redsn0w, which I did the first time.

I was having to charged my iphone 3g 4 times within 5-6 hours, using that second method there. I managed to get 4.1 working, but i have no idea how to get that jb (not redsn0w) and unlocked, and I'm not sure if it would be worse than 4.2.

If someone could help this noob that's been going crazy about this it would be so appreciated!

Where I hope to end up with my 3g: getting it out of restore, pref. back to 4.2 where i don't hacktivate it, and then unlocking it for tmobile use.
Do you have the shsh blobs for 4.1? Try the normal 4.1. Then you get the error 1015 because itunes can't identify the bb. then the iphone reboots to the restore screen. then get the iPhone out of the recovery with tinyumbrella. after that jb the iphone with rednsow and then unlock it with ultrasn0w

sorry for bad english
Dav375 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:33 PM   #8
hackthatphone
macrumors 68000
 
hackthatphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
TinyUmbrella does not work on 4.2.1 as far as kicking the phone out of recovery mode. Been there done that.

Unless you have solved this problem yourself, you don't know what you are talking about.

You can downgrade back to 4.1, getting back to 4.2.1? Another issue...
__________________
Writing Mac tutorials for the iPhone since June '07. http://modmyphone.us
hackthatphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:37 PM   #9
lancerx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackthatphone View Post

, getting back to 4.2.1? Another issue...
This is something i really want to know.. specially if i can get rid off bsb 06.15.00 in the future.....
lancerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:10 PM   #10
jc0lmenarez
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkid View Post
It does not work flawlessly. I upgraded a 3g being used on t-mobile to 4.2.1 with 06.15 bb, and the gps doesn't work now. Almost every person who has upgraded to 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband has had GPS problems.

I also need to figure out how to get push notifications working.
I updated my 3G to iOS 4.2.1 with BB 06.15 and it worked just perfectly (Although I have to mention that I didn't "Hacktivate" it, 'cuz I used my legal and official SIM).. I tested the WiFi, GPS, Push and all of the other native functions of the phone and they were working just fine!! I even unlocked the iPad BB with Ultrasn0w and I veryfied my phone was perfectly working..

So I guess, the problem with the GPS and the Push notifications may rely on the way the phone is activated.. I recommend to activate the phones with their official SIMs, don't matter if it's borrowed you just need it for the activation part on iTunes then Ultrasn0w will help you!!
jc0lmenarez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:15 PM   #11
jc0lmenarez
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav375 View Post
Take the normal 4.2.1 FW. Then you get the error 1015 in Itunes. then you use Tinyumbrella to exit the Recovery mode.

Greetings Dav375
How did you kick out the phone from RM using TinyUmbrella on iOS 4.2.1?? That's impossible!! You have to downgrade first to any iOS different of 4.2.1 and then you can use TinyUmbrella to kick out your phone from RM.. That's the way I did, and that's the way everybody has done in the web after getting stuck in RM with iOS 4.2.1 and BB 06.15.. I have iPhone 3G with iOS 4.1 and BB 06.15 unlocked
jc0lmenarez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:26 PM   #12
jc0lmenarez
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
This can help a lot of people!!

I have my iPhone 3G with iOS 4.1 and the BB 06.15 unlocked with Ultrasn0w.. My GPS, Push notifications, WiFi, 3G Data, and everything else are working just fine.. I didn't hacktivated the phone, I used my legal and official SIM for it.. But I really want to upgrade to iOS 4.2.1, 'cuz I felt my phone was faster whit it before I tried to do a master restore with the original 4.2.1 FW and the BB 06.15 already flashed!! (Du-ooh).. My problem is that I can't find a Custom iOS 4.2.1 FW for 3G with no baseband update and no Hacktivation!! I'm on Windows, so I can't build my own FW.. Can anyone help me?? I would appreciate either a custom FW just for restoring and then I'd use Redsnow for JB, or a custom FW with JB included!! Thanks in advanced..
jc0lmenarez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:52 PM   #13
warriorofgod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0lmenarez View Post
How did you kick out the phone from RM using TinyUmbrella on iOS 4.2.1?? That's impossible!! You have to downgrade first to any iOS different of 4.2.1 and then you can use TinyUmbrella to kick out your phone from RM.. That's the way I did, and that's the way everybody has done in the web after getting stuck in RM with iOS 4.2.1 and BB 06.15.. I have iPhone 3G with iOS 4.1 and BB 06.15 unlocked

I agree that your are right because i tried this method didnt work on the other hand I never used umbrella so not sure how it really works after I boot it out whats next. Anyways here is my issue I updated to 4.2.1 first then tried the jailbreak got cydia but then when I click on cydia it opens but nothing happens it just runs in the backround. i tried to restore it and now Im stuck. I just want it to work on any version. Unlock or not can I get it back working. Is it possible to get it working and unlocked at any fireware. Please help.


coe4186@gmail.com feel free to email me.
warriorofgod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 02:03 AM   #14
Northbadda
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Hey everyone, I have the same problem as warriorofgod. Please post the solution here if anyone has any. I kinda understood what jc0lmenarez said but I can't seem to be able to downgrade the firmware to any older version so that tinyumbrella becomes usable. Please help.
Northbadda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:18 PM   #15
argonzero
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Hopes this helps someone out there. I bought a 3G from a friend to mess around with. He only had 3.something on the phone so I upgraded to 4.2.1 using Redsn0w and also updated to base band 6.15. All worked well, and I was able to unlock the phone also. I decided to try bootlace/iboot/idroid also, which worked but was very slow and only lasts about 2 hours on android due to the lack of power management. In any case, the two options to remove the iboot was to run a command from console or restore, which I decided to restore. Unfortunately, I glossed over the part about having to restore to custom firmware after upgrading the baseband to 6.15. I restored the original 4.2.1, which brought me to a continuous "connect to itunes" state, even using recboot or tinyumbrella to get it out of restore mode. I tried downgrading to 3.1.3, where you restore 3.1.3 but use redsn0w to point to 3.1.2 then jailbreak, but that did not work ether although some found success.

So I was left with a 3G with baseband 6.15 already upgraded and no booting os. The following did work for me:

-Restored back to Original 4.1 then use tinyumbrella to exit restore mode. This phone was only version 3.something when I acquired it so there was no SHSH blobs, and it still worked. I remember reading something about SHSH blobs not applying to 3G phones.

-I still wanted to put 4.2.1 on the phone, so I tried countless ways to do this but the only thing that worked was to restore with a custom firmware created from Pwnagetool 4.1.3. Specifically, I did not specify to upgrade the baseband, restored the custom firmware with iTunes and it booted up right after without using recboot/tinyumbrella. Note however, that when I tried restoring a custom firmware 4.2.1. with the ipad baseband 6.15, it restored but failed to boot no mater what I tried.

Hopefully that helps some people, it seems all hit and miss since some people report doing fine with downgrading to 3.1.3. Again, this was upgrading to 4.2.1 with baseband 6.15 already updated.
argonzero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:17 AM   #16
Lense
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0lmenarez View Post
How did you kick out the phone from RM using TinyUmbrella on iOS 4.2.1?? That's impossible!! You have to downgrade first to any iOS different of 4.2.1 and then you can use TinyUmbrella to kick out your phone from RM.. That's the way I did, and that's the way everybody has done in the web after getting stuck in RM with iOS 4.2.1 and BB 06.15.. I have iPhone 3G with iOS 4.1 and BB 06.15 unlocked
hmm i have iphone 3gs, and i tryed ipad baseband , with 4.2.1 and redsnow,

now im stuck i RM , how to get out ? i tryed to use snowbreze to make custom ipsw 4.1 and itunes (Shift) , but getting error in itunes. should i stand in dfu mode or rm in itunes?

what to do to get in OS= im stuck in rm , tinyumbrelle,ireb, etc dosent work
Lense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:21 AM   #17
Lense
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
fixet!

1 use redsnow click firmware 4.2.1
2 tick in redsnow just enter pwned dfu mode right now
3 phone will to black screen and this dfu mode
4 now restore with custom firmware the link is available below
5 now ur phone will come to emergency mode
6 use redsnow again and tick only cydia option
7 ur phone will again hange on apple logo and dont worry
8 just enter boot theater right now
ur phone will come alive and then u can use cydia and can unlock ur phone if ur baseband is upgrade to 6.5.01 and if not then u can use cydia with both option of cydia and install ipad baseband selection and then repeat the above procedure
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JVZF92E)



:-) recovery mode fixet!
Lense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:17 PM   #18
CokeM5
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lense View Post
1 use redsnow click firmware 4.2.1
2 tick in redsnow just enter pwned dfu mode right now
3 phone will to black screen and this dfu mode
4 now restore with custom firmware the link is available below
5 now ur phone will come to emergency mode
6 use redsnow again and tick only cydia option
7 ur phone will again hange on apple logo and dont worry
8 just enter boot theater right now
ur phone will come alive and then u can use cydia and can unlock ur phone if ur baseband is upgrade to 6.5.01 and if not then u can use cydia with both option of cydia and install ipad baseband selection and then repeat the above procedure
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JVZF92E)



:-) recovery mode fixet!

Will the custom firmware work with my iPhone 3G?
Thanks

Edit: For 3G users: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=681MCLXO (4.2.1 custom firmware)

Last edited by CokeM5; Dec 17, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
CokeM5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:55 AM   #19
kooljesh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thumbs up

Thanks a ton !!!!

kooljesh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 10:51 AM   #20
bigterry420
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
i have iphone 3g with 4.2.1 and upgraded baseband to 06.15.00 using redsn0w. I have ultrasn0w installed aswell and it said it was installed properly but for some reason the phone wont unlock. it just says no service. Ive tried reinstalling ultrasn0w and rejailbreaking but nothing seems to work. please help!
bigterry420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 05:47 PM   #21
enferrari
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav375 View Post
Take the normal 4.2.1 FW. Then you get the error 1015 in Itunes. then you use Tinyumbrella to exit the Recovery mode.

Greetings Dav375
tinyumbrella won't work on 4.2.1
use this video if you get error 1015 on a 3G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkro...138&feature=iv
and this video if you get 1015 error on the 3gs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrWs...otation_810113
enferrari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 10:13 AM   #22
awadeee
macrumors 68020
 
awadeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Viper City
Quote:
Originally Posted by enferrari View Post
tinyumbrella won't work on 4.2.1
use this video if you get error 1015 on a 3G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkro...138&feature=iv
and this video if you get 1015 error on the 3gs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrWs...otation_810113
Please check the date from now on when you reply to a post.
__________________
Ebb & flow.
awadeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 09:25 PM   #23
enferrari
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by awadeee View Post
Please check the date from now on when you reply to a post.

It doesn't really matter. People still use old threads to find out info.
enferrari is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:14 PM   #24
SPFH73
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Tried everything above and loads of other guides online!
Nothing seems to work for my iphone at all,
Its on a custom 4.2.1 as it should be and baseband 06.15,
Just need it to boot and it seems like this works for everyone else!
Does anyone have any suggestions for what i can do next?
Cheers
SPFH73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:10 PM   #25
cubanmiami05
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami,FL
Same Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPFH73 View Post
Tried everything above and loads of other guides online!
Nothing seems to work for my iphone at all,
Its on a custom 4.2.1 as it should be and baseband 06.15,
Just need it to boot and it seems like this works for everyone else!
Does anyone have any suggestions for what i can do next?
Cheers
HEy !! Im in the Same Situation !! I upgrade my 3g to 4.2.1 with iPad Baseband , but I want it to restore to 4.2.1 , and I keep getting error 1015 !! I downgrade it to 4.1 (it works ) , Now I want to Upgrade it to 4.2.1 !! Im stuck in DFU !! FML !!! Any suggestion !! If I found a way !! I let you guys know !: )
cubanmiami05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: IPSW 4S 5.1.1 Custom ipsw? Enigmafan420 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 31 Sep 28, 2013 03:28 PM
Cannot get custom ringtones to restore since update? Wookie316 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Feb 14, 2013 10:05 AM
iPhone: iPhone 4, attempting to restore 5.1.1, have tried stiched IPSW, error -1, help. gwynne Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Oct 12, 2012 03:07 PM
Downgrading iPad BB and Custom IPSW KingHuds Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 9 Aug 13, 2012 05:44 PM
iTunes not accepting custom IPSW's? (Baseband preserve upgrade to iOS5 using Redsn0w) orvn Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Aug 13, 2012 02:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC