Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Hello. I am new here so I hope you can help and apologies in advance if I am asking something already answered elsewhere.

In Whatsapp can someone tell me what it actually means if you look at a chat with someone and there is a message in the window saying that they are "online"? Does this mean they are actually in the application and using it or does it just mean that there phone is on and they have a network connection? I am confused between the message that someone is "online" and the one that says they were "last seen at XX.XX".

If "online" means that someone is using the application then I must have a lot of friends who ignore me:(

Its driving me nuts so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zelig

hendrix23

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Hi, do you know if your friends are using iPhones or Blackberries?

I think Blackberries automatically pop up online for 15 minutes after you message them irrespective of whether the person opens the app/reads them.

It is just an indication that it has been delivered to the phone - not read.

with the iPhone I think it does show if they are online or not. They have to open the app to read the message.

Hope this helps.

Anyone able to confirm this!????

stringnet

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
same issue

i have the same issue zelig.

also if i were on whatsapp but were using another app or playing a game, would my contacts still see my status as online?

anyone out there to help??

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I think the online status means the person is using it... (for blackberries)
that is what I came up after using it for years...that is my own theory

on iPhones well they just work in different ways

you really need to read the FAQ of the apps you buy... and no the online indicator does not mean that the messages have been received, it means the other person oppened the app...

the first checkmark means your message has been delivered to whatsapp servers, and the second checkmark means your message has been finally delivered to the other smartphone... it doesn't mean the person already read that, what if someone closed their eyes when oppened whatsapp? there is no way to tell you that the other person read your message you can only see that it has been delivered with 2 checkmarks.

act1980

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Right, my Sister and I have just done a test.

When opening the app and leaving idle it remains online for 5 minutes only before displaying the "last seen" status. This is done by exiting the app using the home button.

If however you open the app and then lock your phone while still in the app it will immediately disconnect you and display the "last seen" status.

This was tested using a wifi connection. We are both running the latest software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.